hi. just got brand new pearl tuesday. from 7 pm tuesday to 7 pm wednesday ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

zta
    zta no está en línea Stack level 2

new pearl, memory, update ???

Advertisement

hi. just got brand new pearl tuesday. from 7 pm tuesday to 7 pm wednesday (24 hours) memory went from 38 MB to 22 MB. (i have version 4.2.0.64). i tried turning off phone and turning it back on, gained maybe just under 1 MB. had to remove SIM to get something from my old phone, when i put the SIM and Battery back into the pearl i gained back the original 38 MB... it's 11 pm now and the phone is down to 37 MB.

i haven't done much with phone just some texting, a few quick calls, added a couple contacts and checked around the menus while reading how to guides etc. haven't installed any software... but i did look at the preinstalled video and game and maps, voice dialer etc, as far as i know i turned everything off before closing.

1). is there a way to see what is running? i think i saw somewhere ALT + BACK keys, the shortcut brought up a gray box with icons for:

browser
    phone
    home screen

are these the running apps? but i never used the messenger. (?) do i need to turn some of these off? and how? for example i tried the 'close' on the browser menu, but the browser icon still appears on the ALT + BACK, it's just at the end of the list now instead of the beginning.

2). it seems like alot of people were saying that the cingular OS version .71 helped with the memory. (or was it .64) i does seem strange to have to remove the battery every couple days to keep your phone going. does the .71 update really fix this? or will i still need to get the 'soft reset' app or something?

3). also will installing the cingular OS lose any custom t-mobile stuff, like the t-mobile zen theme (i like that one, don't want to lose it) i haven't had time to learn everything on the phone yet, so i don't even know if there are any other 'tmobile' special stuff on it or not. i guess if the theme would stay everything else would too? but would i lose the theme or not? i guess there would be some cingular version of the themes on the cinglar OS?

should i call t-mobile about the memory issue? i still have 12 days or so to return/exchange the phone if it sounds like there's a problem. i really like it alot so far. not sure what about the memory though. battery seems great. thanks (sorry it's so long)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: new pearl, memory, update ???

1) those apps are always running in the background but yes, alt key and back (kind of like alt/tab on a pc) will show everything you have running.
    2) i would download it. you will still need to do a soft reset every now and again...
    3) installing the cingy OS won't hurt your tmo zen...i still have it

the version of OS that you have was a known memory leak-er...

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I hate LEAKS! Welcome ZTA!
    I think cherri covered all your questions so if you have any more ask away!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

zta, no need to apologize
    to sum it up
    the memory issue is a memory leak. no way around it on .64 os. the best way to combat it is to do a batt pull about once a week.
    phone on batt out 30 sec then back in.
    1 you are right those 5 apps are always running. no way to stop that, not a batt killer
    2 alot of people have said that .71 fixes the memory leak, I haven't done an upgrade to it because I am basically lazy. LOL
    3 no, upgrading to cingy .71 will cause you no harm in your themes. they are from RIM and some carriers have diff upgrades at diff times
    if you do an upgrade first do a backup using your desktop manager.
    hope this solves some probs. see not that long.
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

OK so I type slow!!! insert laughs now!!!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

hahahahaha!! ^^^^

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

you are a S L O W P O K E...hehe