Stupid me, I took my phone out on a fishing trip and even though it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

griffindj no está en línea Stack level 1

My phone got wet, what can I do to get a replacement?

Advertisement

Stupid me, I took my phone out on a fishing trip and even though it was in a sealed plastic baggie, a little water got in. When I noticed this I took it out of the bag and tried to turn it on to see if it works. The screen wouldn't turn on and there was a solid red light on the "message indicator" for about 10 seconds and then that went out too.

I gave it two days to dry out and it still wont turn on. I read on these forums and I see the "water damage indicator" on my battery is a blurry red/pinkish line meaning that there was water damage. I also heard of a second indicator near the sd card slot and that is still white but it has a very (and i mean very) small pink spot on one corner. I don't believe in insurance (laugh now) so I didn't purchase any but the phone is only 5 months old. :cry:

*Can I call t-mobile and play stupid by telling them my phone just wont turn on anymore?
    *Will they ask me to bring it into a store to check the water indicators?
    *Can I buy a new battery to replace the old and (if that doesn't fix it) take it into the store and hope they ignore the pink dot on the second indicator?
    *And worst case scenario, what kind of damage am I looking at to buy a new pearl? Will it be full retail price or do they take pity on their customers with water damage and offer a discount.

Anyone with experience with returning a malfunctioning phone or using the pearls warranty please help me.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: My phone got wet, what can I do to get a replacement?

No, you won't get any pity or any discount if you're not eligible for a discount. Yes, they will send you to a store so a rep can check the water damage indicator. If you're not eligible for a discount, you'll be looking at full retail price in the store. Good news, there's pearls for sale on the forums, as well as ebay.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3

yea it sux any water that touches yor phone with or without inurance isnt covered

griffindj no está en línea Stack level 1

So here's what I did.

I went to Best Buy to buy a replacement battery. When I put in the new battery the message indicator blinked red twice ever minute or so. I gave up trying to fix it and called t-mobile. The only questions they asked were about scratches to the screen and about the water damage indicator. I told them the truth, that the sticker was white, but left out that it had a pink dot on one corner. They are sending me a refurbished phone for 10$ shipping. If they find out about the water damage to the old phone it will only be a 100$ charge which is something I can definately live with. The refurbished one even comes with the same warranty so I'll be covered again until november.

So all is well again. I just gotta wait til next week and hope they don't look too closely at the sticker. Worst case is I'm out 100$ which is just another reason I think insurance is a rip off industry.

jimbo831 no está en línea Stack level 1

You are in luck. I got great news for you. I happen to know T-Mobile's policies very well. Your best bet is to call them and just play dumb. Explain the problem and after troubleshooting they will have you check the water indicators and tell them how they look. Make sure you tell them they are white and make no mention of your phone getting wet at all. They will read you a script and tell you terms of return, one of them being that if your phone is water damaged you will be charged a $100 "out of warranty fee." Most likely when they get it, you will be charged that fee, but it will be A LOT cheaper than replacing your Pearl. Especially since you wouldn't get a discounted price this time.

jimbo831 no está en línea Stack level 1

Sorry, I didn't notice your recent post before I made mine so I see you already did what I said. But they usually do investigate the phones pretty well and you will most likely pay the $100, but that's a great price for a replacement Pearl.