Ok, Here we go... I ordered my 8120(AT&T) a couple days ago, and it should ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Yoruhi no está en línea Stack level 1

Question New BB User: List of Questions!

Ok, Here we go...
    I ordered my 8120(AT&T) a couple days ago, and it should be coming in tomorrow. So, while I am eagerly waiting for my new toy, I have some questions to ask.

My main question. Applications?
    :arrow: I have browsed and browsed and found many applications, but I'm not sure which ones are better than the others. I also have no idea if some will work for the 8120. Suggestions? Preferably Free and no Trials. (I use stuff like gmail, browsing the web a lot, going to YouTube, playing guitar. Not really any financial stuff)

Games, Games, Games.
    :arrow: Have found so many, but not really sure if they are worth the trouble of downloading, playing, trashing, etc. Suggestions? Preferably Free and no Trials/Demos (I <3 RPGs)

Do What?
    :arrow: Anyone have any recommendations on what I should buy for the phone? (Accessories)
    :arrow: Any safety/care tips so I don't blow up my phone? Or things you guys normally to to keep your phone in good shape?

MultiColor LED's?
    :arrow: I have been browsing through the forum, and have read some stuff like the 8100 is the only one with multicolor LED's. Is this true? If not, which (free)software will work the best for changing colors, features, etc.?

MicroSD Max Memory?
    :arrow: I read on AT&Ts site somewhere that the 8120 can only support up to 2GB of external memory. I recently had a w580i(screen shatter), with a 4GB card. Will I still get to use all my memory?

Wi-Fi
    :arrow: The main reason I bought this phone was to have internet, without actually paying for it. So, without a data plan, will all the features still regularly work with just the WiFi? (Besides the GPS)

Unused Apps?
    :arrow: Whenever I get a new phone, I usually try to delete everything I can off of it. Do I need any software to delete some of the files? And before I go and screw up my 8120, what stuff should I delete/not delete?

Upgrading?
    :arrow: I see a lot of this stuff about upgrading. As I said earlier, I am with AT&T, so, I'm pretty sure upgrading from 4.3 to 4.5 will void my warranty. So, is it really worth the void to upgrade? Are there any newer applications that will work only with 4.5? Are there any that won't unless I have an earlier version?

I think that is all for now. Will probably come up with about 50 more questions when I get the phone.
    Last edited by Yoruhi; 10-12-2008 at 11:58 PM.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoruhi View Post
    Ok, Here we go...

I ordered my 8120(AT&T) a couple days ago, and it should be coming in tomorrow. So, while I am eagerly waiting for my new toy, I have some questions to ask.

My main question. Applications?
    :arrow: I have browsed and browsed and found many applications, but I'm not sure which ones are better than the others. I also have no idea if some will work for the 8120. Suggestions? Preferably Free and no Trials. (I use stuff like gmail, browsing the web a lot, going to YouTube, playing guitar. Not really any financial stuff)
    Check the download section here
    You will find tons of free downloads, categorized

Games, Games, Games.
    :arrow: Have found so many, but not really sure if they are worth the trouble of downloading, playing, trashing, etc. Suggestions? Preferably Free and no Trials/Demos (I <3 RPGs)
    )
    same link as above.
    also www.getjar.com

Do What?
    :arrow: Anyone have any recommendations on what I should buy for the phone? (Accessories)
    :arrow: Any safety/care tips so I don't blow up my phone? Or things you guys normally to to keep your phone in good shape?
    depends on how YOU like to carry your phone are you someone who likes it clipped to a belt? or do you put it in your pocket?
    try the pinstack bb shop here
    also www.case-mate.com and www.vajacases.com
    also can NOT go without a screen protector. i actually recommend the full body skin from www.bestskinsever.com
    also see here for BSE review

MultiColor LED's?
    :arrow: I have been browsing through the forum, and have read some stuff like the 8100 is the only one with multicolor LED's. Is this true? If not, which (free)software will work the best for changing colors, features, etc.?
    not sure if the colorpearl apps will work on your OS (assuming your's is shipped with 4.3...that's what my husband's 8120 came with) someone with a pearl/8120 can answer that one better)

MicroSD Max Memory?
    :arrow: I read on AT&Ts site somewhere that the 8120 can only support up to 2GB of external memory. I recently had a w580i(screen shatter), with a 4GB card. Will I still get to use all my memory?
    i believe that the mx mem for the devices depend on the OS that it is running. i know that from the very beggining, my curve could support 4gb, but it was 4.2. i currently only have a 1gb in the 8120 here so i am not good for that question either.

Wi-Fi
    :arrow: The main reason I bought this phone was to have internet, without actually paying for it. So, without a data plan, will all the features still regularly work with just the WiFi? (Besides the GPS)
    ... i have a data plan. sorry it should work, when wifi is active.

Unused Apps?
    :arrow: Whenever I get a new phone, I usually try to delete everything I can off of it. Do I need any software to delete some of the files? And before I go and screw up my 8120, what stuff should I delete/not delete?
    Yes, Desktop Manager.
    You can delete languages, memopad, help, search ... apps like that. and if you don't have a data plan, you could delete bb messenger too... once you run DM, its pretty easy to determine which core apps should stay and which ones you can delete. its as simple as unchecking the box beside the application.

Upgrading?
    :arrow: I see a lot of this stuff about upgrading. As I said earlier, I am with AT&T, so, I'm pretty sure upgrading from 4.3 to 4.5 will void my warranty. So, is it really worth the void to upgrade? Are there any newer applications that will work only with 4.5? Are there any that won't unless I have an earlier version?
    i don't recommend upgrading to just anyone out there. things can go wrong and yes, we might be able to restore it (we -- meaning the stackers) but if we can't and you have to get a new one, i don't think you will be covered. upgrading is risky. with that being said, read over the instructions and maybe you are confident that you could do it

I think that is all for now. Will probably come up with about 50 more questions when I get the phone.
    hopefully not 50 more

welcome to pinstack

Ok, so, I got my Blackberry yesterday, but was really busy so I didn't get to open it till 10.
    As soon as I got home I ripped the box open, only to find...
    A perfect BlackBerry!
    :arrow: I put the SIM card in, battery, powered it up(took a while), and it is perfect! I turned it off and turned it back on, and it only took a couple of seconds unlike other phones.
    :arrow: The SureType confused me at first, but I caught on after a while.
    :arrow: I found out though that my 4GB card was to big(as in it wouldn't fit in the hole), so I have to sell it and buy another.
    :arrow: I looked at that InvisibleShield for the 8120. Does it still fit in the slide case with this on?
    :arrow: I tried to delete as much as possible and have gotten up to 20MB free, I haven't added anything yet. (And I'm not sure how.) Also, I need to delete push-to-talk. Is there any way to set the little button on the side to do something else?
    :arrow: I looked up the Desktop Manager, but I think its for Windows. I have a Mac. I put the CD in, and downloaded PocketMac. Hooked my phone via the USB cable it came with. Tried to sync. Failed. Again. Failed. Any help?
    :arrow: All I'm trying to do is delete and install files on my Blackberry with a Mac. I'm running OS X 10.4 on my Mac. 4.3 on my Blackberry.

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    Hey Yoruhi, I don't have any answers to your questions yet!

But I must say you organized this pretty well

Ok, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a case for my phone, since someone stole the case it came with at band practice last night. Does anyone recommend one?
    And I got the Wi-Fi to work, but the Data Services option has to be turned on. Because after messing with it, and spending $10 worth of 3G service, I figured out the settings to make sure they won't charge me again.