So I just picked up a pearl and I want a little help. I can ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tones no está en línea Stack level 1

New To the wonderful land of Pearl, Need Help!

Advertisement

So I just picked up a pearl and I want a little help.

I can use the phone/features just fine, but I have a couple questions that I'm sure any long time user knows the easy answers to.

#1. Is there a way I can add new contact from my computer without using Outlook? Can I just pkug it in using USB and type in new contact info using me compute keyboard?

#2. Are there any apps or anything like of the such that a new BB user should be aware of right off the bat?

#3. Any special instructions or mods I should be making right away?

Any help would work, I love this phone but would like to 'tweak' it out as much as possible

Thanks!

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: New To the wonderful land of Pearl, Need Help!

what carrier are you with, what's your current OS, are you using BIS or BES?

1. i don't know about adding contacts cause i don't have outlook synched with my phone.

2. there are many apps that may interest you:

3rd Party Apps -
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._software.html

you can search that forum for all kinds of apps, you can also click on "blackberry downloads" up top on right under recommended.

3. I copied this from another thread:

Here is the link to the Cingular OS

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

Here's the forum for the Rogers OS
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ers_4_2_a.html

Here's the Italy OS link
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...y_8100_os.html

4. if you want some new themes, wallpapers, ringtones go here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...allpapers.html

remember if you go to "forums home" there are numerous sections & threads to read, search and ask questions in and about.

p.s. welcome to Pinstack!!

post back if this helps and if you need more assisstance.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As to Question one? You can't just connect it to your PC and type the info. There are multiple PIMs other than Outlook that Desktop Manager will sync with your contacts you can also use a comma separated, AscII file.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm not aware of any programs that might be available that will allow you to type your info in by keyboard, but someone else might be. There are some appa that other stackers swear to, such as beyond411 and google maps, and others. I try to keep my memory free to help it run faster. The first mod that I would suggest is to upgrade to the newest available OS for your phone, there are more available but becareful which ones you use.

Welcome to the stacks! You will learn a lot of useful information.

r2d2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

I would say operamini and jivetalk are a must have.. although it's troubled me many times with setting the TCP settings correctly to get them to work, they are great apps. opera mini you can get at www.operamini.com and jivetalk you can purchase at beejive.com, its about 30$ i believe but its a really great multi IM tool that uses aim, yahoo, and many others. It doesn't log off randomly like ramble IM either and has a nice interface.

r2d2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

I'm on cingular, and the default TCP settings wouldn't work for either of these applications. sorry i forgot to include this in my last post. the TCP settings i use are:

APN: isp.cingular
    Username for APN: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password for APN: cingular1

These worked after resending service books and a battery pull and now everything's fine!

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by tones
    So I just picked up a pearl and I want a little help.

I can use the phone/features just fine, but I have a couple questions that I'm sure any long time user knows the easy answers to.

#1. Is there a way I can add new contact from my computer without using Outlook? Can I just pkug it in using USB and type in new contact info using me compute keyboard?

#2. Are there any apps or anything like of the such that a new BB user should be aware of right off the bat?

#3. Any special instructions or mods I should be making right away?

Any help would work, I love this phone but would like to 'tweak' it out as much as possible

Thanks!
    I suggest you read the "Complete Guide to Blackberry Pearl" in the top of this forum.. It should answer most questions.