Hey all, I jumped into my pool with my old phone in my pocket so ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

yoonabomb no está en línea Stack level 1

New Pearl owner, few noob questions. Yes I've read faqs.

Advertisement

Hey all, I jumped into my pool with my old phone in my pocket so here I am now with a Blackberry Pearl. I followed the instructions on updating my OS and deleting all the unecessary stock pics and ringtones so I'm not a complete noob.

Can I utilize any map functions without a data plan? (I'm guessing no)
    What useful applications can I use without a data plan?

Thanks

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: New Pearl owner, few noob questions. Yes I've read faqs.

You kind of limit yourself without a data plan. If you're with T-Mo, it's only $20/month.

You can't really use maps, because all of the map programs don't install all data on your bb (it'd take up too much precious memory), but download the info as it's needed.

You should still be able to download some cool games (search for the newest version of pacman, which utilizes the pearl and has sound) if you're into games.

You can download themes, games, a chronograph program... but honestly, the coolest programs are the ones that take advantage of the internet.

BBWeather, Google Maps, AskMeNow, Berry411... all of these require data plan. Sorry.

Founder no está en línea Stack level 3

If you haven't data plan, you wasted your money buying ANY Blackberry device.
    Without it, you can use only phone functions, which are much better on other (and cheaper) phones.
    In space no one can hear you scream.

Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock Jelly Bean 4.3)
    Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II (CM 10.2)

CoolJ no está en línea Stack level 1

I do not have a data plan, and I can use my BB maps and Google maps. Can't use my browser though, but I have high speed internet access all day at work and at home. So it really doesn't bother me.

ameilius no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DDD916

its all preference i guess... but i couldnt see having a BB or Treo or SK etc etc without data!

jlim0930 no está en línea Stack level 2

ouch ! i did this two times with my old phones.....

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ
    I do not have a data plan, and I can use my BB maps and Google maps. Can't use my browser though, but I have high speed internet access all day at work and at home. So it really doesn't bother me.
    are you on tmo ? how are you doing this ?

I have just the tzones plan and i am not able to use google maps nor bb maps
    Last edited by jlim0930; 08-16-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerged.

CoolJ no está en línea Stack level 1

I am using AT&T. I'm sure that I am getting charged for data transfer when using the maps, but I do not have a data plan.

I was able to do this when I got my phone brand new. Then I upgraded the OS, and my BB maps disappeared. Found the fix for it here, got it back, and it worked. Then I downloaded google maps and that worked too.

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

I am using AT&T. I'm sure that I am getting charged for data transfer when using the maps, but I do not have a data plan.

I was able to do this when I got my phone brand new. Then I upgraded the OS, and my BB maps disappeared. Found the fix for it here, got it back, and it worked. Then I downloaded google maps and that worked too.

Yes ATT does charge 1 cent per kb, you will definitely see that on your next bill.

Hey Yoona Welcome, you don't need to have a data plan although in order to use a blackberry's full potential, a data plan is the way to go. It all depends on your situation, do you want it? do you have an extra 20 or 30 dollars a month for the data plan? is it something that can benefit you?

It really is up to you! Welcome again and good luck!

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

IMO, the data plan really opens up the complete functionality of the phone. Yes, you can certainly use it as a regular phone/PDA without a data plan, but its pretty limited. Lots of people do it, but I agree with some others that for a lot less money you can have a much better "phone only" phone than this. I would only spend the money for a BB if I planned to use the data connection. But thats just me.

If you really like the phone (and who wouldn't? ) and don't mind not having some of the functions, then rock on.

Welcome to the Stacks!
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

sarge_44 no está en línea Stack level 3

How can you use these two maps without a data plan?