I have a brand new pearl but i didn't sign up for the Data plan, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jmilien no está en línea Stack level 1

Post MMS Questions

Advertisement

I have a brand new pearl but i didn't sign up for the Data plan, I wonder if that's the reason why i don't get the "Compose MMS" option when creating messages. Someone please let me know what's up?

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

Re: MMS Questions

yeah you have to have a data plan in order to send MMS...you really should add that on to your plan...it brings a lot more out of the pearl : )

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jmilien, welcome to PinStack.

I am not sure I understand what a lot of posters say about having to have a BB Data Plan to use MMS. I don't use TMO, but I always thought that MMS was associated with SMS and used the same transport as SMS, which should not require a BB Data Plan. I understand that TMO could require an addon MMS package.

Can anyone from TMO, verify that a BB data plan is required to send and receive MMS on a BB device on the TMO network, or do you just have to have an MMS package?

jmilien, again Welcome. and to anyone that can answer my question, Thanks for your help
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    21655FFB

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    jmilien, welcome to PinStack.

I am not sure I understand what a lot of posters say about having to have a BB Data Plan to use MMS. I don't use TMO, but I always thought that MMS was associated with SMS and used the same transport as SMS, which should not require a BB Data Plan. I understand that TMO could require an addon MMS package.

Can anyone from TMO, verify that a BB data plan is required to send and receive MMS on a BB device on the TMO network, or do you just have to have an MMS package?

jmilien, again Welcome. and to anyone that can answer my question, Thanks for your help
    Rcbjr.
    you have to have a data plan because im pretty sure it uses data somehow from the bb

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As I said in my previous post, I was under the impression that it uses the same transport as SMS messages. If it uses the BB Data network, how can non network capable devices do MMS Messages?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    As I said in my previous post, I was under the impression that it uses the same transport as SMS messages. If it uses the BB Data network, how can non network capable devices do MMS Messages?

Rcbjr.
    I was under the impression that it was TMobile doing it so more people signed up for the BB plan.

PIN/ID
    21655FFB

im pretty sure thats why there are mms plans for other phoenes and thats why they put them all together sms,mms, etc. and hiked the prices up because it cost data somehow

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

With Sprint-Nextel you do not need a data plan to send sms or mms. Should be the same?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MMS is sent as "data".

In the case of a BB, without a data plan, the device cannot send anything, unfortunately including MMS.

But really, on digital devices, "data" is such a grey term; even voice calls are technically data, because they are transmitted digitally, no analog.

MMS fall into that grey area as well, because they are associated with SMS, but they act as data. If you had all data blocked on any device (BB, Moto, Nokia), MMS would not work.

With a BB, until a BlackBerry Data Plan is subscribed to, there will be no service book for MMS pushed to the BB, and hence, no menu option to compose MMS.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I have a 7520 here without a data plan and it sends and receives mms fine, I have a 7100i without a data plan and it wont do either. Both are on OS 4.1. Thats weird huh.