Hello. I've tried a few methods already and none have worked. Here are a few ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Thumbs down Need Help To Get Rid Of IT Policy...

Advertisement

Hello.

I've tried a few methods already and none have worked.

Here are a few things to consider:

-I was never on BES
    -This phone was bought new, unless something wasn't mentioned to me.
    -I have tried JerryD's Clearing IT Polciy method
    -I have also tried the method where you replace the bin file and set a new registry key.

The applications which I am having trouble with are:

-Mobipocket Reader
    -VoiceRecorder+

I get the following error:

"The application (x) has attempted to access a location inside of the firewall and outside of the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy."

Also, I spoke to a rep yesterday and she said the only way around this is to have the firewall off when accessing these applications.

To my knowledge, there are Stackers out there that can use these applications while having the firewall activated.

Another problem: after speaking to the Tmo rep I was not able to turn off my firewall and I was getting an error asking for my keystore passkey...which I have no idea what it is and that my phone even had one. I'm at 5/10 guesses left and then it wipes.

Not that it wiping matters, because I did that myself and I still can't turn off the firewall.

Also, a strange little orange/red lock appeared next to "Enabled" under status...and when I try to choose "Disable"...it just opens a menu with the following choices instead of choosing between Enable and Disable:

-Reset settings
    -Edit default permissions
    -Reset all counts
    -Save
    -Close
    -Full menu

And when I select full menu it doesn't change except "Full Menu" is replaced with close.

I was also wondering if completely erasing (or killing if you will) my phone and reloading the OS and EVERYTHING else on it would make the phone as if it was fresh out of the factory with NO IT policy.

TIA to everyone that helps out.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The issue you are having doesn't sound like an IT Policy issue. You can check to see if you even have one by going into security settings -> General Settings and scroll down to the bottom. If there is an IT policy in place you will see it at the very bottom. Once you determine if there is one in place or not you can start troubleshooting in the correct direction.
    What it does sound like is that the permissions for the application haven't been correctly set within the firewall itself. To check these permissions you can go to Options->Advanced->Applications. Scroll down to the apps in question and press the menu button. You should see either an "edit permissions" or "edit default permissions". Check those and see if something is on that shouldn't be.

Zo

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Zo

I have no "IT Policy" visible anywhere on my BB.

Also, I have tried setting all permissions to "Allow" and have still gotten the error. And that doesn't make sense to me.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Hmmm.....I don't have much experience with either one of the apps you are wanting to use so I can't check my unit and see what they are set at to compare. I know someone will be along that is using it.

Zo

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Wow that is a puzzler. If its never been on an IT poicy. what about APNs? do the programs require the APN for you carrier in TCP settings?
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I agree with Amigo. Its probably the applications.

ineedspeed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24270d4c
    You have the remnants of a BES policy in place even though you may not show it in the security settings. I had the same exact problem with my 8820 and the only cure for me was to set it up on a BES. I'm fortunate that I have access to a BES so that cured my problem.

I would not recommend using the "policy.bin" file that is floating around the web as that will disable your bluetooth connectivity to your Desktop Manager software. It will not cure the problem you are showing, if anything I believe that "policy.bin" just makes things worse.

PIN/ID
    24270d4c
    I just re-read your post and see that you used that "policy.bin" file that I mentioned. That has pretty much locked you out of the firewall settings. The only way to currently allow your apps access to the web is to hook up your phone to a BES and install a default policy with Bluetooth enabled for Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass enabled.

The other option would be to wait for OS4.5 which from my understanding will allow users to wipe out policies from their Blackberries using some software tool. I understand that this is available for OS 4.3, not sure about it since I'm waiting for OS4.5.

Do yourself a favor and remove the policy.bin file from your computer and remove the registry entry as well. If you manage to get a hold of a BES and you connect your Blackberry to your p.c before you remove these two items you will lock yourself out.

Another thing to note, if you decide to try and use JLCommander to wipe your Blackberry and install a clean operating system, save yourself the trouble. Once the OS is installed the policy will still be in place.

What I am typing is all based on personal experience, hope it helps.
    Last edited by ineedspeed; 04-15-2008 at 07:33 PM.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    ^ yes that does help.

so wiping the OS and reinstalling one downloaded from the Tmo site will not rid me of this policy?

also...how is it that others can use such applications with their firewall on and have no problems?

PIN/ID
    24270d4c
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    ^ yes that does help.

so wiping the OS and reinstalling one downloaded from the Tmo site will not rid me of this policy?

also...how is it that others can use such applications with their firewall on and have no problems?
    That is correct, the policy will remain. The best thing to do if you don't have access to a BES is to wait until OS4.5 comes out. Then you can upgrade and wipe out the policy.

It's not so much the firewall that is keeping your programs from running properly. There is an option in that policy.bin file that enables a BES restriction that disallows access to programs, keeps them from sending and receiving data from the web. It's in the BES policy, by default it is off but some companies turn it on, I believe it is the "allow split pipe connections" setting under security in whatever policy is being used by a company.

Just my theory on how alot of people end up with policy's. I think alot of these phones get sold then returned by users who used them on a BES. Once they are returned they get sent to some refurb or reconditioning center where they are given a cursory glance and a basic "wipe" to reset them. Then get sent back out as refurbs or possibly even new.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    great...i was one of the unlucky ones to end up with such a phone i guess...hope 4.5 comes out real soon then...like NOW lol jk...no but seriously soon

does anyone else have any input on this?

what about that little orange/red lock next to my firewall status that isnt letting me change it to "Disabled"?

PIN/ID
    N/A
    also...would anyone be able to post their policy.bin file? one that was unchanged without BES?

or would that be bad?