Hi, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is where I should be ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

PacificDude8 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Might have figured out why Pearls go "silent"

Advertisement

Hi, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this. But I've read a lot where BB Pearls tend to go silent, and the only way to fix them is to reset or restart them.

Well I wanted to point out that if you choose to use ringtones, notifiers, alarms, etc. or any custom sound from your SD media card, and you have the USB cable connected to a PC, it locks the media card out on the blackberry, so the blackberry will be unable to play the sound files you have assigned until you disconnect the USB cable. Which is why i've been missing text messages and phone calls all day :heh:

A way around this is to use the Media Manager with the BB Desktop Software, to copy which ever few custom sound files you want to use to the device's ringtone folder instead of the media card. I actually recommend that with this experience that if you want to use a custom ringtone (such as an MP3), make sure you copy it to the device's memory because I've learned that if you do not your caller will go to voicemail before the Blackberry ever even rings lol (sad I know, but I really push my phones to the limit, and call myself using other phones and check stuff like that lol)

This may have been mentioned somewhere else, if it has - I won't be offended if a moderator decides to delete my post

- WT

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Re: Might have figured out why Pearls go "silent"

this is true but you have to watch out since adding tones to your device memory will eat up memory very fast.
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

if you want to use an mp3 as a ringtone you do not need the entire song anyway so at yyour place I would consider cutting it less than 512 kb
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by PacificDude8
    A way around this is to use the Media Manager with the BB Desktop Software, to copy which ever few custom sound files you want to use to the device's ringtone folder instead of the media card. I actually recommend that with this experience that if you want to use a custom ringtone (such as an MP3), make sure you copy it to the device's memory because I've learned that if you do not your caller will go to voicemail before the Blackberry ever even rings lol (sad I know, but I really push my phones to the limit, and call myself using other phones and check stuff like that lol)

- WT
    Excellent post. And you may be right. I was about to post an issue on "seeing" files on the BB once they are uploaded via XP Explorer[file manager] as opposed to using DM. But I will mention that later.

Yours is information others should take note of as we explore the quirks of the 8100 T-Mo OS.

Which brings to mind, which OS are you using? Important to know since there are other carrier operatiing systems that have different quirks.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Quote Originally Posted by PacificDude8
    Hi, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this. But I've read a lot where BB Pearls tend to go silent, and the only way to fix them is to reset or restart them.

This may have been mentioned somewhere else, if it has - I won't be offended if a moderator decides to delete my post

- WT
    Dont worry about threads being deleted, unless you violate forum rules, and last I checked, attempting to be helpful was well within those rules =) Thanks for your input on this and welcome to Pinstack!
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

On his workaround on putting ringtones on to the device memory, it's true one has to be careful to not fill the ringtone folder with too many ringtones as they will use up limited space.

But, this should be a reminder: you should not have loads of ringtones on the device. Once users settle on the ringtones they use, most do NOT change them all that often. So there is no need to have 30 to 40 ringtones in the folder.

What I did after deciding on my ringtones was to delete off the device all those that I was not using. I have a folder on my PC titled "Ringtones BB" where I store the 15MB or so of ringtones that I can refer to should I want to add some. I think I have about 300 or so in that folder, everything from classics to Dirty Harry's 44 magnum.

rwcohen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204CA3A1

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    I think I have about 300 or so in that folder, everything from classics to Dirty Harry's 44 magnum.
    Can you tell me where you got the Dirty Harry?