im a little dissapointed on the wi-fi browsing speed. i cleaned everything up. did a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

my full 8120 review.

Advertisement

im a little dissapointed on the wi-fi browsing speed. i cleaned everything up. did a battery pull. running 22mb free. never even touched the browser. went to cnet.com because its a large page to load. "my test page" took the standard 30_40 seconds on edge. then cleared cache and did it again this time with wifi on.(im using an airport extreme from 3 feet away). its about 5 seconds faster at best. i tested it on several websites and its the same. the only difference i see other then the slightly faster web page loading is the images come in a little bit clearer with the wi-fi. if you ask me i think this has to do with the processor. my network speed according to my laptop is 144mb/s which is a strong signal. even in b/g only mode and no other devices connected to my network its the same thing.

call quality- on par with my curve and every other blackberry model out that ive used excellent.

heres the issue. i was sick all of sunday. so i spent the day in the house. i woke up and did a battery drain test. i left wi-fi on blue tooth on all day. with my idea of moderate usage..minimal web browsing. about 20 minutes on the phone. 20-30 short texts throughout the day. and about 25 emails all text only. the battery life went at a rate of 10% an hour. from 8 in the morning till 5 in the afternoon (my standard working hours. i was at 15% battery life left. my curve lasted me at least 12-15 hours before i felt i had to get it on the charger and thats with heavy useage. and the same apps running. im waiting on my seidio battery to come in and ill see if it helps (which it always does)

pictures- same as curve maybe even a little more sharper. all around great quality.

video- all i can say is eh.. the video quality is sub par but what can you say for a tiny phone. but i will say the mic is very sensitive and pics up everything.

build quality- excellent. better over the 8100 the keys feel strong the device just feels like they took there time building it. rather then feeling like you have to baby it like the former pearl this feels like it can take some abuse.

looks- i think its good on both ends. the color makes it look good enough for a man yet sleek enough for a women. i personally love the color scheme. good for both sexes

one problem they fixed thank god. that i had a big problem with anyone who has had a pearl. the battery cover slides up very easy un wantingly. the battery cover on the 8120 is strong in place. feels very secure which keeps me happy not thinking my battery cover is going to pop off at any moment.

on a scale of 1-10 id give this device a 8.5 there are a few issues. but over the 8100 it is a great improvement. and i advise the upgrade to anyone who is on the fence about it. and is a fan of the pearl.

any other questions pm me or respond here. im still playing around with everything. like a kid with a new toy.
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3
    hmmm...giving me second thought about switching when tmo releases their version...maybe ill just wait for the new firmware for the curve, thanks bro.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    Thank you so much nicky for that very informative review. I am still deciding if I want to sell this pearl for that one. So maybe I just need to get an extended battery then if I'm going to do that?
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

HITMONEY no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A06965
    <shrug>
    My WiFi works great.

I cleared my cache, did a battery pull, connected to WiFi (DSL, speakeasy test 1.2mb down and 216kbps up) opened the browser and went to www.cnet.com
    The page loaded enough to use roughly 75% in 5 seconds and loaded completely 100% in just under 10 seconds.

On EDGE the page loads enough to use, 75% in about 25 seconds and 100% in 38 seconds.

Only thing I am not happy about thus far is that I cannot get Opera to work on WiFi, only EDGE so far.
    Last edited by HITMONEY; 03-31-2008 at 02:02 PM.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i dont think opera is set up for wi-fi. can someone correct me if im wrong. i did clear my whole cache and did a battery pull. i use cnet as a guide because its a large upload incase anyone wonders why i mention the name a lot. im running a apple airport extreme linked into a fios 20/20 connection. my download speed is 20.8 mb/s upload 18.7mb per seconds. so the connection is strong. i just installed the latest os also thanks to jerrrrrry d lol... guys got everything. i still cant get anything better then 25 seconds download on this page. to fully loaded 100 % i cant get any better then 25 secs.. but browsing through pinstack im breeezin through things. power to the servers of hayden i guess lol. im lovin the phone. i really want to drain and charge a few times before i give a better review on the battery. it take 4-5 drain and charges for full performance.
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

sh6ne no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    i really want to drain and charge a few times before i give a better review on the battery. it take 4-5 drain and charges for full performance.
    yo.

I just bought an 8320, upgraded from a pearl 8100. does the battery have to be drained completely 4-5 times and then recharged to achieve full performance. can you please elaborate? thank you so much.

shane