First post! I'm a Palm OS user. I have been for many years and many ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jason8888 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question New to BB 8100 user from Palm--need some suggestions.

Advertisement

First post!

I'm a Palm OS user. I have been for many years and many Palms. I just picked up the Pearl. So far I'm really liking it.

I bought the Pearl hoping to kick my separate Palm (Sony Clie) and phone habit. I'm finding that, while the Blackberry blows the Palm away in many areas, it's falling seriously short in others. I really want it to work! I've done some research into what's available for Blackberry, and I've found some things to fill in the gaps, but here are my remaining problems:

The task list & schedule: I'm accustomed to Agendus on Palm OS. And this ain't Agendus. I don't really expect the BB to come up to the level of sophistication of Agendus, but there are some things I want/need
    it to do.
    First, I have tasks that are scheduled in the future, and I don't want to have a huge list of every task I'll ever need to accomplish. I would like to be able to set an option for tasks to appear in the task list when they are a week away.
    Also, I would like an option in the schedule to have timeless events. For instance, if I want to put somebody's birthday on my schedule, I want it to be tied to a day, not a particular time of day. And I would like to be able to schedule meetings/events within an all-day event. For instance, a convention is the all-day event, and the various meetings and activities during the convention are within that.

Alarms: I have several alarms set on my Palm with Clock+. The alarm clock on my Pearl only has one alarm. I know I can set a repeating event in the schedule, but I really don't want to clutter it up with stuff like "Wake Up", "Pick up kids", "Cookies are done" etc. It would also be nice if it had timer and countdown functions.

eBook reader: I use the excellent Tibr Pro on Palm OS. It reads various document formats and has options to change colors, rotate the screen and use different fonts. I don't think anything like that exists for BB, but maybe somebody can enlighten me. I don't need it to do all of that, but it would be great if it could read Palm Doc files, because I have thousands of them. I can convert them to other formats, if necessary.

Word processor: I use WordSmith on Palm. I don't need anything that fancy. I'm not worried about spell checking or fonts, although that would be nice. Just something that can read and write large files that are easy to move back and forth from desktop to BB and update on either platform. A word count function would be fantastic.

And that's it! If my Pearl could do all of that, I would be posting my Clie on eBay tomorrow. Maybe some of these problems have online solutions. Maybe some of Google's online services (Writely, Calendar) work on the Blackberry Browser. As for eBooks, I've been satisfying that addiction so far by reading Frostbite a www . brokentype . com, but I would really like to be able to get at my library.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully I'm not asking too much of my Blackberry. Any suggestions? Or should I stick with my Palm?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: New to BB 8100 from Palm--need some suggestions.

Welcome! Once you go to BB you wont go back Stick with your pearl bud!

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by jason8888
    First post!

I'm a Palm OS user. I have been for many years and many Palms. I just picked up the Pearl. So far I'm really liking it.

I bought the Pearl hoping to kick my separate Palm (Sony Clie) and phone habit. I'm finding that, while the Blackberry blows the Palm away in many areas, it's falling seriously short in others. I really want it to work! I've done some research into what's available for Blackberry, and I've found some things to fill in the gaps, but here are my remaining problems:
    We are all slaves to the technology and programs we have become used to at one time or another.

What I realized years ago is that there are trade-offs in going from one technology/program to another. That is because no one device is going to operate in the same manner as the device we are "trading in," so to speak.

Only you can make the plus/minus list for each device and determine what works for you.

I have a friend who cannot tear himself apart from some old Palm 100 or something like that. It's from 1999. But he does not want to consider how he can upgrade, transfer files to a newer device or anything else. So he just keeps using what he is used to [a PDA that runs on AA batteries].

That said, there are some third party applications that are available or in the works that will do many of the things you require, you just have to look for them. I would not make a decision based on the stock "minimalist" programs that come with the 8100.

tai
    tai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304E2757

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you will find a number of 3rd party programs at handango.com that I think will come in handy for you.& welcome!

sDOTmelfi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c3a2e5

For tasks and reminders, use the calendar. It has an "all day" option and recurring event option. Welcome to the Stacks!

Quote Originally Posted by sDOTmelfi
    For tasks and reminders, use the calendar. It has an "all day" option and recurring event option. Welcome to the Stacks!
    Great Scott! You're right! How did I miss that? It's perfect. It's exactly what I was looking for. That helps a lot. Thank you.

PIN/ID
    32c3a2e5

Re: New to BB 8100 user from Palm--need some suggestions.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~no worries.

Okay, so my calendar and tasks problem is solved, and I just downloaded Mobipocket Reader which handles Palm Doc files beautifully. It even allows you to switch colors (I like reading in a light blue font on a dark blue background--easier on the eyes) and switch to a serif font.

Now I just need an alarm clock app with multiple alarms and a text editor. Anybody have any recommendations?

merlik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEA28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I could use a multi alarm app as well

PIN/ID
    32c3a2e5

dynoplex has a word processor that you can buy. they have a whole "office" package that actually comes in pretty handy. You can use the calendar as an alarm as well. I've never tried it but in theory it should work as a multiple alarm. Go to options/profiles/edit profile/calendar and switch the sound on. Then you can go back to the calendar schedule an event. See if an alarm will go off when the event happens then. I think that will work, but like I said, I'venever tried it before. If it works, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by sDOTmelfi
    dynoplex has a word processor that you can buy. they have a whole "office" package that actually comes in pretty handy.
    Starting at $120! Yikes. I was really just looking for a basic (and cheap!) text editor. I guess I'll just use email/memos for now. I tried to log in to www . writely . com last night and it gave me a message that said something like, "We're sorry. Writely doesn't support your browser, yet."

YET?! Yet is good.

PIN/ID
    32c3a2e5

yeah the dynoplex stuff is a little pricey, but it works pretty well. I'm a publicists and I have sooooo many different media lists on .xls sheets that I need to have on me (adding them into my contact book wouldjust be overwhelming). The eCell works really well for those and the eWord or whatever it is called comes in very handy too. I would suggest if you use stuff like that everyday to get them. Otherwise if you are just a casual user, I would just use the stuff preloaded, or try to find something cheaper (or free).

forest007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8888
    I just downloaded Mobipocket Reader which handles Palm Doc files beautifully. It even allows you to switch colors (I like reading in a light blue font on a dark blue background--easier on the eyes) and switch to a serif font.
    I'm new to BB also and was a Mobipocket user with windows os previously. I installed version 6.0 beta. I can't seem to get the books to show up in the library on my device. When I open Mobipocket it says the library is empty. The desktop manager gave me an error message when I attempted to install the books directly to what appeared to be the root of main memory on the device. The error message said I had "read only access". I created a folder called "ebooks" in main memory with the Blackberry desktop manager and put them in it. Are you using Version 6.0 beta? Where are you installing the books on the device?

Thanks a lot for any help. I'm losing my mind....