I have been experiencing a weird problem with the message list shortcut keys, in particular ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Message List Shortcut Keys Not Working??

Advertisement

I have been experiencing a weird problem with the message list shortcut keys, in particular the Alt-I (or 3) shortcut to only display incoming messages. I am on my 2nd Cingular Pearl and previously had a TMobile Pearl - all eventually suffer from this problem. In addition a friend of mine (works at the same company) has gone through 5 TM Pearls and they all eventually have this problem. The weirdest part is that everything starts out working fine (see excerpt from manual below) but eventually (anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks) it stops working.

Below I am pasting text from the BB manual which shows how these shortcuts are supposed to work:

View one type of message in a message list:
    • To view received messages, press the Alt key and 3.
    • To view call logs, press the Alt key and the period (.) key.
    • To view voice mail messages, press the Alt key and 7.
    • To view SMS text messages, press the Alt key and the question mark (?) key.
    • To view all your messages again, press the Escape key
    Here's the problem:

In the message list I have the options set to show all Sent and Filed messages. I like to sometimes just see my incoming messages. For the first week or two with a new Pearl, the Alt-I (or 3) shortcut works fine. But after a week or two, this shortcut no longer works - it doesn't do anything. In addition, the Alt-P (or .) shortcut to show phone calls stops working and instead it shows Outgoing messages (Alt-O). Have also had issues where the Alt-S (or ?) to show SMS messages stops working - this one is really annoying.

So right now, I've had my current phone for a month or so and started experiencing the problem after about two weeks:
    • Alt-I (3) does nothing
    • Alt-O/P (.) shows Outgoing (not Phone Calls)
    • Alt-V (7) does nothing
    • Alt-S (?) does nothing
    • Alt-M (9) shows MMS messages (this is a new one)
    Any thoughts on what is going on here? Anyone else have this problem? BTW, I am on BES at a relatively small company with a liberal IT policy. A bunch of other people just got Pearls (mix of TMO and Cingular) and are starting to experience the same problem.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Message List Shortcut Keys Not Working??

I haven't seen this problem. Check the message app Menu Search, Menu Recall. This gives you a list of all the search filters and the ALT Short Cut Keys associatiated with them. See if the listing for "incoming" still has (i) behind it.

If not, Open it for editing. Open the Menu and Select Save, Highlight the None on the Short cut field and Press ALT Choose a key from the list and Save the settings and the editing.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Wow. That is really helpful. Followed your instructions and sure enough, the only shortcuts which were enabled are MMS (m) and Outgoing (o). The others had nothing in (). I was able to go in and edit.

Thanks so much. My friend will greatly appreciate it as well. He literally returned 5 BBs b/c this feature wouldn't work and he used it all the time.

No idea why it works fine at first and then reverts to the weird behavior but at least you identified a fix.

Thanks again.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Glad we could help. That's what we are here for.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Icebreaker no está en línea Stack level 1

As I have the same problem I would like to know where to find the "message app Menu Search, Menu Recall" you mention. Can't seem to find it in the 8100, the BES server or the desktop manager.

Regards
    Icebreaker