Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody else have this happen where the Pearl button has stopped rolling down. It just ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Yazaaab no está en línea Stack level 2

My Pearl has stopped rolling down.

Advertisement

Anybody else have this happen where the Pearl button has stopped rolling down. It just stopped, I guess I will have to get it replaced.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Re: My Pearl has stopped rolling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazaaab
    Anybody else have this happen where the Pearl button has stopped rolling down. It just stopped, I guess I will have to get it replaced.
    Take out the battery, wait 10 seconds, replace it. See if that resets the device and the scrolling issue.

These Pearls are just like PC's. Sometimes you hit a combo of commands and the software [operating system] "crashes" by things not working the way they should, e.g., scrolling.

For now, the battery reboot is the best way to fix the problem.

Yazaaab no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the advice but still no go on the rolling down. It is weird, it feels like something is stopping it from moving down.

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Im about to take my pearl apart to see if this is something that can be gotten to from behind if the ball ever needs cleaning. Im sure its gonna get gunky like an old mouse ball.

Alex

giangster no está en línea Stack level 1

If you have warrenty don't take your pearl apart. It voids your warrenty for anything that might happen in the future. And as for your scrolling issue.. I don't know. lol

Well, Im going to have to give in and say this is the first phone I couldnt get apart after the top two screws. Ive taken apart every phone Ive ever had and this one just gave no indications on where it snapped together besides two little snaps below the battery.

Good luck to those that figure it out and if you do, please tell me.

Alex

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

Might wanna check out the disassembly guide:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/8100_Disassembly

Quote Originally Posted by Yazaaab
    Thanks for the advice but still no go on the rolling down. It is weird, it feels like something is stopping it from moving down.
    Oh, it's mechanical, did not know that.

Ditto on post about taking it apart. That will void the warranty. Just send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3
    I'm about to take my pearl apart to see if this is something that can be gotten to from behind if the ball ever needs cleaning. I'm sure its gonna get gunky like an old mouse ball.

Alex
    You can look at the "how to disassemble" thread, but sounds to me like something came loose or broke in there.

So your better bet is to leave it to the carrier to replace the phone rather than tinkering with it, only to find that the mechanism will need a new part.

The trackball seems the type that has a lot going on in there considering all that it does. So who wants to fool with finding the problem, ordering micro/mini parts, reassembly, etc.? And that's only if things go well.

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

I used a corner piece of magazine cover (thicker than printer paper, thinner than cardboard) to slide in behind the trackball. I fished around there a bit with it to make sure there was no chunks of dust or something between the ball and the roller sensors. Mine wasn't rolling to the left properly, and using the paper cleaned it out. You might also try firing some compressed air in there behind the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    You can look at the "how to disassemble" thread,
    "Search" no find.

Nice, that was great. Thanks.

Alex

Warranty is VOID

Quote Originally Posted by mythmbhurts
    taking your pearl apart will not viod the warrenty hence there being no way to tell that you took it apart such as tape strips or things of that nature.... The only thing that will viod your warrenty for sure is is one of the two water damage indicators is turned red meaning water damage.
    Your statement says that taking it apart will not void the warranty if they cannot tell he took it apart. This implies that taking the Pearl apart will void the warranty, if they can tell it has been disassembled.

Fact is, if he disassembles the Pearl, the warranty is void. I am not saying that manufacturers always look to see if something was disassembled, but they might.

As far as I know all manufacturers void warranties if a user fiddles with the insides, so to speak. This makes sense since the majority of people do NOT know how to disassemble electronic devices, have as you say, "skilled hands", nor how to make repairs. And for sure, if I was a manufacturer I would not warrant or replace devices that the users have tried to fix at home.

And from a legal standpoint [which I know some Members say "to heck with the legalities"], RIM's warranty statement says:

This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if any component of the BlackBerry hardware is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM, and does not cover repair or replacement of any BlackBerry Hardware damaged by: misuse, moisture or liquids, proximity or exposure to heat, accident, abuse, neglect, misapplication, or defects due to repairs or modifications made by anyone other than RIM.

So saying do-it-yourself repairs does not void the warranty is a misstatement.

But if you meant to say that the warranty is not void if the carrier cannot tell the phone was tinkered with, that is a true statement, but he should proceed at his own peril.

All it takes is one carrier or RIM tech to see that his Pearl was fooled with and he is stuck. Yeah, he might get away with it, but I would not gamble that everything would go right and that his actions won't be detected.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperM3
    "Search" no find.
    Sorry, the disassembly procedure was not on PinStack. Here it is:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/8100_Disassembly

Disclaimer: By providing you the link I am not saying you should take apart your Pearl.

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Yes I agree if you have steady hands and have taken BB's apart in the past this one is very easy to disassemble. If you feel not up to the disassembly take it to your t-mobile store and have them take it apart and clean it or warrenty it. Im simply stating that as in some BB's and other phones there are tape strips or other indicators that the device has been disassembled I did not see any such things while I had mine apart. the only thing is you have a clear shot to the 4 rollers underneath while its apart to make them move again if infact one is stuck in place. this can be seen also in the pictures of the disassembled pearl on the fact site.
    I know myself I can not go with out my BB for the time it takes for them to oship a new one and do not like how I have to warrenty it with T-mobile sometimes they are a pain to deal with. If you can do it witout breaking anything and feel confident in yourself its not that hard. 4 screws and thats it.
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast