The company I work for has just started a new program where they will pick ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

SteveL1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Need help choosing carrier for a BB newbie...

Advertisement

The company I work for has just started a new program where they will pick up the service cost for my phone instead of reimbursing me $100/month, but I will be buying the Pearl out of my own pocket, all be it at a deep discount, I hope. Problem is that they only have three carriers that I can pick from and I want to make sure that I get the best coverage for the best $$$ so they don't come back to me later and try to charge me for non covered data access, etc.

The carriers are Sprint, Cingular and Verizon, but they may be adding T-Mobile in the near future. The company probably has something like 2500 to 3000 cells lines so they are getting pretty good rates.

Question is, which carrier has the best coverage and best data packages of the three as I will be using the Pearl as a modem on occassion and will be acessing e-mail through ACT! database management software. Also, are there any other services that I can just not live without now that I will have a BB for the first time?

Also, since I will no longer have a family plan with Verizon, I will need to get my wife a new service package that I assume should be with the same carrier to take advantage of free mobile to mobile calls. She uses her cell very little but could use it for some long distance.

Did I make that confusing enough??? Thanks for the great forum and I look forward to learning a lot here!

silverxj no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Need help choosing carrier for a BB newbie...

Personnaly I would reccommend cingular.
    I have been with them for a while now and have been taken care of very good.
    As far as coverage, I think cingular has everybody beat.
    I am sure some others will argue, but everybody has their own opinion.

~John

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

SteveL1, Welcome to PinStack,

Your choice is limited to one if you want the Pearl. Cingular is the only one of the three that is a GMS carrier so that is the one you will have to go with. If you are not limited to the Pearl then coverage will be the deciding factor.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Well T-mobile would be the best option but since they are no available I would go with Cingular (plus what rcbjr said)

squ34k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EAD2EE

I'd choose Cingular since they have the Pearl. I know Verizon doesn't have the Pearl yet, I'm not sure about Sprint. Probably don't have it either. I personally like Cingular better than any of the other carriers, but it's a personal opinion.
    Will you be my friend?
    AIM: killaninjamnky
    Y!: isitupsidedown
    MSN: squ34k@gmail.com
    PIN - 23EAD2EE

Cercopes no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D8D11

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have the pearl and I am with t-mobile, I have been very happy with their coverage and cost.
    You can go to each carriers website and look at their coverage locator maps, to see wich carrier has the best coverage in your area.

SteveL1 no está en línea Stack level 2

So you are all saying that I have to use Cingular???? If I were to buy the phone from a freind or off E-bay, why couldn't I go to any of the carriers? Is it a software thing or something else? Thanks for the warm welcome too.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Because the Current Pearl is a GSM based phone and Sprint and Verizon or both CDMA based Services. The Pearl is just not compatible those networks.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I went with tmo over cingular because they let me attach the phone to my laptop and use it as a modem. The people in the Cingular store told me it would be an additional $60 a month to allow me to tether my pearl to my laptop for net access. My tmo service is great, and have friends on Cingular with the pearl as well and none of us have service problems. I have heard though that verizon EvDO data service is the fastest out there.

Take care,
    David

t.brock no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

i like cingular myself and thats what i have, but i think you should look at the coverage maps and see which one has the best coverage....like it was said a few post up cingular has everyone beat on coverage...
    Thumbs must hurt....
    Crackberry addict........
    Give the lazy man a hard job to do, and he will find the easy way to do it!!!

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by silverxj
    Personnaly I would reccommend cingular.
    I have been with them for a while now and have been taken care of very good.
    As far as coverage, I think cingular has everybody beat.
    I am sure some others will argue, but everybody has their own opinion.

~John
    I agree totally. Cingular .

GotPearl?