Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I've got this new fangled Blackberry 8130 sitting on my desk. Quite the upgrade ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Smooth23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

New BB person, a few questions..

Advertisement

So I've got this new fangled Blackberry 8130 sitting on my desk. Quite the upgrade from the Razr V3c. Didn't really need a blackberry, but I like the phone and the ability to browse the internet and check email and all that good stuff. My first bone: That I can't seem to be able to send MMS messages. Called up alltel and they said they are working on a software update and to just use email for now. Problem with that is, all my friends use MMS, and dont have email on their ghetto phones. And here's a question. Is there a program out there that lets me use my phone like a regular gps system, without paying $10/month? At first I thought it would take me forever to figure out how to use the keypad on this thing to send texts, but its getting really easy pretty fast.

Well, if anyone cares to help me out, feel free to send to my BB pin, whatever you wanna call it email thingy. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    -Jason
    Last edited by Smooth23; 03-05-2008 at 04:37 PM.

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG

Re: New BB person, a few questions..

The issue with the MMS there is a free program I found along time ago, but Alltel should be able to resolve the issue without telling you to use email as a solution. I would call them back and complain and they might have a work around or be able to resend your service books.
    I would use googlemaps as a GPS. It works off of the cell phone towers for triagle location.

here is the link for googlemaps:
    www.google.com/gmm
    Last edited by stnkyq2; 03-05-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Welcome to the stacks Smooth!
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

PIN/ID

Thanks, I'll look up the MMS program if I cant get it resolved when I call alltel again later. As for gps, I was hoping for something actually gps- coordinate wise, something I could use for geocaching if that is a possibility.

beja no está en línea Stack level 3

Google Maps uses triangulation from cell phone towers and provides you with essentially the same functions as VZW nav and other GPS systems.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

money1661 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3180D985

Welcome to the stacks Smooth
    MONEY

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Yep it sucks by not being able to use MMS with Alltel, only SMS. The only time I can receive one is when the other person sends it to me in an email. Its really an inconvenience but hopefully they'll have it resolved soon.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Alltel has been promising me since December that a fix is coming soon......don't hold your breath. 1st they told me it would be a month.....then another......now they are saying it may be available on the next OS upgrade......who knows when that will be.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Smile Re: New BB person, a few questions..

Your are now officially... Stack-o-do-cious. Welcome Smooth23 !
    Come chat live
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/chat.php
    Last edited by mrmoe; 03-06-2008 at 02:47 AM.
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

Welcome to Stackland smooth. It'll take you a little while, but you'll get the hang of it.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

i think that google maps might be able to get the signal from your GPS chip on the phone and use it for the location and not the towers... but i could be wrong.

with T-mobile you have to send a mms to yourself first to receive them did you try that? it sounds like all the AllTel users are having this problem so you might try revising the alx file and deleting the vendor file and see if you can run the verizon software it might work for you... i have no idea if this will work but it may, you never know. that is unless someone else does...

sorry you having a bad experience and if you are in the time frame of which you can cancel the contract i would... i mean you should not have to sacrifice a service that you paid for! or get them to pay for you trouble. like a free text plan... that will include MMS when it gets fixed. but if you can cancel do it and switch to t-mobile or something. i am very happy with t-mobile.

PIN/ID

I might be tempted to cancel my contract, but I've already had a contract with them for years. I'm just miffed at the mms that I've gotten used to using. I want more, not less!

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180

yeah ... it's the same reason that i left the oh-so-hated Sprint! I thought to myself .. wtf is the point of having a beautiful 2.0 Megapixel camera; the ONLY blackberry EVER to have video recording if i can't f-ing send it as an MMS to my friends .. gimme my money back .. this was back in January .. am still waiting for my $ 150 Deposit back from them .. but iam SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy i left sprint . i hate them. i really really do. I am with verizon now .. which is the only other company i could get the 8130 with here in NYC .. it's a bit better .. but still evil .. for crippling my native GPS functions .. and the ability to feed internet access to my laptop when i plug my bb in, the way i used to do oh so effortlessly with T-Mobile 8100, may she rest in peace .. hahahahah

if you're gonna switch or cancel .. do it quickly. before the "grace period" ends

the only other item i would use .. would be helio's slider phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    I might be tempted to cancel my contract, but I've already had a contract with them for years. I'm just miffed at the mms that I've gotten used to using. I want more, not less!
    I understand your frustration. I miss the MMS! But I love my pearl! I wouldn't switch providers for anything though.....Alltel has the best service in my area and at least they don't cripple the GPS like vzw does.

I find that the built in GPS works very well with the pre-installed BB maps. BB maps uses google for local search and gives good directions and can find where you are and track you just like a regular GPS.....just no voice directions.

I love my pearl so much though.....I think if they told me up front about the MMS issues I would not have gotten it......now I'm glad they didn't! I get so much more with this BB pearl than with any other phone I've had......I'm addicted.......for me it's worth it!

Well, just talked to Alltel CS this afternoon becasue the data network was down...while I was talking to them, I asked again about MMS. I was told it should be working by mid March around the 18th!!!!! I hope it's true this time.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast