Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by Kortanis I spend 51 minutes on the phone and this is everything ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

Re: New Pearl OS: 4.2.1.101 Multi-Language

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis
    I spend 51 minutes on the phone and this is everything I could weasel out of them.

Basically this is how the system works.

- Major software revisions are done by RIM, i.e. 4.xx, etc.

- Minor software revisions are done by the provider, i.e. 4.2.xx.xx. When a partnered provider informs RIM of an update they update the RIM site. As long as you have the development package you can create a minor revision.

- Minor revisions are intended for provider specific fixes only. Inadvertantly, these fixes might correct or inhibit features used by other providers. The minor revision version numbers are not necessarily in numerical order between providers, but it seems that the different providers try to keep it that way.

- Mobilkom Austria (A1) is not partnered with RIM. If they wanted to they can create minor revisions of the device software. It is up to them to release it ina public friendly manner.

- Conclusion. RIM does not know about the 4.2.1.101 application release, this does not necessarily mean that it is harmful, merely that it's not theirs. The actual origin of this release is currently unknown. For the time being it will be assumed that it in actuality it is from Mobilkom Austria and is not harmful, only that A1 is really bad at maintaining a professional site.

*Warnings* RIM and your provider would recommend that you only install partnered releases from your provider only. Installing a release that is not from your provider will void your warranty.
    Installing this release in particular (as well as any release) is at your own risk.

Sorry, I couldn't nail this down entirely, but that's really as much as I could get them to tell me. I guess the only thing left is to contact A1 directly, but that would take one of thier subscribers I think.
    Thanks for the research,
    I downloaded this OS late last night and have to say everything is working great! I scanned it with an antivirus program before installing it on me blackberry and it came up clean. (habit) Not sure if that would even pick it up but just thought i'd share.

So far i have noticed:
    Blazing fast OS
    Access memory card much faster
    All aps seem to be working just fine if not faster
    Call quality and signal strength seem to be improved.

So far this OS might be a stable fix to the "call drop" issue but as most of us already know, only time will tell.

I will report more results as time goes by,

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I've had this version running for a couple of days with no problems, but I have to say I'm nervous over the issue of whether this is a legit version. I'm considering going back to the AT&T version I had previously but really don't want to go through all of that if it's not necessary. What are the thoughts from the experienced ones in this community?

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

While not an expert in the BlackBerry community, I've done extensive research on computer and network security. Here are my thoughts -- you can take them for what it's worth.

After installing the update myself, I notice that the installer is the same as any "official" release I've done. I too scanned it for viruses as is my custom and found nothing.

While there are valid points that this could effect not only the BlackBerry but the host computer. For a person to create a "bad" version that looked and acted just like an "official" release and also fixed some problems for people and perhaps added support for a larger memory card would take a ton of work. Furthermore, the number of BlackBerry users in the world is honestly a small portion of the number of computer users in the world. Where I'm going with this is that there is a lower probability of creating a virus or some other evil thing for a small audience. Why do you think Microsoft operating systems have so many viruses? They are the most widely used OS in the world.

I'm all for being careful and could not fault anyone for being suspicious. Since I'm not on a BES and am relatively careful, I decided to go for it and found it to be much faster with better response. I'm guessing it's legit but again, that's just my opinion.

I did some looking into the log files. I shut off all updates and anything that may use data and left the phone for a while. I saw no suspicious network activity and while this may not be scientific, it was enough to put my mind at ease for the time being.

I will definatly be watching this closely and make no claims to be any sort of BB expert. But in my mind, the only reason to hack a BB would all relvolve around network access -- and without any suspicious network access, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Just my $0.02 and some simple research.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

dgy2k1 no está en línea Stack level 3

I was under the impression that this new OS came from Vodafone in Germany. It has a new Vodafone theme. I have been using it since I came across it on this thread a few days ago. So far, no problems. Actually it's faster than the last one from AT&T .96.
    Last edited by dgy2k1; 07-10-2007 at 10:39 PM.

geelexus no está en línea Stack level 2

Did I read somewhere that with this OS/firmware (which ever you choose to call it) you no longer need to have the DST patch application? So does that mean I can delete it now that I updated? Thanks in advance I just don't want to delete this and then find out I need it still and try and find it all over again BTW it took me all of about 40 minutes to update and so far so awesome! Everything seems to be working fast and without problems. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Varekai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Well I redid opera 4 beta and the TCP settings, and its working, but I can't accept the End User agreement. When I click menu in the page no matter where I scroll to I can only click Exit, which exits opera. When I bring Opera back up its at the agreement page again. Any suggestions? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

is it possible to use either the q/w key or the o/p key to accept the EULA?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Yes, in Opera Mini the QW and OP are the softkeys for the program. There are a couple of threads on here somewhere that have a pretty nice rundown of the softkey assignments in Opera Mini. I can try to find them and link them in here if it would help.

To your specific question, use the QW to accept the EULA.

PIN/ID

Thank you so much Amfrey, the QW key did work!

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Found it. (Although it looks like you don't need it now, glad you got it working.)

PIN/ID

ya I always wondered what buttons to use for the top right and left options, seeing as how you cant use the end and awnser call keys. Opera 4 is running perfectly for me now. Thank you for that link LaTuFu, Im checking it out now, its real nice. Wish Id known about that before ^_^

SDEEDY no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis
    I spend 51 minutes on the phone and this is everything I could weasel out of them.

Basically this is how the system works.

- Major software revisions are done by RIM, i.e. 4.xx, etc.

- Minor software revisions are done by the provider, i.e. 4.2.xx.xx. When a partnered provider informs RIM of an update they update the RIM site. As long as you have the development package you can create a minor revision.

- Minor revisions are intended for provider specific fixes only. Inadvertantly, these fixes might correct or inhibit features used by other providers. The minor revision version numbers are not necessarily in numerical order between providers, but it seems that the different providers try to keep it that way.

- Mobilkom Austria (A1) is not partnered with RIM. If they wanted to they can create minor revisions of the device software. It is up to them to release it ina public friendly manner.

- Conclusion. RIM does not know about the 4.2.1.101 application release, this does not necessarily mean that it is harmful, merely that it's not theirs. The actual origin of this release is currently unknown. For the time being it will be assumed that it in actuality it is from Mobilkom Austria and is not harmful, only that A1 is really bad at maintaining a professional site.

*Warnings* RIM and your provider would recommend that you only install partnered releases from your provider only. Installing a release that is not from your provider will void your warranty.
    Installing this release in particular (as well as any release) is at your own risk.

Sorry, I couldn't nail this down entirely, but that's really as much as I could get them to tell me. I guess the only thing left is to contact A1 directly, but that would take one of thier subscribers I think.
    Wow, great work finding that stuff out. That makes my decision easier because I definitely don't want to void my warranty in the event something happens to my phone related, or not, to the OS upgrade.

I do have one question. What is different between this OS and my AT&T/Cingular carrier OS? (Does AT&T delete any RIM applications when branding my phone?)

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Only problem I see its with mgfave contacts... if i sms a myfave contact the phone is very sluggish, get a message from someone else and its cool. If I look at new sms from a my fave contact it takes 4 secs for the screen to go the message, it takes 6 secs for it to send. Anybody non myfave contact goes just fine.

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

i dunno if its a problem with the OS but sometimes when im using the BB browser it stops sending and receiving data and i have to do a soft reset to get it to work again. its happened 3 times so far since i installed the OS. the MediaNet browser still works fine when it happens though.

loobola no está en línea Stack level 1

So no one here has 'Sky by mobile' running on there blackberry? The new version doesn't seem to allow this to work at all!