Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Call me a skeptic, but the difference between a 2GB SD Card and a 4GB ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: 4GB SD Card Support?

Advertisement

Call me a skeptic, but the difference between a 2GB SD Card and a 4GB SDHC card is hardware related. Which either means the pearl has had a SDHC reader the whole time but was software limited, or the new OS doesn't actually add this support.

I've yet to see anyone who has actually put a 4 GB card in their Pearl and had it work. Many people have ordered them, but I still haven't seen a report of it working.

Just my $0.02
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I believe with the latest 1.101 OS for the pearl, the 4gb micro SD card IS supported now. my buddy bought one, so we'll see for sure when he gets his in.

DesertBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

The hardware is the same form factor. My camera just updated Firmware (Casio Exilim) and it now supports SDHC cards, I have not tired it yet, 2 gigs is plenty for me. The Firmware tells the software how the hardware works, so it is plausible that the OS update would support 4gb.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am with mjwood0 as everything that I have read says what he is saying about hardware differences. I am waiting to hear the results that all others find when they actually get their cards (then will see if they actually fully work or are just recognized).

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Yes Definite confirmation would be the best solution seeing as I don't want to go out and buy a 4gb card and find out it really doesn't work, but if it does work that'll be really sweet to have a 4gb card in my Pearl!!!

arb982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BF92C

4 gb card is working in my pearl, with the .101 software. Put it in, formatted... no problems. Transferred all files from the 2 gb card. Seems to be working fine.
    Last edited by arb982; 07-11-2007 at 12:47 AM.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    Call me a skeptic, but the difference between a 2GB SD Card and a 4GB SDHC card is hardware related. Which either means the pearl has had a SDHC reader the whole time but was software limited, or the new OS doesn't actually add this support.

I've yet to see anyone who has actually put a 4 GB card in their Pearl and had it work. Many people have ordered them, but I still haven't seen a report of it working.

Just my $0.02
    I would have to disagree with that statement in part. If it were solely a hardware issue, then how would you explain the .64 OS maxing out at 1GB and as soon as there's an update to that (e.g. .71, .73, 1.66, etc.) OS, the Pearl is somehow capatible for up to 2GB??? How would this update (.101) be any different??

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

If it does indeed work with the 4GB card, it means that there was an SDHC reader in the Pearl the whole time but it was limited by the software.

As we have on confirmation that a 4GB card works, I'm guessing this was the case. Seems very odd that they would put SDHC hardware in the phone and not enable it fully.

For reference sake, I have a Nikon D50 digital SLR camera. That particular camera is maxed out at 2GB due to a hardware limitation according to Nikon. It doesn't have a SDHC reader.

Either way, glad to hear it works.

Afterthought: From a software perspective, 1 GB --> 2 GB --> 4GB all take an extra bit of address space. It could be that they re-used an older firmware for the basis of the Pearl firmware and it only supported the 1GB address space. Upping this to 2 GB and 4 GB required re-writing the address accesses of the firmware. This could also explain the reported faster media card accesses under the 101 firmware as the arbitration may work better.
    Last edited by mjwood0; 07-11-2007 at 07:08 AM.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by DesertBlade
    The Firmware tells the software how the hardware works
    say that 5x real fast

fjl1977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E0A975

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok, here is a legit answer for all of you. I upgraded to the new .101 OS and I am currently using a 4GB microSD card in my 8100 pearl. So, it does really support the 4gb cards. Now you can run out and buy one, if you were waiting on actual confirmation that it works.

simeezee no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C1928

Quote Originally Posted by fjl1977
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok, here is a legit answer for all of you. I upgraded to the new .101 OS and I am currently using a 4GB microSD card in my 8100 pearl. So, it does really support the 4gb cards. Now you can run out and buy one, if you were waiting on actual confirmation that it works.
    thanks, that's really good to know. can you tell us what brand of the SD card do you have and where did u buy it?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

There we go! Good, hard, facts!

Thanks!
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

DrSuha no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by fjl1977
    Thanks! I'm constantly deleting albums from my 2GB.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

well my sandisk 4gb card came in last night and i installed it this morning and the first good sign was that it reconized the total space of 3.79gb so i formatted the card and it successfully formatted the card and i connected my pearl to the pc to see how big it would show as a mass storage drive and it show as a 4gb drive. Now for the specs of my pearl its 1st gen i bought the phone the release day from tmobile and i have the latest OS on it v4.2.1.101. hope this helps

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Good to know, thanks and enjoy your extra memory.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast