Hello. I am interested in the blackberry pearl. I have actually been a prepaid user ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

LadyRaider no está en línea Stack level 2

New User questions

Advertisement

Hello.
    I am interested in the blackberry pearl. I have actually been a prepaid user for the last years because I don't use a phone much. However, I have always liked having a wifi enabled palm for accesssing the internet, playing games and keeping phone numbers and a calendar.

I think it might be good to go ahead and combine these interests.
    Here are my questions about the pearl:

1. I am looking at the t-mobile version because it seems that the data plan is cheaper and I think I will do okay with the 300 monthly minutes plus favs programs.

I'm not missing something... t-mobile's bb unlimited IS cheaper than what cingular offers, correct?

2. How is the small keyboard really? Part of me thinks I should wait for newer phones (crimson?) that will have the fuller keyboard... BUT I am not used to ANY keyboard right now, and I DO like the "real" cell phone look of the pearl. I think I prefer it to the look of the dash, blackjack and other blackberrys... but I hope it will have a suitable screen for web surfing?

3. I would mainly like to surf the web on this phone and perhaps use it as a modem for my computer in a pinch. Are these things this phone handles well or are there other options?

4. On the t-mobile service, if I get the BB plan for 20 bucks, I believe I still need to purchase the text messaging plan for 5 dollars. Is this correct? The text messaging/picture messaging is not included in the BB plan.

5. It's a big jump for me to go to a cell phone bill and contract. But if I get a nice toy that does a good job of surfing the web, plays games and perhaps plays audio books when I travel, plus looks good as I am a tech toy junkie, then, I'm good. What do you think? is the pearl right for me?

Thanks for any help!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: New User questions

1. I'm not missing something... t-mobile's bb unlimited IS cheaper than what cingular offers, correct? YES

2. How is the small keyboard really? Part of me thinks I should wait for newer phones (crimson?) that will have the fuller keyboard... BUT I am not used to ANY keyboard right now, and I DO like the "real" cell phone look of the pearl. I think I prefer it to the look of the dash, blackjack and other blackberrys... but I hope it will have a suitable screen for web surfing? It's okay, depening on the size of your fingers. I have avg size fingers for a 20something male and I have no real issues with it, but do prefer full qwerty over the suretype

3. I would mainly like to surf the web on this phone and perhaps use it as a modem for my computer in a pinch. Are these things this phone handles well or are there other options?
    Modem: Yes...But don't expect broadband speeds...There are posts around here comparing speeds and speed tests. As far as web browsing, its kind of tedious because of the smaller screen (much more scrolling involved).

4. On the t-mobile service, if I get the BB plan for 20 bucks, I believe I still need to purchase the text messaging plan for 5 dollars. Is this correct? The text messaging/picture messaging is not included in the BB plan.
    Correct. Text messages are not included in the BB Data Plan

5. It's a big jump for me to go to a cell phone bill and contract. But if I get a nice toy that does a good job of surfing the web, plays games and perhaps plays audio books when I travel, plus looks good as I am a tech toy junkie, then, I'm good. What do you think? is the pearl right for me?
    Go for it...You have a trial period where you can take it back if you don't like it with no penalties.

LadyRaider no está en línea Stack level 2

Thank you for your response!

I'm still a little iffy on the keyboard right now. But from the pictures, the 8800 won't have a camera? I defnitely want a cell phone with a camera.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

one thing about the new 8800 you would like as opposed to the pearl is that it will be wifi enabled (the pearl isnt maybe I'm wrong but from your post I got that maybe you thought the pearl has wifi)...the only problem with the 8800 is no one knows exactly when its coming out and since you also want a camera there might be two versions of the 8800 and the one with the camera will be coming out later (this is from all the info we have gathered so far)

beeballman no está en línea Stack level 2

New User Question, How much battery life does standby mode save you sa compared to just locking the keyboard?