Hello Just upgraded to a blkbry8100 with at@t. got it threw cost co. 50.00 out ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jma375hh no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile New to Blackberry 8100

Advertisement

Hello Just upgraded to a blkbry8100 with at@t. got it threw cost co. 50.00 out the door. I just have basic service. so now after just a few days I have some Questions.
    can the os on these phone be upgraded. Desktop sw worked with winxp but not with vista home pro, keep getting error message. even with latest desktop release. whats the biggest micro sd card it will handle. my os on the phone is v.42196 platform 23078. and do you need to subscribe to blackberry service in order to send and receive emails. I know I am asking alot but we live in Alaska and this is really new to us. thanks and I am glad to have found you all.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    yes, that is the BEST part about owning a blackberry...you can upgrade the OS
    did you download DM 4.3? if not, uninstall the current DM and reinstall using this link:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...age_guide.html

you have a pretty new OS
    look here for latest, greatest:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86

you cannot send or receive email, browse the internet, or use PIN messaging without a data plan (and that's a Blackberry data plan) ... you won't be able to send MMS (picture messages) either without a bb data plan.

card size, 2gb for now. i think i read you might be able to get a 4g working with the newest software loaded...

welcome to pinstack

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    i think cherri covered everything lol but just wanted to say welcome!
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Hey jma375hh....Welcome to stacks, you will be VERY impressed by this site, its great, gives you a lot of important info, and the people here are very helpful.

Well, you can upgrade your OS, you just have to find the latest from your Carrier, I'm with ATT also, and I'm running the same OS as you (v4.2.1.96).

And as for you Error, I personally HATE Vista, worst OS (IMO). So I'm not sure what the problem is there...you are downloading the Desktop Manager 4.3 right?

And as for your micro SD, I heard that it will support a 4gb Memory card, but I use a 2gb and it works flawlessly.

And yes, in order to receive and send emails, you need a Data plan, but I'm not sure if you can just pay as you go (kinda thing) for emails, but I don't think that's a very good Idea, I'm sure its VERY Expensive that way....

and to get the most out of your BB, I totally recommend that you get a data plan, if not, you'll be missing out on a bigger better BB world.

Here are a couple helpful threads that you should check out:
    The BlackBerry 8100
    Must Read Threads

Darn...should've did a refresh before posting!! oh well

WELCOME Lol

Thanks to everyone Great Info Ill keep plugging along. I feel better about my purchase. Thanks Again

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Welcome to the stacks

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Welcome to the stacks!! I got my pearl January 6 of this year and since then I can't be without it! If you can afford the data plan, you will find your pearl to be a very effective asset. I get emails forwarded to my pearl, have the latest news available with a scroll of the trackball, and I get looks of jealousy every time I bust it out.

Tl;Dr: blackberry pearl, f*** yeah!

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com

Also, vista sucks. Unless you have a dual-core with 2gb ram. I used it for a month, and back to XP with me! Aside from 1 driver problem (that I fixed by getting a graphics card) my computer is so so fast! Also, there is the new XP SP3 you can now download too.

Lol welcome again!

Vista is on new laptop may scrub it and install xp I have tried installing latest BB desktop with no luck. works good on my tower with xp media. but that does not do me much good for traveling.

sadie84 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask
    welcome to the stacks!
    Like the angel you are you laugh creating a lightness in my chest,
    Your eyes they penetrate me,
    (Your answer's always 'maybe')
    That's when I got up and left.