Is there a 3rd party email for those of us who cant get a Blackberry ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jdub71 no está en línea Stack level 2

No BIS, Opera works great, what do I do about Email?

Advertisement

Is there a 3rd party email for those of us who cant get a Blackberry plan? I have Cellular ONE of East Texas and they dont offer one. I do have an unlimited data plan and my internet and instant messaging work like a charm. Any wisdom for a newbie like me?
    Thanks!

Re: No BIS, Opera works great, what do I do about Email?

Ok, here's what i've come up with so far. I have a web-based email address that i am now forwarding to gmail. Gmail's "mail by google" is on the pearl and pulling in both address accounts. I have an hotmail account that is being forwarded by GetMail to the same mail by google app on the pearl.
    So to recap, i have an unlocked cingular blackberry pearl on cellular one of east texas. They do not offer a blackberry data plan. I have an ordinary unlimited data plan with them. I am using opera mini and mail by google to have internet and email on the pearl. I have jivetalk for my instant messaging. Of course, the phone and sms work perfectly as well.

Got any q's? I'll do my best to answer.

nelsong no está en línea Stack level 3

Dude, I'm having the same issues as you. What's that about mail by google? Is that like a app or what? I can browse using opera, but I don't have email and it's really a drag.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Seeing as you don't have a BlackBerry data plan or BIS plan, you won't be able to get your e-mail sent to your device's e-mail application.

You best bet is to find a web based mail service you can log into and check it from there. The major feature of the BIS plan is that it will push the mail to your device's mail application. Without the plan, there is no way to do this.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    Seeing as you don't have a BlackBerry data plan or BIS plan, you won't be able to get your e-mail sent to your device's e-mail application.

You best bet is to find a web based mail service you can log into and check it from there. The major feature of the BIS plan is that it will push the mail to your device's mail application. Without the plan, there is no way to do this.
    I dont have push email on my pearl, but i definitely have pull email. Mail by Google (google it, its a download) will allow you to have your gmail and pop3 email (via their fetching or forwarding function) on your pearl.

Hope this helps.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

If you go into settings on Gmail and go to forwarding and POP, you can enable POP3. And then set the gmail up on the blackberry. Hot mail doesn't alow POP3 access so on that one going direct will not happen but I think you said you were forwarding to gmail anyway
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Good to know. I was unaware that google had a downloadable app.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck
    If you go into settings on Gmail and go to forwarding and POP, you can enable POP3. And then set the gmail up on the blackberry. Hot mail doesn't alow POP3 access so on that one going direct will not happen but I think you said you were forwarding to gmail anyway
    Does this work without BIS? I've been trying to find something to configure POP or IMAP but havent found anything.

yes. My service provider only offers an ordinary data plan and it works fine.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Quote Originally Posted by nelsong
    Does this work without BIS? I've been trying to find something to configure POP or IMAP but havent found anything.

It only works if you have a Data plan of some sort.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Quote Originally Posted by jdub71
    yes. My service provider only offers an ordinary data plan and it works fine.
    Well, I can't find where to configure a pop3 mailbox on my bb.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsong
    Well, I can't find where to configure a pop3 mailbox on my bb.
    Configure the pop forwarding in your settings for gmail. That can be found in the settings tab of the inbox page when you sign in to your gmail.

Well, here's an update to what I'm trying to accomplish using an ordinary data plan on a blackberry pearl. I downloaded and installed the new OS update tonight and it brought about two very nice changes for me. I was seeing 'data connection refused' in the carrier line of my display, but now it says Cellular ONE. Using Mail by Google has been hit and miss, usually requiring a battery pull to check my mail. It now keeps me connected and runs in the background flawlessly, pulling in my email for when I stop to look at it. Now if I could just figure out how to attach a picture i've taken so i can send it to my blog.

BTW the Cellular ONE (of East Texas) i'm contracted with is somehow not the same as the Dobson Cellualr ONE. Not sure how that works with the same name and logo, but that's what the reps tell me. Anyone else on a Cellular ONE that isnt part of what AT&T just bought out?