Well, I took a trip to Houston this past weekend for a golf trip. We ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

MrGolf no está en línea Stack level 2

Multi-Tasking Realization

Advertisement

Well, I took a trip to Houston this past weekend for a golf trip. We played 4 rounds of golf at Houston's best courses. There were 8 of us split up into 3 cars. Of course I brought my handy pearl, BT headset, and BT GPS receiver. I've always praised this BB Pearl since I bought it. This weekend, however, I finally realized that having too much in a phone is sometimes not the best idea.

I was the only car with GPS (Thanks to the pearl), which is ok, until one car gets lost, and has to call me for directions on the way to play a round at Redstone. Everytime my phone rings, I lose the GPS display, and it's difficult to do all this while your driving, but I finally get the GPS display back up while on the phone. The phone craps out on me at this point, and I'm forced to do a battery pull to get the thing back up. About 5 minutes for the phone to restart itself, then another minute to pull the GPS connection back up. By this point, I don't even know where I am. We all pull over. I finally said "Screw the GPS!", and switched to Google Maps for BB (which in my opinion is the single greatest mobile application of all time). I search for the golf course, and select "get directions to here". Finally enter in my current location. Bam, I have step by step directions, although without real-time GPS. That's fine, it'll work. I step throught the directions to get familiar with them. I get to the second of about 10 steps, and the phone stops everything and doesn't respond to any buttons. Yep...time for another battery pull. After that, one of my friends asked me to double check the weather radar image to see if we were getting any rain in the forecast. I said....."relax, I can only do one thing at a time". haha!

Long story short, we had to call the course for directions twice. I was unimpressed by the speed and reliablity of the BlueTooth functions on the phone. I still haven't figured out what caused this. My guess is that it was memory related, and I had run out of active memory to do everything I needed to do. I had full reception the entire time, so that wasn't the root of the problem. But it seems to me that the pearl isn't capable of utilizing 2 BT devices at the same time. There's always a 40 second delay in my voice dial on the BT headset when I'm running my GPS receiver.

I'm still glad that I have the pearl, I'm just a little disappointed in it's performance. Hopefully RIM loads the next version with more memory.

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

Re: Multi-Tasking Realization

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Great story. I can totally relate. I have to remind myself that it's a phone, not a laptop, or even a PDA. It does a lot, but they aren't multitasking work horses. The 8800 is the same story from what I've heard. Let's wait and see how the 8300 does.

baseballkyle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

something to remember in this whole thing is that IF you have 15 programs going at one time, things WILL slow down considerably, and eventually you will run into a freeze. close out of apps if you aren't going to use them anytime soon.

the occasional (once a week maybe) reset does wonders for your phone. i recommend SoftReset to avoid having to take the battery cover off.

make sure you are using the latest/greatest firmware. this can fix a lot of memory issues. i love the TMo Italy OS, but i also am running the .73 Cingular OS now because of the stability alone.....

if you can handle the variables with this device it can easily be a workhorse at multitasking.....but as does anything, it has its limits.

I have the latest firmware, and I'm pretty sure I only had GoogleMaps, BB Maps, and the phone going at once. I hadn't used anything else for several days.

furrbrain no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E4F98B

Buetooth is a pig. If I'm using the phone for non-bluetooth stuff, I shut BT off and the speed comes up remarkably.

What is SoftReset? Is it a downloadable app? I could use this!

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yep same thing here. I was on my way of 36 hour drive when I realize its not a laptop lol its not a high speed internet. I still love it thou

BB DOWNLOADS
    WWW.*****.COM

baseballkyle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Quote Originally Posted by furrbrain
    Buetooth is a pig. If I'm using the phone for non-bluetooth stuff, I shut BT off and the speed comes up remarkably.

What is SoftReset? Is it a downloadable app? I could use this!
    OTA no less!

http://www.geekandproud.net/blackber.../softreset.jad

proanim8r no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E693F2

Aside from the Pearl issues, how was the golf?

We had 35 mph winds at Redstone. The course was fantastic, but I'd like to see the pros play there in that wind. The other courses were pretty good, I played best when the weather was on my side. haha!