Went to visit my dad in Malaysia this summer, you can imagine my surprise when ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

nikodiver83 no está en línea Stack level 1

New BB Pearl too buggy, send for warranty how?

Advertisement

Went to visit my dad in Malaysia this summer, you can imagine my surprise when he got me a BB Pearl. Worked fine for about a month and a half, then suddenly got JVM error #. Came here to pinstack via google JVM error, and re-installed OS. BB Pearl works for about half a week, then another JVM error. Re-install OS, BB Pearl works for another half week.

As you can imagine, I am frustrated; everytime you reinstall the OS, it wipes all the previous data stored in the task list, memos, address book, etc.

So, to solve this problem, I would like to send it back to RIM and get a new one. How do I go about doing that? i.e. should I send it back to Malaysia back to where it came from there or would it be better/faster if I appeal to RIM in Toronto and send it there?

Thanks for your input,

Ian

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: New BB Pearl too buggy, send for warranty how?

first off, welcome to the stacks

before sending it back. are you adding any 3rd party apps or what is happening when you get the error message?
    What os are you running?
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

GaryF no está en línea Stack Moderator

Ian,

Have you used Desktop Manager to back up your data before the OS install? Have you tried a new OS or are you only re-installing the same one?

Thanks, kayos72, this place is a great resource for bb users.

Regarding 3rd party apps, the bb is stock, no 3rd party apps added. Also, it seems to go into error mode in the morning. Last two times I just woke up from sleep and the bb shows a white screen saying "JVM error 102" or "504" or something like that.

I downloaded the lastest OS from the Rogers website linked to here? vers. 4.2

Seems to be working okay now after reinstalling it, will see in about a weeks time. I don't wanna send it back :-(

GaryF,

Yes, used Desktop Manager to backup files data before the OS install, problem is, after the latest reinstall, there is no more task and memo app. So even after reinstall, the saved data is still only in computer, not in bb, because the apps are missing.

Haven't tried any other OS versions, might try an older one, perhaps more stable? Been using BB OS version 4.2

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I am getting ready to either send my Pearl back to T-Mo for another plain warranty exchange until the new Pearl OS comes out next week or send it back for another alternative exchange for an 8800 if that don't work.

What makes you want to send your pearl back to Tmo?

Sporadic reset cycles which require an OS wipe and reinstall to fix.

KenGillis no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240341E2

When you go to reload OS, are you checking the box for "Backup Device Data"?

That way, it'll save all your themes, address book, etc., before reinstalling.

That's the other problem I have. I don't have the option to do that because the phone is in a constant reset loop. It loses everything. I have had to build my contact list on BB Messenger back 3 times already.