I thought somebody had already brought this up before, but I searched and found nothing. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

russcrypto no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Mobile Network: selection option

Advertisement

I thought somebody had already brought this up before, but I searched and found nothing. When I go to options > mobile network, I only have the option of turning data on or off. There is no option for manual or automatic selection of networks. I've never even looked for it until recently, so I don't know if it was ever there. Am I wrong in thinking that this option is supposed to be there?
    Russcrypto

Welcome to the Stacks!

New to BlackBerry or Pinstack? Please Read:

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Click here to email me.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Re: Mobile Network: selection option

Quote Originally Posted by russcrypto
    I thought somebody had already brought this up before, but I searched and found nothing. When I go to options > mobile network, I only have the option of turning data on or off. There is no option for manual or automatic selection of networks. I've never even looked for it until recently, so I don't know if it was ever there. Am I wrong in thinking that this option is supposed to be there?
    What does that option control? does it have to do with the carriers? Like if you have a t-mobile number and a AT&T number?

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    What does that option control? does it have to do with the carriers? Like if you have a t-mobile number and a AT&T number?
    Not exactly. I want to use this feature because at my lake cabin, there is absolutely no signal from AT&T. In fact the only carrier that does have any signal there (that I'm aware of) is Alltel. I want to try to connect to their network when I am there.
    Russcrypto

Welcome to the Stacks!

Click here to email me.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

it will automatically switch to a different networks if your is not available

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Well, mine doesn't. I know Alltel has a signal there because my neighbors have service with them, and they use there phones all the time. All I get is the "SOS" for my signal.
    Russcrypto

Welcome to the Stacks!

Click here to email me.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

im not sure about Alltel, but it could be a different type of network. cingy and tmo share towers...same network

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Alltel has mainly CDMA towers (they do have a few GSM roaming towers, but they may not be available to you in your area, nor may there be any Alltel GSM presence in your area as it is a very limited area that has the Alltel GSM service area, best to ask you neighbors to know for sure if they have 1X or EVDO on their phones it is definitely CDMA, I say this as some will not no which they have so you can look at the device, also pull the battery and see if they have IMEI (GSM) or ESN (CDMA) numbers on their devices another tell tale sign). Also if your phone is locked to AT&T, they take away the ability to manually select the newtworks that you connect to and only allow there preferred roaming networks (I believe the SIM cards do this to locked/unlocked phones as well as the ability is removed on the SIM itself), with the exception of emergency services (they do this to keep roaming down and thus decrease their operating costs, like we will ever see the extent of this savings).

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Go to Options, then NETWORK, not there
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr
    Also if your phone is locked to AT&T, they take away the ability to manually select the newtworks that you connect to and only allow there preferred roaming networks (I believe the SIM cards do this to locked/unlocked phones as well as the ability is removed on the SIM itself), with the exception of emergency services (they do this to keep roaming down and thus decrease their operating costs, like we will ever see the extent of this savings).
    So, unless my BB is unlocked, I can't manually select which network I use? Those sneaky S.O.B.'s . I guess I'll have to take myself a "European vacation".

I was already aware that Alltel was CDMA, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky and the tower will be GSM capable.

Thanks for the info.
    Russcrypto

Welcome to the Stacks!

Click here to email me.

Like I wrote, I don't know if just getting the device unlocked would allow the roam option to fully work anyway, as was previously stated, I am pretty sure that this function is locked down within the SIM card itself as they say they are doing this as a "cost" saving venture by only allowing one to roam on preapproved roaming partners with which agreements already exist.

sgardiner no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Is there a new OS you could download to allow you to connect to other providers towers?

I don't believe this is possible with a OS upgrade. The function is already there, but the SIM locks it down as when you try to search for other networks, the SIM connects to the system and returns an invalid system repsonse. I have heard that with some of the older SIMs that it wasn't locked out but with all of the newer SIMs the functionality ws lost. I have heard this from people who had to change over from the old legacy AT&T wireless SIMS due to plan changes and SIM failures. They said once the new SIM was activated they lost the ability to switch networks, and nothing else was changed on the device (these were normal phones and not BBs but it should hold true for all devices). Hoope this clarifies some.