Since upgrading to 4.0.55 I have noticed a decrease in the available memory, and it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sjb4 no está en línea Stack level 3

Memory loss with 4.5 OS

Advertisement

Since upgrading to 4.0.55 I have noticed a decrease in the available memory, and it gets worse over the course of the day.

With 4.2, I had about 24 K available, after the upgrade, it was down to about 17 k. The only program I added was docs 2 go. Everything else was already installed with my previous OS. I have no music or videos on my phone, nor do I have any emails saved.

To attempt to free up some memory, I deleted PTT, VAD, colorpearl (before upgrading), and a bunch of pics. After a battery pull I now had less free memory - about 13k. Makes no sense to me. And with use over the day, it goes down to 9k.

Today after a battery pull and clearing the event log I am at 15K. but I still don't know why I lost memory after deleting a number of items. At worst, it should have stayed at the same amount, right?

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Browser cache?
    It is a beta, so that's probably why.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by kingrykku27 View Post
    Browser cache?
    It is a beta, so that's probably why.

I downloaded the official release from Orange (I think), so not a beta.

Edit: dl'ed from Mobilkom Austria, not Orange
    Last edited by sjb4; 07-29-2008 at 12:02 PM.

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    What I have noticed with mine is that some of the applications I didn't close correctly.
    You have to make sure that they are not running in the background. Check your media options for "Reserved Pictures Memory"; I changed mine to 0mb. Also, you want to un-check all the "Event logs", so it does not use memory. Also , go to options> Security Options> Memory Cleaning> Enable this and do a Memory Clean! After this reboot your BB and see how much memory you gained back...

Try all these and let us know the results are.....
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

Quote Originally Posted by stnkyq2 View Post
    What I have noticed with mine is that some of the applications I didn't close correctly.
    You have to make sure that they are not running in the background. Check your media options for "Reserved Pictures Memory"; I changed mine to 0mb. Also, you want to un-check all the "Event logs", so it does not use memory. Also , go to options> Security Options> Memory Cleaning> Enable this and do a Memory Clean! After this reboot your BB and see how much memory you gained back...

Try all these and let us know the results are.....
    That seems to have done the trick! I am up to 18.7K now. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if it stays there.

Will having the "reserved pictures memory" set to 0k prevent me from saving any new pictures on the phone?

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb4 View Post
    That seems to have done the trick! I am up to 18.7K now. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if it stays there.

Will having the "reserved pictures memory" set to 0k prevent me from saving any new pictures on the phone?
    It will not prevent you from saving pictures/ new pictures to your SD card if you have one...
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

Quote Originally Posted by stnkyq2 View Post
    It will not prevent you from saving pictures/ new pictures to your SD card if you have one...
    I don't have an SD card, and I don't see the need for one when I only take pictures and don't store very many of them on the phone for long. I don't plan to add music or videos or any other type of media, so I think an SD card would be a waste of money.

Right now, aside from ringtones, the only things in my media section are 21 pics. That is about half the # I had with the old OS. I may move the reserved picture memory back to 2 MB and see how things progress from there.

Well, since my post about being up to 18.7K about 2 hours ago, I haven't used the phone at all and now I check the status and its down to 16.2K. Something is not right here.

Any suggestions as to a remedy?

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Clear event logs?

ErnieH no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20817CCE
    I think everyone sees a substantial drop in available memory under 4.5. Your experience is typical - including the memory leak. You'll just have to keep your choice of apps as slim as possible and get used to more frequent battery pulls.

There are also lots of threads on optimizing memory. You should be able to recover several MB if you delete things like the demo video, unused languages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieH View Post
    I think everyone sees a substantial drop in available memory under 4.5. Your experience is typical - including the memory leak. You'll just have to keep your choice of apps as slim as possible and get used to more frequent battery pulls.

There are also lots of threads on optimizing memory. You should be able to recover several MB if you delete things like the demo video, unused languages etc.
    Yeah, thats what I have read, was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. The memory leak hasn't really caused any noticeable slow downs of apps or anything, so I am not worried too much right now. I always install English only and keep all the other languages off, and this OS didn't have any sample videos or pics to delete, which was cool. I have removed some little-used or non-compatible apps, themes and pictures to free up space.

And since yesterday, I have been holding steady at 16.7 Mb free, so perhaps it has stabilized for now.