Hello, I received a (used) BlackBerry 8100 from a friend, it is an unlocked AT&T ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dzjepp no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb New user: BlackBerry 8100

Advertisement

Hello,

I received a (used) BlackBerry 8100 from a friend, it is an unlocked AT&T version that I use with my T-Mobile sim card.

Works pretty good so far, but I was wondering what I can install on it, mostly to manage & perhaps an os upgrade?

The about options say:

BlackBerry 8100
    Wireless Handheld (EDGE)
    v4.2.1.96 (Platform 2.3.0.78)
    Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.34

Advice on what OS version and where to download would be much appreciated. I don't want to dive in myself with fear of bricking.

Thank you

Also I have some .jar .jad games on a microsd card that I'd like to install to the phone if possible. I can browse the phone in windows explorer but I don't know how to do that, can it be done?

Oh I've plugged the phone via usb to my Vista pc and it installed the Vista driver and I can browse fine but there is a message on the phone that says USB charging current is not sufficient.

Is this a Vista issue? I'll try an XP machine and grab the official USB driver

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    if you go here
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=87658
    you will find the official OS release for your 8100 (make sure you download the one for your 8100.
    after it's downloaded and installed all you should need to do is delete the vendor.xml file
    (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)

with the vendor file gone you can just plug in your BB run Desktop manager, if you don't have desktop manager look for it here:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    I would recommend getting at the VERY least 4.3 but 4.5 and 4.6 have been used and tested and I think are working great.
    (I've never used 4.6 but 4.5 works AWESOME!)

to browse your mem card all you need to do is go to the "media" icon then hit menu and explore

navigate to the .jar file you have, scroll over it hit menu and then "download"

once you get the desktop manager and the OS software that USB charging error will disappear
    Last edited by luciferseamus; 10-06-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Lightbulb

Thanks, quick question, since it's an unlocked AT&T version and I use T-Mobile, will this cause any problems after the OS upgrade?

cbeslash no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    26936cc9
    Quote Originally Posted by dzjepp View Post
    Thanks, quick question, since it's an unlocked AT&T version and I use T-Mobile, will this cause any problems after the OS upgrade?
    No you can use any carriers os just be sure to delete the vender xml file before upgrading.

Sorry again,

I'm sure this has been asked before but,

If I download the Package Version: 4.5.0.108

Does it matter that it has "EastAsia" and that it is Vodafone Australia?

Is this why deleting the vendor.xml file is important?

Thanks

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you download an OS that is not from your service provider... Then yes, you must delete the vendor file. Don't forget to do a backup before you upgrade your OS. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

How long does the os update take? I have Vista x64 and I don't think it's working. On the phone I see the screen that shows the BB and the PC icon and the 2 "sync" arrows, but it dosen't go beyond that, I waited for 30 minutes. Plus, the BB desktop manager dosen't respond to any clicks to open the apps (backup and restore, sync, etc.)

I think I might need to install everything on my XP laptop, hopefully that will work.

And thankfully, I had to get brave and unplug the usb cable from the phone, it didn't brick the phone, and about still says the old version numbers.

bump

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    the update should take about 30 min. if you were able to unplug the phone without it bricking it means something got hung up and it didn't start the update.

try it on the XP computer I'm sure you'll have better results
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

deafcyclist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243F42A5
    If you want some good theme once you upgrade to 4.5 or higher, try this out it a theme based on Bold and looks to be my favorite so far.

http://www.thezman.us/news.php?n=d&id=24

Not too sure if I could help you with the OS upgrade since I did it over a month ago and can't remember all the details.

The reason why vendor.xml needs to be deleted is so it can works better on phones on other carriers. Not sure what issues there would be if you don't delete it, can't remember lol.

OS4.5 update is worth it though, better flexibility with themes and better BB browser and Media browser. It also have a feature that is particularly useful for the 8100 called Memory Cleaner. I set this on the right convience key and it is very useful for some of the times when your 8100 may seems slower than usual. I always press the button every time after I turn it on, seems to make it faster.

Hopefully you can learn everything you need and enjoy the phone with the updated OS