Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

if you are critical of the pearl, buy that other phone that is so much ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

zjeepgozweel no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: My Opinion On All The Gripes

Advertisement

if you are critical of the pearl, buy that other phone that is so much better. Maybe you should start your own handset company.

CAPONE no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    300C099E

I don't have a Pearl, but I heard that they have trouble playing video. Can someone clear this up for me once and for all? Is video playback available and WORKING on Pearls?

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by CAPONE
    I don't have a Pearl, but I heard that they have trouble playing video. Can someone clear this up for me once and for all? Is video playback available and WORKING on Pearls?
    The 8100 does NOT have trouble playing video. The posts and gossip saying there was a problem were made when the people first got there 8100's, literally within days after it was released.

People did not understand that the 8100 will play video ONLY after the video has been converted into GP3 format, which is a format that developed for playing on cell phones.

Once those who criticized the 8100 as not being able to play video properly converted the files, they basically withdrew their negative comments.

See the main posts on the 8100 section that mentions how to convert video into GP3 format.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 09-27-2006 at 08:19 PM.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I thought a lot of that was because the user guide doesn't specify what format the video files have to be be until page 141.

On Page 134, it says you can:
    "Play video files, such as .avi, .mov, .mp4 or .3gp files, from the Blackberry device memory or a media card."

Then, under the Media Troubleshooting section on page 141 it says:
    "I cannot play videos
    You can only play videos that are encoded as MPEG-4 Part 2 Simple Profile or H.263"

Now, while this cleared things up right away for me, and doubtless many people, it's very easy to see how the simple, but crucial omission of exactly which format your files have to be in up front caused so much annoyance. That along with the Desktop Manager not checking the files you choose to copy to the device for the correct encoding. Minor mistakes, but I bet it put a few people off.

What would be nice to see in future revs of the manual would be an up front statement of what format video files have to be in before the troubleshooting section, which by the time people get around to reading, they're usually frustrated or at least a little annoyed.

Also, a page covering what one needs to do to get their video into a compatible format, even if it doesn't list specific apps, should be in the user guide. While it's great that there's a guide here for it, that shouldn't be necessary.

It seems like they assumed that only multimedia savvy users would be interested and would figure it out, which I think is a mistake that could limit the broad appeal they're desperately after. It's akin to Apple expecting people to figure out how to get their music into aac on their own for use in their iPods.

But that's all a documentation issue, which thankfully, is something they could easily fix and get out there as fast as they can get Distiller to spit the PDF out.

I do hope they'll improve that by the time the 8800 comes out, or OS 4.2 shows up for the 8700.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by BBWrangler
    I thought a lot of that was because the user guide doesn't specify what format the video files have to be be until page 141.
    I agree 100% with you.

They should have mentioned the video and conversion issues, even if it's an asterisk on the box and in the manual "for video to play, file must be in xxx format." But in their defense, perhaps they intentionally did not include instructions or notices on "how to," etc. because of copyright issues?

Technically, although one may be converting a legally owned file into GP3 format, media giants could still say that RIM was in the pirating business.

Sounds silly, but recall that case with "DVD X Copy" or whoever it was. The studios put them out of business because even though they were only selling software so people could backup legally owned DVDs, the Court agreed with the studios that the program was making what they considered illegal copies.

So maybe RIM wanted to steer clear of telling us too much about how to make copies of TV shows and movies? Best way to steer clear is to put the info way in the back of the manual.

bendite no está en línea Stack level 2

I think the 8100 is the best Blackberry I have used to date. I think it does everything pretty good. I am bummed on the lack of video camera feature with the camera. The TMo SDA did video and everything else the 8100. That said, I still think the 8100 is still the best phone I have used.

lhl
    lhl no está en línea Stack level 1

FWIW, as a new BB user (coming from a Palm Treo and most recently a WM5
    device that I've come to despise), I'm very happy with my new 8100. In general, the OS has consistently surprised me w/ how well thought out and refined it is (well, except for the sluggishness when it runs out of memory...)

* I can understand the internal memory due as an engineering trade-off -- I don't mind too much because having almost lost my miniSD cards due to the cards popping out accidentally, I don't think I'd ever be able to find my microSD card if it ever did that...

* I'm oddly enough not too bothered by having to transcode video. Maybe it's because you really have/want to do that anyway since you only have 1GB of storage, and that once you do transcode (I'm mencoding to MPEG-4 @ 320kbps) it works and looks great, and it's been easy enough for me to write a simple alias for

* There are a several software improvements that would be nice with the Browser, and especially with the Media Player - it seems like that'll happen on its own pace. In the mean time, I've ordered a cert, and started playing around with the JDE tools. It looks pretty straightforward (if a bit tedious) to write some apps to fill some of my personal functionality gaps.

* Although for me, the biggest thing missing is not actually the phone itself, but the Mac syncing. I've started playing w/ the PocketMac 4 Beta, but it's been having issues w/ my MBP. Also, I haven't tried setting up the JDE/Simulators in Parallels yet...

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

One of the reasons I love this board- INFORMATION LOTSA INFORMATION

I was being jovial in my first post in this thread, however after reading more...I have some questions

1. Could placement of expansion slot be by design as opposed to oversight?- I have had smart phones and PPC's with easily accessed slot that would occasionally eject themselves. This usually happened when I placed devices in my bag and some how pressure was placed on the card to eject. So wouldn't placement be to make sure card stays in place regardless if BB is in your hand, purse, backpack, back pocket.....etc

2. Smudges on case- first off, I have usually gotten metal cases for PPC's and other devices to ensure device was safe. The super shiny finish is attractive, but don't you think its rather excessive to complain about smudges or fingerprints on a device that you are handling? I currently use 8700g and it does bother me when I use the phone without a headset and the screen gets all hazy and smudged up. But that only occured because I put it up against my face. I simply wipe the screen clear and move on. The purpose and functionality of the BB far outweigh such minor complaints. Wouldn't most people agree?

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

1. That is possible, so placing it under the battery cover makes sense However, burying it the way it is doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'll have to dismantle one to see how the circuit board is laid out.

2. I don't think complaining about the smudging is excessive. Returning the device and demanding a refund would be what I'd call excessive. I'm not calling it a deal killer, but my own impression and observing a couple dozen people's reaction to it is that it's kind of a letdown. Some of the people said they have oily skin and would constantly be wiping it off, while others noticed it that the hand lotion they use rubs off on the Pearl really easily. I refrained from suggesting they not apply it so much or so often.
    I think part of the reaction was because none of the older devices showed dirt & smudges as easily as the Pearl does. The 8700's do it to an extent, but it's limited to the screen area. The Pearl gets it all over and very quickly. I was a little surprised at how much it seemed to annoy people. Since I don't want a Pearl, (happy 8700c user) I don't care as much, but I thought including a simple felt lined case would have been nice.

mothwingdust no está en línea Stack level 2

Being that the 8100 is my first BB, I have to agree with all of the observations of the first post. For everyone one person that has something good to say, there will always be 20 that have something negative. This is human nature...we are far more inclined to speak out when we've got a problem, than when we're satisfied. You'd think that, in this day in age, people would basically be born knowing that almost any computer-based device is going to have some sort of bugs, at least at first. Big deal. Everyone complains left and right about Windows, and have for years, but it still has the market share by a huge margin, because of all of the things it DOES have going for it. People tend to take the positive things for granted and dwell on the negative. Everyone needs to remember that these things are designed by humans, and therefore will have flaws and "issues." That's what OS updates and patches are for.

I think people keep losing sight of the fact that there is no one device that "does it all" and does it well. It's convenient to have expandable memory, but when it comes down to it, I'd much rather have a dedicated mp3 player, because that's what it for. Same for cameras. They're added on as a bonus and convenience, not to take the place of other devices that are specifically designed for that one purpose. It's like having a cheap disposable camera and an SLR: the disposables are nice for birthday parties, vacation, screwing around, etc. But I'd never use one expecting studio-quality photos...I'd use an SLR for that. There is a very good reason a disposable camera costs $4 and high-quality film SLR's can go for upwards of $5000. Expecting a cellphone camera to have the same quality as a $400 digital camera is like taking wedding photos with a Polaroid and then being upset because they look like crap compaired to your friend's photos that they paid a professional photographer $1500 to take.

Overall, I think society in general needs to learn how to be less spoiled and instead enjoy the technological advances we have made over the past ten or twenty years. Just think, fifteen years ago, a camera-equipped cellphone would've been one of those gigantic 5-pound bricks with 20 minutes of battery life, with a Pentax gaffer-taped to it!!!

Yeah, the 8100 has a couple of minor bugs, but I'd bet pretty much anything that we'll have a patch before the month is out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12