Just curious, I am with Sprint and I have the $7 insurance plan. If I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

laraiza no está en línea Stack level 2

New Or Refurb?

Advertisement

Just curious, I am with Sprint and I have the $7 insurance plan. If I need to have the phone replaced, is there any way to tell if the phone they are giving you is either new or a refurb?

clhdo4self no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by laraiza View Post
    Just curious, I am with Sprint and I have the $7 insurance plan. If I need to have the phone replaced, is there any way to tell if the phone they are giving you is either new or a refurb?
    Usually with Sprint, they always give you a refurbished phone from Solectron, at least from my experiences. Unless that changed, I would expect a refurb. I know with Verizon, I have replaced two BlackBerry Pearls and they both came new in box with all accessories. I'm sure if you would complain enough, you could get a new phone. Anyway, good luck to you.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by clhdo4self View Post
    Usually with Sprint, they always give you a refurbished phone from Solectron, at least from my experiences. Unless that changed, I would expect a refurb. I know with Verizon, I have replaced two BlackBerry Pearls and they both came new in box with all accessories. I'm sure if you would complain enough, you could get a new phone. Anyway, good luck to you.
    Most carriers use Refurbs, and that's not a bad thing at all. Too many people complain about them, but I'm here to assure you that the phones are indeed refurbished to a like new standard, including cosmetic issues. That said, just like getting a brand new phone it is possible to get a bad refurb. However that has little to do with the fact it's a refurbished phone. It's important to remember we are dealing with a mass produced product (when new) and therefore anything can happen and that's why we have warranties and service departments.

Personally I would be just fine with a refurb and have been in the past. Once you get it and it's operating properly, you will be so busy enjoying it you will forget it's a refurb. Believe me, I have experienced the same thing as you are and I was more than happy. Also it's important to note that I've had several refurbs over the years, so it's not just a one time good experience that I had.

Cheers!

jason2nails no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31c33731
    Alltel gives refurb's they still come in a box and look new, but are in fact refurbs..

Brent824 no está en línea Stack level 1

My Replacement Was New

I recently had to file a claim with Sprint to replace my Pearl 8130 due to water damage. The Sprint store directed me to call Asurion and when i talked to them, the rep told me the phone I was getting was brand new. It didn't come in an OEM box or have any accessories with it; just the phone and a battery, but it looked brand new. I guess just ask the rep if they're going to send a new or refurb phone.

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    Depends on where you go to get your phone serviced. I was on Sprint for several years w/o insurance on my phone and several times I took it to the store to complain about something not working and every time they just took a new phone off the shelf and hand it to me and sent me on my way. However one time I damaged a phone beyond repair and they made me send it in and I got a refurb to replace it.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent824 View Post
    I recently had to file a claim with Sprint to replace my Pearl 8130 due to water damage. The Sprint store directed me to call Asurion and when i talked to them, the rep told me the phone I was getting was brand new. It didn't come in an OEM box or have any accessories with it; just the phone and a battery, but it looked brand new. I guess just ask the rep if they're going to send a new or refurb phone.
    Sadly, you cannot under any circumstances rely on what you are told. Unfortunately many of them simply guess, or tell you it's going to be new just to avoid getting you upset, and having to listen to your protests. Even it that's not your style, they are so used to listening to customer complaints most of the time they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, just to get you off the phone.

True.......

Also you will notice in my earlier post here, that they always take care of cosmetic issues to make the phone look like new. They do this by putting new housings on the phone, new keyboards, displays or all of the above. It's not to deceive you, it's because they do a great job of refurbishing phones. I do not know of one carrier that will give you a new phone, unless it's at the store and the manager does an override.

Personally I've had three refurbs and they have been as good as new. No problems.

Cheers.....

erico1234567890 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Sadly, you cannot under any circumstances rely on what you are told. Unfortunately many of them simply guess, or tell you it's going to be new just to avoid getting you upset, and having to listen to your protests. Even it that's not your style, they are so used to listening to customer complaints most of the time they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, just to get you off the phone.

True.......

Also you will notice in my earlier post here, that they always take care of cosmetic issues to make the phone look like new. They do this by putting new housings on the phone, new keyboards, displays or all of the above. It's not to deceive you, it's because they do a great job of refurbishing phones. I do not know of one carrier that will give you a new phone, unless it's at the store and the manager does an override.

Personally I've had three refurbs and they have been as good as new. No problems.

Cheers.....
    So very true...

bladeberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    318b6284
    Not quite sure about this I'm sure they can reseal but all of my insurance pulls came in original oakshring all origonsly sealf new device smell and all but can't say it positive they have always worked well have had no problem with any of them

kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    I'd say 98.9% of phone replacements from Asurion or Signal. You can tell by doing Cdma ##786# >menu > Status it should have a life timer/total calls-data. Same here I agree, I dont belive that refurb= bad thing.
    "This life almost didn't happen"