Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yikes, I got the pearl last week, originally to just call, as well as sync ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ambivalentpearl no está en línea Stack level 1

Question NEWBIE with 8100/ 723 error, TMOB/MAC, works if I remove SIM? now what?

Advertisement

Yikes, I got the pearl last week, originally to just call, as well as sync calendars and do emails,but came to my senses, and just upgraded to Internet service , added Opera and google maps yesterday, but had spotty svc, couldn't load any pages, so chucked my caches , then the browser cheered up, so added BB weather, BBtools today, and it JUST BRICKED while adding BBtools! It started up, then got a 723 error
    I couldn't reboot with hard reboot, but was able to get it running when I removed the SIM card, but now what?
    I run a MAC so I cant wipe or install OS!
    Im on T mobile too, seems like the Bermuda Triangle for BB?
    I am SOO frustrated! I am currently syncing to my computer to get the backups I can, but then what???
    And what does this have to do with the Sim card anyways?
    Who do I call for support?
    Please advise, this is a nightmare.
    My first experience with BB and non mac and looking like MY LAST, beyond the OS issues, which seem quite unstable once I looked through the forums, the spottiness of web access on BIS on Tmobile is very disappointing ....
    I have an extra SIM card which came with the new phone ,should I get that formatted for my phone and try that one, or is it not the card? please help?

Just adding it seems scarily happy without the Sim card! everything is working! I feel myself falling in love with it again! scary!

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Ambivalentpearl,

Hello and welcome to PinStack - And thanks for such a boisterous and descriptive post, it made me giggle a bit

I myself have had nothing but bad luck with BBtools actually, but others like it, I just haven't had anything but problems with it. I am a BES admin working mainly with PC's of course, but I am one of "those people" who runs cross-platform. I have my PC monitors on my main desk and a 24" iMac on my credenza, and I've played around with the ActiveSync, and no it's not pretty for someone in your predicament.

You say it's bricked? I believe I ran into a 723 error not long ago... is it starting up and then throwing the error then basically asking you to reboot to fix it?

Also, you do have a way to wipe it (sorry if this is too dumbed down but I'm not sure your experience level):

1.) Go to Options/Settings --> Security Options -- > General Settings
    2.) Enable the password
    3.) Click to save and it will prompt for your password you'd like to use.
    4.) Lock the device
    5.) Repeatedly enter the wrong password, it will warn you towards the end that you're going to kill it if you type it in once more incorrectly and make you type "blackberry".
    6.) type blackberry, enter the password incorrectly again and bam, your BlackBerry just committed suicide. It will take some time to wipe and come up again to defaults, you'll need to go through the setup wizard again, etc.

Note: This doesn't remove all applications, but does reset app permissions in most cases which could be causing your flubs. You can also look at the "applications" list under advanced options and delete apps from there, then do a wipe again.

Let me know if this helps or you need any further assistance.

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambivalentpearl View Post
    Just adding it seems scarily happy without the Sim card! everything is working! I feel myself falling in love with it again! scary!
    And by the way, to answer your question about the SIM card, I'm betting on the fact that one of the applications you installed had requested or had attained permissions to the SIM card (phone logs, etc., depending on your carrier as to where that data is stored), and the Java error came about because of conflicting permissions with another app which is also utilizing the SIM.

Hi thanks SO much..
    Those arent dumbed down, they are just my speed-
    one speed , no brakes..
    As a reformed Luddite in the world of tech I'm a very bad combination of adventurous and ill informed...makes for fun situations like the below.

I have been able to backup data after removing the SIM so thats good...

So -
    1. If I understand you correctly you think there might have been a file permission change in one of those downloads that conflicted with the SIM and made it unhappy? Because no its not a BRICK, that is true, I was being too dramatic ( ahem), after the ( secretly evil!) BB download it started up well, then made the 723 error when it started to network...and now without the SIM it's happy -

2. And you also saying if I drive my phone to commit suicide, it won't end up with a full lobotomy, but will come back to life having forgotten me and all the evil apps I foisted upon it , with its original pre-relationship brain all ready to be re-programed by me for me? Thats just Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Is that really true?

3.How can I do this with other situations in my life? And myself?

4. Maybe I should install WIN Paralells for my macbook pro
    and run the windows apps for this from there?

Hmmm what do you think?
    Suicide or brain surgery via Windows?

No matter what thanks, that was SO helpful and it cheered me up to know I amused someone...depending on what you say, and what I can find out about the pesky SIM card
    Ill try to drive it to suicide tomorrow, after work!
    ( just wanted to type that!)

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Haha LOL... As I am headed to bed and responding via bb, I will answer the most important question which is no, it will not format or "Nuke" the device, which would leave it without an OS, but I find it a more intense cleaning than a regular "wipe handheld"... You can nuke it down though using the mac with a javaloader tool. If you end up needing that let me know.

YAY IT WORKED! Thank you so much! You really saved my bacon and mind and faith in BB. I will have to change my name if this keeps up!

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambivalentpearl View Post
    YAY IT WORKED! Thank you so much! You really saved my bacon and mind and faith in BB. I will have to change my name if this keeps up!
    Haha well I'm very glad to hear that! Now just watch what you download and you'll be good to go

usmcangel no está en línea Stack level 2
    lol i got to say after having a really bad few days you made me laugh with your posts. i should add you to my bb messanger incase i need cheering up glad you got your bb fixed.
    Stasha

Dangerous newbie ...lost my BB stickies app

Now see I am easily an endless source of amusement , because here's the new doofusy thing I did - I deleted my STICKIES app on my BB by mistake... I thought I was deleting that stupid " today notes' thing but my beloved stickies went instead. I deinstalled and reinstalled sync manager for mac, put my device back to " first settings" and synced, everything else came through- but not the stickies app. Any thoughts? I cant find stickies as standalone freeware. See how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing? (When i was a kid I used to try to fix my own bike, and invariable screwed the brakes up- ) I may as well also admit now, my students have a betting pool going on ho long it would take me to kill the BB. But when I crashed the OS after 5 days last week, though noone made any cash because they had been too generous and given me 3 weeks at least... Losers!

Check it out -messing with the BB somehow deleted my stickies app from my MAC also.. it won't open anymore . So I had to download "Pacifist" and am now opening my ahem '"package" in the original osX disk to reinstall to my Macbook pro. This is why I am a mac person, Im just 100% dangerous around OS's... they should hire me to wreck software. Anyways Im stil looking for a way to get the stickies back to BB so lemmie know if you do...and Ill keep you updated on my exploits ...I guess I COULD update from Tiger to Leopard but Im scared.. wouldn't you be if you were me?

So Pacifist didnt work to get my stickies going again...
    It seemed to think the app was all there already and permissions were good.. I backed p my stickies DB, but what do you think of next steps? should I trash my stickies prefs in Library? Should I wipe something in BB and start again? Please advise , what you would do ( besides buy a pad and paper) sorry to be annoyingly dependent....

Trashed the prefs, got the app back on desktop, lost the data, isn't this thrilling?

usmcangel no está en línea Stack level 2
    i take it you didnt get your stickies back?
    Stasha

Hi I got them back on the mac in a backup file, reinstalled them on the mac, but cant figure out how to get them back into the BB do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance hope things are well with you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast