Dear All I am a brand new Blackberry Virgin and am having some trouble doing ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

janet77 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question New to Blackberry - HELP!

Advertisement

Dear All

I am a brand new Blackberry Virgin and am having some trouble doing a few basic things on my new 8100. The website(s) and manuals seem to offer no help. I hope you can:

1. Does the device have a Flight Mode?
    2. Can I add/remove items from the Home Menu on the main screen. The manual suggestion of pressing the menu button to hide items doesn't work.
    3. I am using my own email accounts (rather that Enterprise - is this a mistake?) and there can be a good 10 minute delay before emails come through. Is this standard or am I missing something? I am connecting via Orange in the UK. The Wireless icon has GPRS by it.
    4. When I do get email all my junk mail arrives too. Is there a way to click on a message and add it's sender to a "Junk Mail Filter" as there is on most email programs?
    5. When I miss a call - how do I find the list of who I've missed?

Sorry - this is all probably very basic to you all but I'm stuck.

Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

janet77

jahnks no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: New to Blackberry - HELP!

Welcome to the Blackberry Pearl!

To answer some of your questions:

1. Flight Mode - I am not sure if there is flight mode, there is a standby mode though. If you hold down the mute button which is located on the very top of the phone, it puts it into standby.

2. You can change the home menu by going into the menu and selecting Organize Applications. The first 5 applications you have listed will be the ones that show up on your home screen.

3. It is standard for me that it does at time take 10min for an email message to come through. This is especially true for my work email. However, it seems that my gmail account comes through almost instantaly.

4. There is not a junk mail filter that I know of. I guess if it is setup on your mail server allready it should carry that information over to your phone, but I am not sure.

5. When you miss a call just click on the send icon on the phone and brings up who you recently called, the ones in yellow are your missed calls.

proanim8r no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E693F2

Regarding "Flight Mode," you can turn off the wireless functionality of the Pearl and use it strictly as a PDA while in flight.

janet77 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you both very much.
    j

tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200

To turn off flight mode, navigate to the icon that says "Turn Wireless Off", it will look like an antenna. This will turn off the wirless radio.

As far as email speed, it depends, for me, my GMails is almost instant, but my work email varies. If I notice a slow down of my work email, I can usually resend my service books and it will speed up again. To resend service books, log into the BIS site.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using BIS versus BES. The only reason to use BES is if you work for a company that uses it.

Regarding junk/spam email. Your best bet is to edit these settings in your mail app. If you use Hotmail/GMail, edit the filters there.
    Smartphone Reviews-

Technophobia

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Janet.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Omg its 8 in the morning and I'm so late on this thread. R you pol sleep with your laptops on? Lol jk

Let us know if you need any other help.

BB Downloads
    www.*****.com

Johnni no está en línea Stack level 2

Welcome to the site! You'll love it. I certainly do.