Hi everyone, just bought an unlocked 8100 and switched my SIM out of my old ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cefoskey no está en línea Stack level 1

New 8100 owner, from a SLVR

Advertisement

Hi everyone, just bought an unlocked 8100 and switched my SIM out of my old SLVR and got the pearl up and running. My question is, I understand that I will need to purchase a blackberry data plan to use BB specific features, so what can I do with my existing SIM card/data plan?

Doesnt appear that I can access the web with my old data plan, can I still send text messages? I guess my main question is if there is any other configuration I need to do to assure reliable voice and SMS messaging before I plunge with a BB dataplan. I tried to compose a message, but got an error stating I had not configured any message services. Not sure what to do there...

Thanks for any help in advance...glad I found the site!
    Last edited by cefoskey; 08-27-2007 at 08:03 PM.

mlin13 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: New 8100 owner, from a SLVR

Welcome to the stacks!

I think you're supposed to be able to send text messages. But I heard before that some people couldn't do that. I personally have a data plan from Tmobile. Who is your carrier?

Also, depending on the OS of your phone, you can upgrade to the latest OS.
    You can check what is loaded on your phone by going to Options > About
    I'm running v4.2.1.107

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You can do this...

Go to Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, Menu(button to the left of the trackball), Register Now

That will get your service books that you need for now. You voice and SMS should just be working just fine. You will need a BB data plan to use the MMS though(if you're with AT&T) (TMO you don't need a data plan but will need the enabler, either or will work)

Depedning on your carrier eventually you will need to set your TCP/APN settings which you can find here. http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...t_carrier.html
    Those settings you will need for different apps that access the internet. Opera Mini, BBWeather, etc.
    I'm getting ahead of you.

I'll leave it at that for now...if you have more questions just ask or you can look through these threads. http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...gettingstarted

Hi

I am on a Cingular/ATT account. If I try to compose a message i get an error stating "No message services configured. You will only be able to Save Draft"

Since I dont have a BB dataplan, I also have the "data connection refused message" on the top banner as well.

But I was under the impression I would still have voice and SMS access with my SLVR SIM card.

awesome, thanks reddog.
    Last edited by cefoskey; 08-27-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Did you try and register? Not sure if that will work if your connection is refused.

Give that a try tell me how it goes....and Welcome to the Stacks...hehe where are my manners.

ericjackson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM Me

If your slvr came with the itunes take your media card out if you want to put a few songs or pics on it. Its only 512mb though

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

You can definitely still use voice and SMS without a data plan. When you go to messages, make sure that you select compose SMS and not compose email as sending emails require the data plan.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Did you try and register? Not sure if that will work if your connection is refused.

Give that a try tell me how it goes....and Welcome to the Stacks...hehe where are my manners.
    well when I hit the register now button I got a message saying "Registration message sent!", but I still am getting the same error when trying to create a message stating no message services are configured.

buuut I think this is because it defaults to sending an Email message instead of SMS. any way to switch that?

looks like I need to get that data plan asap.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by cefoskey
    well when I hit the register now button I got a message saying "Registration message sent!", but I still am getting the same error when trying to create a message stating no message services are configured.

buuut I think this is because it defaults to sending an Email message instead of SMS. any way to switch that?

looks like I need to get that data plan asap.
    Yea I guess you need the data plan...sorry. You can always call AT&T and ask them to send the service books you need? Other than that I'm not sure how it works with the evil deathstar company
    It just looks like your provisioning is correct. If you give them a call I'm sure they can straighten it out.

Good Luck, let us know if you have anymore questions.

thanks for all your help. so far so good, these little phones are incredible!

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by cefoskey
    thanks for all your help. so far so good, these little phones are incredible!
    Yea it gets even better with a BB data plan. Have fun, let us know if you have any other questions.

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

i have to agree with reddog, maximize your pearl! get the BB data plan!