Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just thought I'd post some thoughts on the 8100, in DEFENSE against all the slapping ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

My Opinion On All The Gripes

Advertisement

Just thought I'd post some thoughts on the 8100, in DEFENSE against all the slapping and gripes being posted here and elsewhere on the Net:

A) The MicroSD chip being underneath the battery: IMHO that is not a bad design and I suspect much debate went into the decision on where to locate it. Although I speak without any expertise or knowledge, I think it is where it is because:

1) The chip is way too small to have it removable by slipping it in and out of a slot, like we do with easier-to-handle Mini SD and SD chips. I don't know about others, but I can hardly get a good hold on a MicroSD chip, putting it into the phone, then removing it so to insert it into an SD adapter is too cumbersome;

2) Most people do NOT remove chips in cell phone or PDA devices all that often, so easy access is not all that critical a feature;

3) They designed the OS so that the chip is easily accessed by connecting the phone to a PC with the included mini-USB cord. So access to the chip and folders is convenient;

4) Even if a slot could be built in, I think the device's small size would increase. Besides, do they even make an "external access" slot for inserting and ejecting MicroSD chips. If they do, I have to wonder how sturdy such a mechanism would be in the long term considering how small the parts would have to be. Have you noticed how frail the little door is that you have to insert the chip into on the 8100?;

5) Why would one want to remove the chip more than once in a blue moon, to insert it into a chip reader? As far as I know there are not that many readers that accept MicroSD chips, if there are any at all; and removing it to slide it into an SD adapter risk losing the thing. My hands are average size and it's a bear putting it into the slot on the phone; and

6) On a personal level, I do not want to be taking that little chip in and out. It's so small it is easily lost or misplaced. Matter of fact, they ought to color the chip casing bright orange so it sticks out when one drops it on the floor.

B) On a case not being included: I feel that a cell phone case is a personal choice, that is, a personal preference for each user. Some people like slip cases, some like cases that hold the phone sideways, some like a case that covers the front with clear plastic and yet others like the minimalist case that is really a plastic holder that clamps on to the phone and is worn on the belt.

When I got my 7100t it came with a crappy slip case that I never used. So yes, it came with a case, but I did not think how great it was the RIM provided one. I immediately went on eBay and bought a Krusell case.

I suspect that RIM could not provide the cheapo slip case for the 8100 because the trackball would mess it up. And they did not want to include a better engineered case because of cost considerations [and there would still be some people to complain who would then run out and buy a case of their preference].

C) No headphones - First off, a headphone system that can answer calls, play stereo MP3, and allow one to talk would be a fairly expensive device [starting at about $30 for a cheapo set]. On $30 sets the stereo sound is crap IMHO.

Second, even if RIM included the $30 set at their cost, maybe about $10, adding another $10 to the cost of the phone [to the $10 here, $10 there on other items] would compromise the attractive selling price the marketers designated for the 8100.

D) The camera is not as good other digital cameras - Let's see if I have this right. One pays $200 for a cell phone that takes pics, plays MP3 and video movies or TV shows, but the pics are not as good as your dedicated, standalone, $350 digital camera? Oh please.

The camera takes excellent pics for a cell phone camera. Personally, if I want better pics, I plan to take my 5 megapixel camera along. For on the fly, once in a lifetime shots, the 8100 is perfectly fine for me.

And let us not forget that with the advance of technology, that in 2006 we can pay $200 for a three ounce phone that does far more than $500 phones used to do in year 2000. Recall how much we used to pay for Motorola's latest and greatest green monochrome LCD phones that we were willing to pay $500 for simply because it was smaller than the others.

E) The keys can be pulled or stretched with a screwdriver or the jaws of life:

Well, this motivated me to investigate other flaws.

I put a propane torch to the plastic case. Darn thing melted.

I also did a drop test by tossing it over the railing of the second floor shopping mall, on to the tiled first floor. Cheap thing shattered into a million pieces.

Enough said.

F) No video Camera - Repeat, it's a $200 phone folks. Guess we could also complain that it cannot record MP3 from our favorite websites, like shoutcast.com.

Let's also gripe about what RIM did not include with a $200 device:

1) At the minimum a 512MB MicroSD chip to get us started.

2) Some professional photo editing software.

3) Software to convert any video format to the Pearl's GP3 format.

4) A five year full replacement warranty.

Conclusion:

About the only thing that I concede is a bug is that if the phone is naked in the pocket [meaning not in a case], that the trackball prevents calls from being heard. But that is a bug that a 8100 patch will easily fix.

My point is that I am somewhat amazed at people on the Net calling the 8100 flawed or a lemon based on it not having every feature possible, etc.

I keep remembering how much I paid for the 8100 and thinking that for $200 the 8100 is one amazing device. I mean, for $200 I would have bought the 8100 simply to use it as a cell phone and BB, both of which this phone does well.

Well, that's all for now. Feel free to add to my list.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 09-26-2006 at 06:10 PM.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: My Opinion On All The Gripes

E) The keys can be pulled or stretched with a screwdriver or the jaws of life:

Well, this motivated me to investigate other flaws.

I put a propane torch to the plastic case. Darn thing melted.

I also did a drop test by tossing it over the railing of the second floor shopping mall, on to the tiled first floor. Cheap thing shattered into a million pieces.

Enough said.
    HaHa, I tried that test and got the same results. I think we should write a letter, better yet an email to RIM about this defect.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Finally some optimism instead of all the pessimists!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

I agree with A,B,C,D,E and F..........

it's way past time someone made that post.

thanks for the excellent opinion.

Charge on!

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ great post. I've found that using the BlackBerry in ways it was never meant to be used and then complaining about it on the internet make you cool!
    Unproven fact!

thought no está en línea Stack level 1

Fantastic comments.

Continuing along the train of thought started by Moridar, it seems that for too many people, being a critic is seen as being cool.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

lemme just add that i cheated on my bb and tried out a nokia 9300 for a week...guess what, its gone and im still using the 7100g...so much for technology. i'll wait for cingular to offer the bb that i want...

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

I like you...someone with similar viewpoints as myself.

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

Thats a good point of view. I think there are a few minor issues, but like has been stated, for $200 this is a great device.

pinkds no está en línea Stack level 1

great post, can't complain about this phone. it does everything its supposed to do, be a phone, get your email, and let you go online. and its tiny as hell for a pda!!!! can't ask for more.

BRAVO!!!! You are right on! This is the best phone that I have used in 10 years. let everyone else pick apart the keyboard with paperclips and whatever else they want to do, GOSH, what about using the Pearl fpr what is is designed for, and quit trying to be hardware and software engineers redesigning the thing. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and I'm totally happy, it is the best Blackberry ever to hit the market, SURE, it will probably be obsolete within a year the way that technology advances....GREAT, keep moving!!

Jim

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Great List- however you forgot to address

"the phone is too small in my hands" Sasquatch needs to be able to use a BB too.
    "there are constant finger print smudges on the Pearl"- LMAO I can't even begin to address that one.

tippndown no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3012D2AF

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    Great List- however you forgot to address

"the phone is too small in my hands" Sasquatch needs to be able to use a BB too.
    "there are costant finger print smudges on the Pearl"- LMAO I can't even begin to address that one.

lol at that one

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

You make some interesting points, but I simply can't agree with you on some of them.

"2) Most people do NOT remove chips in cell phone or PDA devices all that often, so easy access is not all that critical a feature;"

This is simply untrue. Before the fairly recent advent of 1, 2 and now 4GB SD cards, to carry around a decent amount of media required several cards, and a certain amount of swapping. I've been using SD cards with my Palm T|X & T|E for a few years now, and I can tell you that even a 1GB card isn't quite enough if you want to take TV episodes or movies, or a lot of music with you.

The placement of the microSD slot is bad. You said yourself that the parts involved are fragile. That's simply an additional reason to put it somewhere more accesible, but under the protection of the battery cover, not to bury it in corner under the battery.

Then there's the lack of a case, where you suggest:
    " I suspect that RIM could not provide the cheapo slip case for the 8100 because the trackball would mess it up. "

And yet, a cheap case with an indentation, or even a round cover that snaps around the trackball area would take care of this problem where the device won't ring while it's in your pocket.

As for people not using the case, 85% of the broken devices I have to fix or replace were because people refused to use the case for whatever reason, no matter how many times we've asked them to, or seen their own device smashed in a situation where the case would have saved it. Add to that that even the simplest vinyl on cardboard case would prevent the issue where it won't ring in your pocket, and it strikes me as being either rushed out without spending the time to come up with a basic case, or RIM playing the razor blade game. (ie sell the core device, but charge plenty for every single accessory). Either one of those is lame in my opinion.

As for the peanut gallery laughing about the smudges, you'd be amazed, shocked, and dismayed all at once if you heard half of the complaints/comments I get from people about their blackberries. I realize they made it high gloss to draw people to it; "Oooooh, Shiny" is a time proven marketing technique, and seems to be working well with the pearl. All the people who handled the ones we've setup here commented oh how easily it picks up fingerprints and smudges. None of them would turn it down for that reason of course.

The pragmatist in me would like to see a satin finish on it, since matte or flat would make all the people who like the shine go apoplectic.

I'm one of the people that commented about the pearl not feeling natural when used as a phone. In my case it was totally subjective. I'm rather picky about cell phones, and for the record, am no Sasquatch.
    I'm sure people with small hands love it though.

malibuandy no está en línea Stack level 1

San Francisco is 100% right about what a great device the Pearl is at any price, much less one that only costs $200 or so! So it is not perfect, so there are a few bugs, but look what you are getting:
    1. great sounding phone with great reception
    2. The best e mail device on the planet
    3. An operating system that is basically bulletproof, especially compared to the system on a Treo or Q Phone
    4. The ability to take pictures, not great, but adequate.
    5. The ability to download music which allows you to leave you ipod at home.

So the main point is that here you have a device that can do four things: great e mail, great phone, really good music, and an adequate camera. Surely the camera will get better on the next generation-Nokia announced a phone today with a 5 megapixel camera and I am sure RIM will do better next time. But look what an improvement over the Blackberry devices a few years ago with black and white screens! The Blackberry screen is super bright, the type is super thick, there are
    programmable keys on the side of the phone, the ability to download video, maps, voice dialing, maps, a faster browser, a beautiful, sleek, great feeling case, improved suretype, more speed dial numbers, tons more shortcuts, the incredible trackball which blows the trackwheel away, and a much smaller size.

So I am loving my 8100. I am a very heavy phone and e mail user-probably 1o0 phone calls and over 150 e mails a day, and I am ecstatic. It is a business tool for me, but all of the "consumer" upgrades such as
    camera and music and video also makes a business persons life easier and more efficient. My life is sure simple now only having to worry about one device and one battery and one charging cord and my digital camera and Ipod stay in my briefcase but are almost never used.

I have had every brand phone and PDA and seven past Blackberries and this blows everything away.

And to make it even better, T Mobile has the best customer service of any carrier(I have had Sprint, AT&T, and Cingular), with very short waits and generally very informed reps. And great prices.

Can the future Blackberry's do more? Sure, and they will. What would I like to see next? TV, video, radio, Wi-Fi, a wireless music and video download service But it would be nice to see more constructive suggestions rather than so much constant knocking
    of the best and coolest device ever made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast