Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone and this is my first post so bare with me please. I recently ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

WildgooseUK no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30CB058D

My First Blackberry purchase...

Advertisement

Hello everyone and this is my first post so bare with me please.

I recently brought a Vodafone UK branded Blackberry Pearl 8100 which is currently locked to Vodafone network and using an Vodafone pay as you go simcard. I am aware that you cannot use Blackberry's services on PP tariffs as this is solely based on monthly data plan users only.
    However, due to this handset being over a year old, you can request a NUC (Network Unlock Code) from Vodafone free of charge, which I did and now waiting as they do not have it on their database so they seeking to request it from Blackberry themselves.
    My plan is ( I hope :-)) that once I receive the unlock code, I'm hoping to use my monthly o2 simcard in my Pearl and use the Blackberry services on o2 network as this is possible if I add a blackberry tariff to my o2 account.

Once this is done, do I have to manually enter the o2 configurations to replace the Vodafone's own or is this done automatically and correct it's configurations to its appropriate network depending what simcard you use?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    WildgooseUK
    Last edited by WildgooseUK; 04-07-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    now dont quote me here bc i am in the states but as far as i know the pay as you go phones can not be unlocked to monthly pay service.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Congrats on the new Blackberry. And welcome to Pinstack.

Once the handset it unlocked, it will automatically work with whatever carrier's sim card in it.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    now dont quote me here bc i am in the states but as far as i know the pay as you go phones can not be unlocked to monthly pay service.
    Actually the same does apply to pay-as-you-go phones, they can be unlocked just the same as any other phone, but 99% of them will never be unlocked. A lot of the prepaid phones here in the US are the most basic models and not worth unlocking, as you get get a better handset for free on a contract. Also, I can't name a single prepaid carrier that allows unlocking. You would have to go to a 3rd party unlocker.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    even though its a pay as you go phone?

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    Actually the same does apply to pay-as-you-go phones, they can be unlocked just the same as any other phone, but 99% of them will never be unlocked. A lot of the prepaid phones here in the US are the most basic models and not worth unlocking, as you get get a better handset for free on a contract. Also, I can't name a single prepaid carrier that allows unlocking. You would have to go to a 3rd party unlocker.

oh ok, i guess thats where i was confused. so you can unlock them but its not worth the hassle due to the lack of services on the pay as you phones. thanks

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    even though its a pay as you go phone?
    Yup. And the big carriers are trying to stop it, even though US copyright office says it's ok.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    oh ok, i guess thats where i was confused. so you can unlock them but its not worth the hassle due to the lack of services on the pay as you phones. thanks
    Exactly. Technically speaking, it's possible. So even in Europe, the same applies to GSM handsets.

PIN/ID
    30CB058D
    Thanks for all your help.
    Blackberry Phones are only sold on Contracts in the UK and none are available on Prepay plans.
    I've got a monthly price plan with o2 and hoping to use that on my Blackberry Pearl once I receive the NUC. O2 does provide a blackberry tariff for 10 pounds a month to co-exist with your existing plan.
    I'm just want to know if I can use o2's blackberry services on a unlocked Vodafone Blackberry Pearl without having to manually change the service settings from Vodafone to o2.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    we all learn something new everyday, especially when your UK and I am USA

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You should be able to use it as long as the phone uses simcards! If you dont have any luck with the unlock code u can always ebay for an unlock code it cost about 13 to 15 US dollars and takes about 24 hours or less to get the code

PIN/ID
    30CB058D
    Can you unbrand any network branded Pearl 8100? Or, can I download the o2 device update to be installed on a Vodafone branded unlocked Pearl phone if I use a o2 simcard?

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Hi

When you get the o2 BIS plan activated your phone will receive all the service books for o2 settings so that should be ok.

You can also download the OS from any carrier providing you remove the vendor.xml file from the download first.

I believe that you cannot remove the flash screen though - this is what you see when you turn the phone on.

Another thing you may have to do before setting up your email is to get the pin released from the sellers account. Either contact the seller for them to do this or contact Vodafone yourself.

PIN/ID
    30CB058D
    Is it a 8 digit pin?

also, how do I remove the Vendor.xml.file?
    Last edited by WildgooseUK; 04-07-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    You can find your pin & imei code in options > status.

There is a thread somewhere on how to remove the vendor.xml file. I will have a look and post the link if I find it.

EDIT: cant find the how to but I found this post that tells you where it is. Hopefully someone else can post a link.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tall_help.html

If you are wanting an o2 OS download you can get it here:-
    http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/B...d_software.asp

Make sure you use the one for the 8100.

Here is o2's BIS website for when you set up your email. You can either do it here or on the Bb when they send you the email set up icon.

http://www.o2email.co.uk/
    Last edited by Bluebell Wood; 04-07-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast