Lately my 8100 has been REALLY slow. Usually, when I'm typing an email or text, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

Need to reinstall OS?

Advertisement

Lately my 8100 has been REALLY slow. Usually, when I'm typing an email or text, I can go really fast and hit the * (or SYM) key without even thinking when I need a symbol, and eventually the OS catches up with my speed and all my text usually gets typed out. Now, it's so slow, that when I hit the SYM key and immediately hit the "GH" key for the colon symbol (or anything else) it doesn't recognize I hit the SYM key first, and it just types out an "h". Lame.

So instead of just flying through emails or texts I have to go very slow and make sure my device can keep up with me. If it's not being slow, then the hourglass is usually up, and that usually means that A) somebody is calling me, B) i'm getting an email or text, or C) my BB is about to freeze.

I have 4.5.0.124. I think I need to do a complete wipe and reinstall of my current OS because I am not aware of any OS newer than my .124. Any suggestions on what to do here? Also, I am done attempting to install JL_Cmder anymore, as it does not work where ever I install it from, and however I try to install it. It looks like a handy program that would really be perfect for what I want to do but it just does not work.

Thanks a lot in advance.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    have you checked your free memory? how much is it?
    you may want to free up some memory that can help instead of wippin and reloading
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

honestly my memory is really never a problem anymore...as of right now I have 6,322,716 available. for me I'd say that is about average. It's had that much before and it's always been fine..

ALSO: Doesn't 4.5 come with "Docs To Go"?? I tried viewing a MSWord .doc on my BB and it didn't recognize it..

PIN/ID
    ask me
    do you have Docs to Go installed?
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

No, when I installed .52 or whatever OS I had prior to this it came with the OS. I didn't need to install anything

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yes it comes with the os but you need to check the left hand box to install it
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Ok, thanks, so what should I do if freeing up memory doesn't work?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    6mb is pretty low and could definitely be slowing down your device. You should really be concerned with anything below the 10mb range.

Do you use a lot of 3rd party apps? Are there any you aren't using that you can remove? Do you have any apps that are running in the background? Have you removed the Help and TTY applications? That would free up about 5mb of space.

Khalnath no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    When I "upgraded" to the newest OS, my 8100 started seriously chugging along. It definitely felt a lot more sluggish. I'd recommend trying an older OS version to avoid the overhead of GPS/Wifi support on a device that can't do either.

The solution I ultimately went with is a little on the pricey side, though.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Freeing up some memory should work some tips are: go to your messages folder and click the menu key and select view folder, delete all the things you don't need on ach folder, clear you browser content cache, delete third party apps you don't use, if you have third party themes delete the ones you don't use, if some of them aare available via ota just bookmark the page where the theme is, close each app you don't use

~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Last edited by ealvnv; 05-21-2009 at 01:02 PM.