Hi, I'm a Newbie here (thanks for having me) but not with the 8130. I've ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Jimsathome no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile New better Media Player for the Pearl??

Advertisement

Hi,

I'm a Newbie here (thanks for having me) but not with the 8130. I've had it since January but moved (for business reasons) to a dumb (Motorolla) phone since May. I just moved back to the Pearl yesterday (as a personal phone => it's a great SmartPhone ) and I am trying to get it up to speed.

I'm on Telus, and the software is 4.3. They advise a move to 4.5 "soon" but my experience with them over the years is their motto should be "Better late than never". (You'll all be on 5.0 before I see an official 4.5 ) They are so slow releasing new hardware and software upgrades.

I'll probably wait for an official release (as I'll try to remain official => at least to start) so in the meantime can you advise a decent free media player?

The one on the phone is passable but not stellar. It would be great to see a definitive guide or post on it. I still can't find any tone controls or EQ settings. I guess it can't read some mp3s unless they are tagged. It doesn't seem to read file names only. Do you know if it can play tunes via Bluetooth heads phones (like an iLuv i903 ?) so I can answer a call when needed ?

As you can tell this is the area I'm stumbling with. I'm headed to an 8 gig MicroSD card soon and want to get the most out of the phone. I've got a lot of yard work and house maintenance coming up and it'll be great if I can use this for tunes instead of an iPod. (I know the 16 gig cards are coming but it's like the 4.5 OS => no one really knows when and how much $$.)

Is xPlayer any good? (I'd prefer a freebie or at least a trial version to check out if possible). I looked around and all the posts I found on Media Players for the pearl were quite old. (Sorry if I missed some.)

Please advise any info or tips you can give. Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim

Hardrive no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31CDAE51
    Welcome to the boards!
    The current OS version you are using does not have EQ or tone settings for the media player. I don't remember what the deal is with your mp3 issues. I'm sure someone will chime in with a solution. I use WMA most of the time anyway without problems.

The good news is that 4.5 is around the corner and greatly improves the media player IMHO. It also offers multiple eq settings although for the headset only.

As for bluetooth. Your BB supports Headset (HSP), Hands-Free (HFP) and Audio/Video Remote Control (AVRCP). I almost for got A2DP for stereo audio.

These profiles allow you to control basic media ( Play,Pause,Stop,ETC ) player controls from the headset. It gives you the handy option of pausing a song for a call and resuming automaticlly when the call ends.

I never messed with xPlayer seeing how I never felt the need for it.

Hope this helps.

Jimsathome no está en línea Stack level 1

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrive View Post
    Welcome to the boards!
    The current OS version you are using does not have EQ or tone settings for the media player. I don't remember what the deal is with your mp3 issues. I'm sure someone will chime in with a solution. I use WMA most of the time anyway without problems.

The good news is that 4.5 is around the corner and greatly improves the media player IMHO. It also offers multiple eq settings although for the headset only.

I had to delete these links ...

These profiles allow you to control basic media ( Play,Pause,Stop,ETC ) player controls from the headset. It gives you the handy option of pausing a song for a call and resuming automaticlly when the call ends.

I never messed with xPlayer seeing how I never felt the need for it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome Hardrive,

I got itchy feet and couldn't wait. I downloaded Mobiola xPlayer to try it out but it seems Telus won't let it connect. (I get a warning " xplayer has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy."

So then I thought "Go for it" and grabbed 4.5.0.77 OS (BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.101 (Multilanguage)). I was up past midnight trying to get it installed but finally figured it out this morning.

The Media Player is great (much more features than before) except the volume doen't go anywhere near as loud as in the previous version. (I hopeful to find a work around => hint!!).

I'm really pleased you can now skip forward or back (to the next tune) by just holding the volume up/down key. The EQ is cool but I still can't figure out how to get it to play from Folders rather than Mp3 Tags (?). Mobiola xPlayer sees 'em but I can't get it to work at all.

Perhaps one of the experts here can help me figure this out.

Thanks for the assist.
    Regards,

Jim