Hey everyone! I'm a Windows Mobile user, now owner of the blackberry 8130, and I've ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

groovdafied no está en línea Stack level 2

New BB 8130 owner, advice much appreciated!

Advertisement

Hey everyone! I'm a Windows Mobile user, now owner of the blackberry 8130, and I've been reading through these forums a lot and it's very imformative! I originally bought this phone, thinking it would have the color changing pearl, oh well...still I'm convinced this phone is a great purchase.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody has any great customization tips for the phone, I'm reading about themes and ringtones, however I'm not quite understanding the OTA (I think thats what it's called) themes vs the other flashy themes, but I'll be able to figure it out soon enough.

Another thing I noticed was the indicator LED at the top right can actually change colors, and I played around with the trial version of Pimp My Pearl, but is there a way to get that thing to change color when I receive a phone call?

Anyways, any other suggestions you have are very much appreciated!! Thanks!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    OTA basically means Over The Air, meaning you can use your phone browser to install themes, ringtones, etc. if you have a BlackBerry Internet Service Data Plan, preferably unlimited. All other themes must be installed using the Desktop Manager. But BE SURE to ONLY use themes, etc for the 8130.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    From all I have read and tried on my wifes 8130 you can not change the trackball color on the 8130.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    From all I have read and tried on my wifes 8130 you can not change the trackball color on the 8130.
    that is correct
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    OTA basically means Over The Air, meaning you can use your phone browser to install themes, ringtones, etc. if you have a BlackBerry Internet Service Data Plan, preferably unlimited. All other themes must be installed using the Desktop Manager. But BE SURE to ONLY use themes, etc for the 8130.
    bbalerts is a very nice program.it is a program to alert you of missed calls and messages.it will also allow you to change the color of the led for different notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    bbalerts is a very nice program.it is a program to alert you of missed calls and messages.it will also allow you to change the color of the led for different notifications.
    OOOH Very nice! I like the fact it allows you to choose different colors. However I'm totally looking around for a tool to cycle the colors in the indicator LED during a call...something to grab ones attention if they are not listenning for any sounds...

BTW: The option for color cycle is there, but I can't seem to find what triggers it...

minnieme no está en línea Stack level 1
    The 8130 does not have a multi-color led.

If you search on youtube you can find videos on how to take off the silver ring, remove the pearl and color the led with a marker of your choice, but this option is semi permanent and unless you are tech savy you can really mess up your trackball.

All disclaimers aside, I did it to my old 8830 World Edition with a blue marker and it worked just fine, it does dim the pearl though. Also, I'm not sure if removing the trackball voids the warrantee, but if you are planning to do it, might be worth your time to check.

Good luck. Enjoy the coolest smartphone ever!

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by minnieme View Post
    The 8130 does not have a multi-color led.

If you search on youtube you can find videos on how to take off the silver ring, remove the pearl and color the led with a marker of your choice, but this option is semi permanent and unless you are tech savy you can really mess up your trackball.

All disclaimers aside, I did it to my old 8830 World Edition with a blue marker and it worked just fine, it does dim the pearl though. Also, I'm not sure if removing the trackball voids the warrantee, but if you are planning to do it, might be worth your time to check.

Good luck. Enjoy the coolest smartphone ever!
    we are talking about the indicator LED,not the pearl LED.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Well, I guess that covers just about everything.. Welcome to pinstack and the wonderful world of blackberry. I'm sure that with time you won't change your blackberry for any other brand.. Be prepared to become an addict. Take care. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Carter View Post
    Well, I guess that covers just about everything.. Welcome to pinstack and the wonderful world of blackberry. I'm sure that with time you won't change your blackberry for any other brand.. Be prepared to become an addict. Take care. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks! Any recommended apps for the BB?

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    As far as the apps that I use the most are: viigo... Its a great and free RSS reader. JiveTalk... It is a very stable messeging program that incorporates the most popular instant messengers... AOL, ICQ, MSN, yahoo, google... Its not free but has a trial. The facebook app. Is always nice to have if you use facebook. Google maps is nice tool.. I mean, I could go on and on.
    As far as customization goes... Here you can find tons of very cool themes.
    See you around! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~