I doubt that this is specific to the 8100, but when I receive an email ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rwily no está en línea Stack level 1

Missing Message Text when there is an Attachment

Advertisement

I doubt that this is specific to the 8100, but when I receive an email that has an attachment (any attachment), the text of the email message does not appear in the blackberry message viewer. I can forward the offending email to a non-blackberry account (like gmail) and the text is there again.

I called t-mobile about this and was told that this RIM knows that this is a "known limitation in BIS blackberry email", and nothing can be done about it. How can that be? Seems like a bug to me - and a pretty important one. This problem only showed up for me recently - also happened for the last couple of months on my 7105t, although I never called tech support about it.

I hope that someone out there can tell me how to fix this problem.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Missing Message Text when there is an Attachment

Anybody on T-Mobile can confirm this? I'm not on T-Mo, but have never experienced this problem before.

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have the same problem with my pearl as well. Although I par a Gmail account and not BB bis email. It is really anoying going through the browser just to read the text that goes along with the attachment.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

rwily Welcome to PinStack.

I have never seen this problem either. Are the messages with the attachments using HTML format. I have heard that at time there are problems when HTML is used in the body of the text, it doesn't show up in the message. Try sending an Text only email with an attachment to you BB and see if this works.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

bchambers no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am a new Pinstack member - just found it. Looks like a place for a wealth of knowledge. Anyway, I have a BlackBerry 8700r and have experienced the same problem. Its frusterating to say the least.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bchambers, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know how we can help you.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

rwily no está en línea Stack level 1

It appears that this problem might be limited to messages sent from gmail. When messages with text/attachment(s) originate from other email accounts, no problem - both text and attachment show up fine.

But when message originates from a gmail address, there is no text, only attachment. The following appears when there should be body text and one attachment:
    "[2 attachments]
    application: multipart/mixed
    application: [description of attachment here]"

Only the actual attachment will open, the "application: multipart/mixed" will not open.

So for some reason gmail seems to be sending out the message body text with some formatting that blackberry interprets as multipart/mixed. From what I am told multipart/mixed would be something like html with imbedded text. Apparently RIM is aware of this problem, and I haven't heard of any workaround, other than to read body text with the blackberry's web browser using m.gmail.com like the other poster noted.

What a pain. Most of my mail is business communication with attachments originating from gmail. I hope that someone is working on this and gets it sorted out soon. Blackberry is supposed to do email better than this.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Quote Originally Posted by bchambers
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am a new Pinstack member - just found it. Looks like a place for a wealth of knowledge. Anyway, I have a BlackBerry 8700r and have experienced the same problem. Its frusterating to say the least.
    Welcome to pinstack.

Dlhndr no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by rwily
    It appears that this problem might be limited to messages sent from gmail. When messages with text/attachment(s) originate from other email accounts, no problem - both text and attachment show up fine.

But when message originates from a gmail address, there is no text, only attachment. The following appears when there should be body text and one attachment:
    "[2 attachments]
    application: multipart/mixed
    application: [description of attachment here]"

Only the actual attachment will open, the "application: multipart/mixed" will not open.

So for some reason gmail seems to be sending out the message body text with some formatting that blackberry interprets as multipart/mixed. From what I am told multipart/mixed would be something like html with imbedded text. Apparently RIM is aware of this problem, and I haven't heard of any workaround, other than to read body text with the blackberry's web browser using m.gmail.com like the other poster noted.

What a pain. Most of my mail is business communication with attachments originating from gmail. I hope that someone is working on this and gets it sorted out soon. Blackberry is supposed to do email better than this.
    I just wanted to revive this thread since I have seen NOTHING to indicate there has been any progress from RIM.
    It is not limited to gmail. I have Sprint BIS and use MS Outlook 2003 and it happens all the time.
    From what I've heard/seen, it occurs when someone sends you an email that has any graphics in the BODY of the email. An attachment sent along with the email in the normal fashion, ie using the attachment button, works fine. But if someone embedds a file in the body you will get the Application Multipart Mixed message. I have heard that is may be related to Outlook sending in an XML format and not HTML.
    The problem is that many people include signatures and that may include .gifs .jpegs etc.

RIM and Blackberry's are supposed to be "the" deal for business use.
    If I can't even get a simple email I may have to leave.
    I have been all over the RIM site but you get NO support unless you buy a service contract. Well I'm not going to buy a contract only for them to come back and say "sorry, blackberry's can't do that"

Any one else hear anything?

Anyone from RIM come here and answer questions?
    It would be nice to know if they are even aware of and are working on this.

Darrel