hi guys i just got my VZW 8130 for work and really like most of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mustardParty no está en línea Stack level 1

New 8130 owner here

Advertisement

hi guys

i just got my VZW 8130 for work and really like most of what the phone is doing. i have a few q's for the pros:

first - i've always been a fan of clam shell designs as they're not prone to 'butt-dialing' - what you you guys do to prevent butt dial? how do the holsters work? is it any case the blackberry sits in it thinks it's holstered (like the one shipped with it)? i use auto lock to lock the phone when the display sleeps but i get nervous with my phone in the pocket and the emergency call option.

also - i find the ringer in this thing to be decidedly under powered. what do you guys to get really loud rings? do i just need to cook a really hot mp3 track and make that as my ringer? i don't always like my phone loud - but sometimes when i'm on the other side of the house i want the phone to be able to ring and me to be able to hear it - my little moto razr could do this, but the high volume using the same ring tones i used on my old phone doesn't come close

also - how often do you guys 'update the OS' of the phone? coming from the razr world the only option was flashing the firmware, which was a definite not supported do-at-home activity. i find the desktop manager to be a little clunky, i doesn't make much sense to me - is there a guide someone can point me to on the DM?

also also, last one - does anyone know if the desktop manager that ships with the verizon version of the 81xx purposely cripple the media manager? i can't get it to work with my phone no matter what i do (but that doesn't seem to matter cus the SD card pops up as a volume when i plug my phone in). i know with my moto verizon all but chopped the arm off at the shoulder to force you to use gimmicks like Get It Now for ring tones i can make and push to the phone for free if they would let me.

ok, thanks!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: New 8130 owner here

1) I know there are cases that turn the screen off but none that lock the phone.

2) Not sure how to answer this as I keep my phone on silent.

3) I update the OS as soon as I find out about a new OS. There should be one coming out within a month for the 81xx, 83xx, 87xx and 88xx models.

4) Not sure about Verizon crippling the Media Manager on DM but I am sure you can use the latest 4.3 Desktop Manager for access to it (unless 4.3 came with your BB). I have T-Mobile and the 8100 so I am not that sure on Verizon.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Buy a case for the pearl from pinstack shop or Verizon then go into options and set your phone to lock when holstered that will solve that. I actually find the classic phone ringer that came preloaded on 8130 to be very loud find under media. Ringtones preloaded ringtones.

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

I got my pearl on first day released have yet to update OS

greystealth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319DD34b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

greystealth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319DD34b

To prevent the device from calling anyone you should lock the keys when you put it away. All you have to do is hold down the * button. And the sounds you be able to make them loud through the profile edit screen. When we say Os update we pretty much mean firmware update, I would say its equal to the updates you had on your previous device.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mustardParty View Post
    also also, last one - does anyone know if the desktop manager that ships with the verizon version of the 81xx purposely cripple the media manager? i can't get it to work with my phone no matter what i do (but that doesn't seem to matter cus the SD card pops up as a volume when i plug my phone in). i know with my moto verizon all but chopped the arm off at the shoulder to force you to use gimmicks like Get It Now for ring tones i can make and push to the phone for free if they would let me.

ok, thanks!!
    No, VZW does not cripple media manager. It sounds like you have the Mass Storage Mode on, go to options > media card; set "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" to "No"

Media manager will then see the card and be able to load files. If left to yes, the media card will be seen as a drive by Windows but will not be accessable by Media Manager. It is a trade off, which do you prefer kinda thing, media manager or drive in Windows.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    It sounds like you have the Mass Storage Mode on, go to options > media card; set "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" to "No"

Media manager will then see the card and be able to load files. If left to yes, the media card will be seen as a drive by Windows but will not be accessable by Media Manager. It is a trade off, which do you prefer kinda thing, media manager or drive in Windows.
    Intersting, I use the media manager all the time and my 8130 is set to yes to always enable mass storage mode when connected.I've never had problems. Media manager always recognizes my card and transfers photo, mp3, and video from pc to BB memory card and from the BB memory card to the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Intersting, I use the media manager all the time and my 8130 is set to yes to always enable mass storage mode when connected.I've never had problems. Media manager always recognizes my card and transfers photo, mp3, and video from pc to BB memory card and from the BB memory card to the pc.
    It may be turning it off when you connect then. Did you ever answer yes/no to a prompt and check the don't ask again when connecting the BB? That will turn it off when connected again. When you have the BB connected and can access it from media manager, can you still see it as a drive in Windows?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    It may be turning it off when you connect then. Did you ever answer yes/no to a prompt and check the don't ask again when connecting the BB? That will turn it off when connected again. When you have the BB connected and can access it from media manager, can you still see it as a drive in Windows?
    I've always had it set to yes-enable mass storage mode when connected.

I just got up and hooked my bb to my PC, opened Desktop Manager, Opened Media Manager and the media manager recognizes my card and it's contents are visible.

While still connected to the media manager, I can go to My Computer>removable disc f> and open my blackberry media card files and view or play them. So, yes windows sees it as a drive.

This makes sense to me, in my mind, turning mass storage mode off would cause all files to go to the device memory instead of the memory card correct?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

I will have to look into it some more. I always got the prompt before to turn off mass storage mode to use media manager. I'll get back to you in PM so as not to hijack the thread.

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3

I found using Mobipocket reader(I thinks some of you use this) that mass media has to be off for Mobi to place items in the microsd card. Otherwise it places them in the phone memory. So, I have my mas media on, and set to ask me if I want to enable it when I dock/sync. Kind of starnge but there it is.

lighterlung no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3183FFAB

I started out using a 1gb card with no problem, but then I bought a 4gb Micro SDHC...tried formatting 3 different times, the phone would recognize it, but I couldn't access via my pc. Finally got it to work, but it didn't have anything to do with the settings other then enabling mass storage mode...All I did was go into the media settings, and chose to store my media on the media card, then I took a picture, and saved it, and the phone automatically set up the file system on the card...now I can move media right to the phone's drive letter using my pc's file manager....really easy....also had an LG VX9800 that required the phone to set up the file system before it could be used, but it had a way to do that, and I couldn't find how to do it any other way on my 8130...

LL