Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by vortec7 And mine too. Let the download begin!! Sometimes, being a computer ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: New Pearl OS: 4.2.1.101 Multi-Language

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by vortec7
    And mine too.

Let the download begin!!
    Sometimes, being a computer geek is helpful...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

Not sure if it even makes a difference but after connecting my pearl to my computer via cable and it offers me the choice to turn on mass media mode, is it beneficial for updating os's?

loobola no está en línea Stack level 1

I have upgraded to the new version no problems APART from 'Sky By Mobile'. This is a UK application (that worked fine on my previous version) that allows you to set your Sky box to record remotely etc. I fill in the details and nothing happens it just ends up freezing and then going blank (white screen) before coming up with error 154 uncaught exception SkyMobile_rim is not responding process terminated.

I deleted the Sky application and then redownloaded it and installed it again but still get the same result. Any ideas? Anyone got it working on the new software? Help....

ski837547 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for assuring us the link is an A1 hosted link. But when I did a google search for "members.a1.net", a lot of personal links came up. It appears A1 hosts personal web pages...and they all start with "members.a1.net". So this web link could still be someone's personal web page and not an official company page. Especially since it appears none of the official company links start with "members", but all of the personal hosted pages start with "members". A little scary.
    Last edited by ski837547; 07-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Just an update. I have been using this new OS for a few days now and I am LOVING it. No problems whatsoever with anything. Thanks to whoever found this. You have earned trust points.

tfrankson no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2845FBAD

Thks for the update. I have no problems as of yet and haven't notice much of a diff from the AT&T ver.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    Hmm I got the download from the links in this thread and works fine. If that site you saw looks as shoty as you describe I would stay away from it in general. Who knows qhats going on with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    I don't know what to tell you other than I used the link, the download worked just fine, and the OS is working just fine on my phone. There is another site it can be downloaded from if that one worries you.
    The provided link at the top of the thread is the shoddy one I was referring to. It is an A1 member page, or worse maybe a spoofed A1 member page.

Quote Originally Posted by ski837547
    Thanks for assuring us the link is an A1 hosted link. But when I did a google search for "members.a1.net", a lot of personal links came up. It appears A1 hosts personal web pages...and they all start with "members.a1.net". So this web link could still be someone's personal web page and not an official company page. Especially since it appears none of the official company links start with "members", but all of the personal hosted pages start with "members". A little scary.
    After checking the IP's myself I found this same thing the *.53 ip's all are under the 'members' subdomain. The two different IP's mean they are on two different physical servers, regardless if they are both registered to mobilkom, this can be rerouted and spoofed etc. I didn't post the IP's because I felt it only supported the concern.

The question at hand is why are these downloads NOT being hosted with the rest of A1's provided downloads? Almost all of the downloads on the 'member' page are downloads that are not found anywhere else. It is not linked by any official A1 page or support document that I could find. Unfortuanately it is still cause for concern in my mind.

Every blackberry forum that I could find this on that has linked this download, it has been by a very low post count user. No offense to the OP intended here, I just really would love to understand this... Perhaps we have a A1 subscriber somewhere that can contact their provider and get an answer?

I guess one thing we can do is for people to start checking your event logs and make sure that there isn't anything too wierd happening. Again, not trying to create a scare here, there are just too many pieces here that don't seem to add up...
    Last edited by Kortanis; 07-10-2007 at 12:55 PM.

shadow63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242949a0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis
    I guess one thing we can do is for people to start checking your event logs and make sure that there isn't anything too wierd happening. Again, not trying to create a scare here, there are just too many pieces here that don't seem to add up...
    Ok what are we supposed to be looking for in the event logs and what do you consider weird? You are expressing caution and I understand that. Just wondering.

bbstacked no está en línea Stack level 1

no offense to anyone. but i would only be downloading from an offical carrier site or RIM. if it's authentic, then it should also be available from the original carrier source or RIM. my next question is why wasn't the official carrier or RIM page linked in the first place? or is this an os update that was acquired before release by a carrier or RIM? in which case i wouldn't be installing it.

keep in mind it's not just your blackberry that is vulnerable, but your desktop or workstation as well. there is no guarantee a virus or worm was not packaged with the update installer itself. sorry, but when it comes to security and privacy, i would rather wait for a link from an officially endorsed RIM site or carrier, or RIM itself.

otherwise, it completely negates the whole idea of "blackberry security" when you can't verify the true source of the files you are using.

just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by bbstacked; 07-10-2007 at 03:38 PM.

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Well, the people that understand the event logs would know the sorts of things that would look strange. I'll have to pull some of mine up, but really it's just a guess at this point, and bbstacked probably has the better point here. The extractor could have been tampered with to merely compromise your PC.

I am working on contacting RIM via telephone regarding this. They will be able to clear it up.

shadow63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242949a0

I hope you can get thru to RIM to set a lot of minds to ease. In this day and age anything is possible. If RIM did not release it, there is going to be a lot of immediate downgrading of OS's. Thank you for looking out for your BB community. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

I spend 51 minutes on the phone and this is everything I could weasel out of them.

Basically this is how the system works.

- Major software revisions are done by RIM, i.e. 4.xx, etc.

- Minor software revisions are done by the provider, i.e. 4.2.xx.xx. When a partnered provider informs RIM of an update they update the RIM site. As long as you have the development package you can create a minor revision.

- Minor revisions are intended for provider specific fixes only. Inadvertantly, these fixes might correct or inhibit features used by other providers. The minor revision version numbers are not necessarily in numerical order between providers, but it seems that the different providers try to keep it that way.

- Mobilkom Austria (A1) is not partnered with RIM. If they wanted to they can create minor revisions of the device software. It is up to them to release it ina public friendly manner.

- Conclusion. RIM does not know about the 4.2.1.101 application release, this does not necessarily mean that it is harmful, merely that it's not theirs. The actual origin of this release is currently unknown. For the time being it will be assumed that it in actuality it is from Mobilkom Austria and is not harmful, only that A1 is really bad at maintaining a professional site.

*Warnings* RIM and your provider would recommend that you only install partnered releases from your provider only. Installing a release that is not from your provider will void your warranty.
    Installing this release in particular (as well as any release) is at your own risk.

Sorry, I couldn't nail this down entirely, but that's really as much as I could get them to tell me. I guess the only thing left is to contact A1 directly, but that would take one of thier subscribers I think.
    Last edited by Kortanis; 07-10-2007 at 05:02 PM.

chknlomein no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24646FEB

Just updated OS last nite....so far so good. Except i have noticed a problem when typing a sms or email message. I absolutely cannot stand suretype, because i have always done multi tap and am quite familiar with it.

Well when i get goin on a message the keys get kind of messed up, and i personally think it has something to do with the cursor. It's like, if when typing, and i want to use the 2nd letter located on they key, sometimes, more than most it doesnt jump to that specific letter. Say its key 2 (TY) if i went to type the word "why" it will punch in "whtt" rather than the letter Y.

Anyone else have this issue? I know most stackers like suretype, but i just cant do it. And i never once had this issue on my previous OS .71 from Cingy. I txt quite a bit, and cannot stand having to always hit the delete key and go back and edit my txts.

Anyone have any ideas? Please?

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

Quote Originally Posted by chknlomein
    Just updated OS last nite....so far so good. Except i have noticed a problem when typing a sms or email message. I absolutely cannot stand suretype, because i have always done multi tap and am quite familiar with it.

Well when i get goin on a message the keys get kind of messed up, and i personally think it has something to do with the cursor. It's like, if when typing, and i want to use the 2nd letter located on they key, sometimes, more than most it doesnt jump to that specific letter. Say its key 2 (TY) if i went to type the word "why" it will punch in "whtt" rather than the letter Y.

Anyone else have this issue? I know most stackers like suretype, but i just cant do it. And i never once had this issue on my previous OS .71 from Cingy. I txt quite a bit, and cannot stand having to always hit the delete key and go back and edit my txts.

Anyone have any ideas? Please?
    Sorry buddy, I'm suretype all the way and its working just fine!

TanBucsFan no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

Day 2 and no problems so far at all! I noticed apps load a little faster too.