I felt compelled to write a personal iPhone review, to see what is cracking into ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

prickleypete no está en línea Stack level 2

MUST READ: iPhone Review from a Pearl User

Advertisement

I felt compelled to write a personal iPhone review, to see what is cracking into the marketshare. To start, I am a seasoned Blackberry user from 1999, very very loyal to RIM.

My 14 year old daughter (has cell phone and iPod) was begging me for a new phone, the "iPhone". So I decided to give it a try. My current phone from t-Mobile is an unlocked 8100 with .94 OS. I am running on a corporate BES and multiple BIS email accounts.

I signed up for a new ATT iPhone account/line.

1. The phone comes pre-loaded with a new SIM, though removable, not recommended and very cumbersome to get to the SIM Tray. Activation must be done outside of the store (Apple or ATT store) and only from home or a location where you have your laptop/PC and a broadband connection active.

2. Registration can only be done from a connection to a PC running the newest version of ITunes. iTunes becomes the "Desktop Manager". Your data plan selection is done from an iTunes activation menuing system. Once the account is verified, SIM and IMEI marriage, your iTunes account status in good working order, you phone is activated and can now be used. Note, without the iTunes registration, the phone can NOT be used under any circumstances, all menuing and input to the handset is disabled until the registration is complete.

3. Synchronization of your PIM stuff (Contacts and Calendar ONLY), NO noteapd, NO tasks is configured from iTunes with an internal Outlook conduit. This worked relatively easy and my contact and calendar went to the iPhone within minutes.

Features (YOU WOULD EXPECT BUT ARE NOT AVAILABLE) !!!!

a. Copy / Cut / Paste - can not be done on the iPhone ???what??? Yes this is correct.
    b. type down search - can not be done in any application. You must scroll your contacts by wiping the screen up and down. Try this with 1000 contacts, though you can try to move your finger to one of the alphabetic characters listed on the right then scroll. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CAN NOT START TYPING TO SEARCH CONTACTS OR ANYTHING.
    c. Soft keyboard is not customizable. You get what you get. Periods and other punctuation are on the numeric portion not the alpha portion ????what???? Yes this is correct. When typing alpha characters, to put a period or comma, you must change keyboard modes.
    d. custom ringtones (NOT). Though you have an iPod with your music, you can NOT use your music as custom ringtones. You can only buy a few ringtones from iTunes, but you can not use your own MP3's or .WAVs as ringtones. iTunes recenlty upgraded their 7.4 version to fix a security bug that allowed folks to hack/rename custom sounds to the iPod ringtone format.
    e. Basically the only thing you can customize is the wallpaper.

What is GOOD!!!

a. Wi-Fi and Internet Browsing. Great browser, great zoom in/out, great navigation - very PC like
    b. Push Yahoo Email (BES like). Standard Pull POP3 on minute(s) schedules.
    c. Built in attachment readers of most types (PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT, JPEG.....)
    d. Very clear and intuitive phone usage (EXCEPT WHEN DIALING FROM CONTACTS or trying to find a contact to dial).
    e. Good camera, familiar storage and drive access.

Summary:

My Daughter has a decent phone and music player, thats about it. So far from a Blackberry in practicality, it isn't even funny. If you like to hack/tweak/customize your stuff, stay away from this device. Definitely not for a heavy email/PIM user. The corporate world will not use this for a long time or until Apple makes it "Blackberry-like".

Apple has you by the drawstrings by locking your entire phone experience into the iTunes application and interface. Without iTunes, your iPhone can not be used.

Scale of 1-10, with my Pearl being a 10. the iPhone is a 3, just my little ol' opinion.......... PPete.

--------------------------------------------------
    Added/combined from later in the thread:

By the Way more iPhone stuff:

NO Third Party applications loaded locally, none.......none available either:
    Though we BB users have struggled with a lot of availablity on the RIM platform, there are programs available for the most part. However, NONE for the iPhone: So, what is on the iPhone. iPod, Phone, YouTube(web widget), Calendar, Calculator, Notes, Clock Stuff (alarms, stopwatch, ...), Maps, Weather(Web Widget), Stocks(Web Widget) E-Mail, Web Browser, Camera, Multimedia (Photos, Videos)

This means, no local Third Party apps like: Any Security Databases (Pocket Lock, MiniSafe stuff), No Converters or Utilitiy programs, no games, no quicktext features, no spell checkers, no short cut typing, no dictionaries, nothing but the above locally. So if you are killing time on an airplane and can't access the web, you may as well sit back and put your headphones on and listen to your music. Forget the Solitare and Soduku mindless exercises.

There are a few web-based sites optomized for the iPHone Safari Browser that allow you to run various developed applications. This seems to be where the entertainment and game applications are currently at. If you check iTunes, all iPod game type of applications specify that they are not compatible with the iPhone (touch screen) devices.

NO Menu Control within an application:

If the application you are using can't be customized from the "Control Panel" equivalent, there isn't any "MENU" function within an application. Only the touch screen buttons on any application are all that are avilable.

NO Record level Security on anything. The only security is an initial console PIN lock. Once in, you can not lock down any record, access to email, or private data.

Battery life, below average. You must re-charge daily regardless of using the phone portion a lot. wi-fi eats the battery up.
    ----------------
    More Good!!!
    Size is nice, smaller than an 8700, larger than an 8100. A notch thinner than the Curve.
    The touch screen is very responsive and one of the nicest I have used on any device or type
    Decent Usage Statistics screen
    Price: Base Plan - $20 / month for Unlimited Data and 200 Text Messages. Over you basic voice plan.
    Last edited by prickleypete; 09-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: MUST READ: iPhone Review from a Pearl User

I have been relishing stories of iPhone disappointments ever since the phone came out and this just reinforces my decision to have a BlackBerry. I love the Pearl and won't give it up any time soon !

indianacowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30e66bcd

i guesaccording to the prior review concerning the contacts...... my curve is superior to the iphone... in my opinion.......

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks for the review PPete!

madetosink no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well done! What about the physical aspects such as size, weight, how well it fits in your hand, touch screen? I'm not gonna get one but I'm just curious...

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the opinion. One or two observations from someone who is an admitted Appleaholic (since '84 w/ no 12 step program needed) and one who is also waiting to leap from a Moto to a BB or an iPhone.

There are people using it in corporations and yes, there are even corporations buying it for their employees. Check the daily threads on Howard's Forum. I think it's been pretty well documented that the BB rules as an e-mail driven device and consequently, the BB (and all other devices to date) are pathetically under designed as Internet browsing phones.

Oh yeah, it's very UN PC to compare any Apple product as PC-like

MrsKL no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm glad to read this. I've been fighting an uphill battle with several folks who want my opinion on this... and quite frankly just based on stuff I've read about it I knew it wasn't going to stand up to the functionality.

I'm going to keep this handy to show to my middle-aged male co-workers when I tell them it's really only useful for a 14 year old girl that wants to appear cool.
    245869B3
    AT&T Curve Since 3/2008
    AT&T Pearl (for a year)
    Sprint 8830 (for a year)

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Great stuff, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKL
    I'm glad to read this. I've been fighting an uphill battle with several folks who want my opinion on this... and quite frankly just based on stuff I've read about it I knew it wasn't going to stand up to the functionality.

I'm going to keep this handy to show to my middle-aged male co-workers when I tell them it's really only useful for a 14 year old girl that wants to appear cool.

Hahahaha more great stuff.
    Last edited by srl7741; 09-13-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged.

My01R6 no está en línea Stack level 1

I though about gettign the new ipod touch so I can use the WiFi feature.....but I do not want a Iphone

By the Way more iPhone stuff:

Added to original POST -

Last one: To JamKam - that mentioned the iPhone being used in the corporate world, NOT in most worlds..... 99% of most major corporations on this planet (outside of Cupertino) would NOT allow iTunes to be loaded en-mass on hundreds of PC / Desktop builds. The support, network overhead, and non-business compliance with iTunes would break most companies infrastructures and support models
    Last edited by prickleypete; 09-13-2007 at 08:08 PM.

The iPod touch is worth it, but am I wrong here--is the touch the same price as the now reduced iPhone?

The iPod touch is less than the iPhone, but not by much. However, the 16gb iPod touch is the same price at the 8GB iPhone, both at $399. The iPhone caps out at 8GB for now, but a 16GB is forthcoming. The 8GB iPhone at $399 is with a 2 year ATT commitment.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

well there is hope for T-mobile customers willing to do two soldering requirements and some step by step software modification...all figured out by a "GENIUS" 17 year-old...anyone with or know someone with the ability to do console mods can easily do the soldering which is the only process that can "brick" your phone...more @ http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by prickleypete
    The iPod touch is less than the iPhone, but not by much. However, the 16gb iPod touch is the same price at the 8GB iPhone, both at $399. The iPhone caps out at 8GB for now, but a 16GB is forthcoming. The 8GB iPhone at $399 is with a 2 year ATT commitment.
    Hotchie Motchie....I am more than happy to stick with two separate devices....my Pearl and my now "Classic" 60gig iPod.