First off I have been searching but so many topics with the same info that ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Snyeed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242094F0

My pearl is toast

Advertisement

First off I have been searching but so many topics with the same info that doesnt seem to help me.

I had my pearl in the bathroom when I was taking a shower waiting for an important phone call, About 30mins later when I was browsing my media the phone just froze and then restarted itself. It would keep doing it over and over so I did a battery pull which didnt help much.

Now my phone will not power up at all, with the battery installed or the BB plugged into the USB it just flashes long red lights.

I tried a new battery, I tried reinstalling the OS when the computer wont recognize your device but it gets stuck on device initialization.

I just barley installed OS .103

any help?

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: My pearl is toast

Quote Originally Posted by Snyeed
    First off I have been searching but so many topics with the same info that doesnt seem to help me.

I had my pearl in the bathroom when I was taking a shower waiting for an important phone call, About 30mins later when I was browsing my media the phone just froze and then restarted itself. It would keep doing it over and over so I did a battery pull which didnt help much.

Now my phone will not power up at all, with the battery installed or the BB plugged into the USB it just flashes long red lights.

I tried a new battery, I tried reinstalling the OS when the computer wont recognize your device but it gets stuck on device initialization.

I just barley installed OS .103

any help?
    Sounds like moisture damage from the steam.. if thats the case.. a replacement device is in order, hopefully you have insurance to minimize the replacement cost

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Try leaving the battery out maybe overnight so you give it a chance to dry completely out.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Is the Liquid Damage sticker next to the memory card slot red or white? If it is white call TMO for a replacement. if it is red hopefully you have insurance or you can call RIM for a repair and return.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5

I was just reading an article on MSN.com (from CNET) that you should take out battery and sim card and let it dry for a day or more. The article also mentioned, though, a replacement may not be offered since there was moisture damage. Hopefully, this is not the case for you.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

alright gonna post this cause not many people know what to do if you drop any electronic in water.

1. get it out as fast as possible, of course while keeping in mind the general safety of yourself and others please

2. if the device is on then turn off the device immediately...however if the device is already off then don't try and turn it on as you will definitely brick your device

3. take apart the device as carefully and as much as possible (remove all doors and cases, take out batteries, unscrew antennas, remove key pads,...anything and everything that will come out must, if it's something like the PSP with a hinged door make sure it stays completely open

4. let device air dry for at least 24 hours if not more...most DIYers would recommend at least 36 to 72 hours (yes i know 3 days without your BB the world is over)

5. every 12 hours you should blast all parts of the device with compressed air so as to remove any and all moisture, dropletts, etc...don't ruin your device doing this by messing around with the canned air and using it incorrectly...they can destroy your electronics almost instantly and can give people "frostbite"

6. patience and more patience is the key to hopefully saving your device from a watery grave

hope this helps...i have saved a phone, a digital camera, and my best-friends PSP this way

Snyeed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242094F0

Thank you all for your help, I figured it was from the steam but not really a big deal. I really have a reason now to get the new 8320 from tmobile.

The sticker is white still, I didnt get the phone through tmobile but from ebay which in that case I'm sure tmobile wont send me a replacment. I will let it dry out some more and it may just work.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Snyeed; 09-07-2007 at 05:22 PM.