I like the flip. I got a pretty good deal on a new in box ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3

New Flip - Three immediate hardware issues

Advertisement

I like the flip. I got a pretty good deal on a new in box from a tmo rep. Mainly to try it out, as I will have to keep using my Curve at work. I rely on Mapquest Navigator and it is not yet compatible with the flip.

However, 3 things were apparent out of the box.

1) The play in the hinge. When closed, the top half wiggles side to side too much. If you look at the top of the hinge you can see the one edge rising and falling as you move it side to side. So it doesn't appear to be the hinge mechanism, which seems solid, but the mounting of the hinge to the body.

2) Battery cover wiggles back and forth too. Only slightly, but I've never had any flip phone or BB where this was a problem. I've removed the battery cover on my Curve often (haven't we all) and it remains solid.

3) When off and charging, the green flashing LED, is actually a combo of green and red. The red led is being illuminated partially too. Reminds me of the aluminum Xmas tree we had as a child, with the colored light projector that rotated, changing the colors. Again, the Curve doesn't do this.

Is mine "normal"? Does yours suffer from any or all of these issues?

I consider the flip a very elegant smartphone, but these issues are disappointing. Rim could do better.
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-16-2008 at 08:25 PM.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Reminds me of the aluminum Xmas tree we had as a child, with the colored light projector that rotated, changing the colors.
    how cool....them were the days....
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I believe the Flip, like the Pearl, is considered a cell phone.
    Your report is of concern. The build quality on the Bold I kept for one day before selling it stunk too.

beav626 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    1) The play in the hinge. When closed, the top half wiggles side to side too much. If you look at the top of the hinge you can see the one edge rising and falling as you move it side to side. So it doesn't appear to be the hinge mechanism, which seems solid, but the mounting of the hinge to the body.

thats the only one I have

FahCore no está en línea Stack level 2
    My flip that I got pre launch has the cover and hinge concerns.
    The flips Ive seen taken out of boxes latley dont have the battery cover issue and the slide of the hinge is not as noticable.
    Ive tried switching my battery cover with a new one that had a tight feel to it. It was still lose on my flip and my old one was tight on the new flip
    Check my stack blog for all my free themes.
    PM or BB messenger me for theme requests.
    8220 Tmo/PIN 2577FF92/28M Chicago

kennedy_84 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302403B0
    try a small strip of duct tape on the inside of the battery door, that should make it tighter and solve the loose feel.

tkao2025 no está en línea Stack level 2
    LOL ......I was just about to post the same issue with battery cover. I was thinking about switching for another, but it seems like that RIM just has the problem with the battery cover having a little sliding action. The hinge seems fine on mine, but I'm not too picky with that. The battery cover is an issue because when I'm typing, it slides around. Oh well, maybe will try the duct tape solution.

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    how cool....them were the days....
    Yes they were catstide.

I just got back from my nearby tmo store and the reps 8220 hinge was the same. The good news is there is no play when it is open.

I'm not going to worry about any of these issues, especially since I learned I have no warranty through Rim. They insist all warranty issues go through Tmo, and I didn't buy it from them. I do like the Flip, and hope Mapquest releases a compatible version of their software soon.
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-18-2008 at 03:51 PM.

eleung321 no está en línea Stack level 3
    gonna try the duct tape thing to the batt cover also.. maybe ill use black electrical tape instead though.. anyhow yeah i noticed the hinge for the flip is wobbly.. but nothing can be done about that right?

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow! What's happening with the New BBs? Seems like there's more issues with the 8220 and the 95xx than any previous device (well since the 8700). What's going on? Is it 'cause we're in the consumer market now and the competition is as much about time as anything?? There's guys on BGR (can mention that here?) Trashing the storm's OS. It's a shame. My Bold doesn't seem to have any build issues, but I have had some OS ones. Keep the sloutions coming guys!