I have searched this forum and none of the solutions I have worked. I hope ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

moonpie23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

Missing BB Browser

Advertisement

I have searched this forum and none of the solutions I have worked. I hope this another solution out there that I am missing. I received a brand new pearl for my wife and one of the very first things I did after setting up the push email was load the .96 OS on her Pearl (we are with ATT).

Everything is working great but the only issue is a missing BB browser. She has the media net browser. On my pearl with the .96 I have both browsers.

I have resent the service books after the OS upgrade I have even went to the Host routing table and registered now after the upgrade. I looked in the DM and there is an internet browser option that is greyed out on her laptop. Anyone know why this is greyed out and what could have caused it?

I really don't want to wipe the handheld or reinstall the .96 version so hopefully someone knows how to get theBB browser on there.

Any help is appreciated...

camknig no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2406d2df

Re: Missing BB Browser

Sorry if this is a dumb question: is her line provisioned for Blackberry service? I know if you try to use the Pearl without having the BB service on the account it will function as a phone but the browser icon will not be there. Generally the MEdia Net browser would not be there either however. Does it say "data connection refused" at the top of the screen? That would be another sign.

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

It said Data Connection Refused but when I called to get the data plan they asked for my IMEI and it now says ATT. As I said the emails work and she can get on the media net icon but why don;t we have the other browser

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

The most likely culprit is the Desktop Manager software. Did you install it from the CD that came with your wife's phone? Unfortunately, a lot of the AT&T Pearls have been shipped with a bad Desktop Manager. The DM corrupts your phone's OS every time you sync it with your computer.

The solution is go to the Blackberry Software Downloads site on the AT&T website. Download Desktop Manager v4.2 SP2. You can download either with or without Media Manager. Without Media Manager is a much smaller download (50 MB vs. 250 MB)

Install that DM to your PC, then reinstall your phone's OS. You should be all set after that.

This is a very common problem with the AT&T Pearls, but the fix is easy. Post back here if you have trouble, we'll get you back on track.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Poobarellah no está en línea Stack level 1

I had the same problem. The file on the cd is corrupt/bad/whatever. Download the file, reinstall and it should work.

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

I guess I'm out of luck. I used 4.2 SP2 for the initial install of .96. I never used the CD and installed DM SP2 on her laptop. I have done eveyrthing I was suppose to do...I guess it can't be fixed and we just live without it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

When you do a Cold Re-Boot (battery out, wait 15 - 30 secs, battery in), do you get a timeout error? If so, re-install the handheld software. If not then call AT&T customer service, ask for blackberry data device support. Once you get them, ask them ti verify that her Blackberry Internet Browsing Service is properly provisioned.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

I think I may have found the issue but don't know how to fix it? I did not call ATT yet because this site is more helpful. The browser application is grayed out under the application loader in the DM. I also saw under advanced options an Enterprise Activation on my wife's phone. My Pearl does not have the Enterprise Activation option under Advanced options.

I think that may be why it's rejecting the Blackberry Internet Browsing Service book and why it's grayed out. My question is now why is it on there and how do I get it off the phone. When I installed DM I chose BIS and not BES????

The phone is supposedly brand new...I bought it and it came packaged with cellophane around the front and back....it looks brand new and not new or refurbished but how can I really tell????

If it is refurbed and was on an Enterprise server how do I remove that option and get the BB Browser back? I tried going to a few websites specifically mobile.blackberry and it only works with the BB Browser so I really would like to get it on the phone....

Please help and don't make me call ATT...I know I will get much better and quicker answers here...
    Thanks in advance...sorry for so many questions just wanted to get it all out there....

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

moonpie go to this thread and read through #7
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._mini_faq.html
    it should get you up and running

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

I did that Friday night. I downloaded SP2 and installed it with BIS. I then installed .96 OS (I am on ATT) and when I connected the BB it said there was a new OS would I like to install it. Took about 40 mins and after the install everything works fine except no BB Browser. Since Friday I have resent service books, Registered again under Host Routing Table and taken the battery out a few times.

I think this Enterprise Activation option may be causing it. I don't know if it was on there before the upgrade because the first thing I did was upgrade the OS....I am hoping someone can help me remove the enterprise activation since this is supposedly new.

Thanks Red...anymore advice?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

The enterprise activation shouldn't matter I have the exact same thing on mine and my browser is there. Unless AT&T does things differently.

Yea if you sent the service books and re-registered I'm at a loss...might be time to call them...sorry.

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

I'll give them a call then. I'm glad you have it on yours as an option and still have the BB Browser. Maybe I overreacted. Thanks for the help and I will call them tomorrow.

camknig no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2406d2df

You can tell if the phone's been used with BES before by going to options/securty options/general settings. If there is anything in there about an IT Policy then your BB has been BES'd and that policy is probably removing the browser.

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

Thanks camking. I got your pin message this morning. I will look at my wife's phone tonight for the IT policy. What will it show or say if there is an IT policy on there? Just curious what I'm looking for.

I guess if there is not an IT policy I need to call ATT and ask them to send the Blackberry Internet Browsing service book. I think I have done all I can to get the browser and I guess I need to call them.

If there is an IT policy how do I go about getting that removed? As I said this is suppose to be a new phone so obviously I have no idea who the administrator would be. I hope there is not an IT policy and a simple phone call will work.

Thaks for all the help...I'll let you know what happens...I'll call tonight when I get home

PIN/ID
    2402DDDB

False alarm. I guess I wasn't patient enough. I came home today and the BB Browser was on the phone. Also Enterprise Activation was removed from Applications. I guess it took 3 days to finally come through and get on the phone but it did. I know when I did mine it was instantaneous.

I should have been more patient but all is good now and thanks to everyone for their help.