First off I've deleted much of the useless stuff like the free video, languages, etc. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

Memory "Leak"?

Advertisement

First off I've deleted much of the useless stuff like the free video, languages, etc. I deleted all the logs (ALT lglg) and messages. Last night I showed 16mb File Free. So I did a battery pull and it shows 30mb. OK fine. Then 5 minutes later it's at 28.8, just sitting there. I play part of one song. Down to 25.8. No calls, messages, apps, nothing. So what's the deal with this? I noticed that when it comes new there's about 15mb free before you remove the junk. I should add that I have maybe 4 additional apps installed (bb411, GoolgleMaps, Mini Opera, nothing major). Any ideas as to the cause of this memory leak?
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

Roswell108 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Depending on what is running the memory will increase and decrease usually. It should come back after your reset the phone. Unless you absolutely need the free space I wouldn't worry about minor changes.

How do I tell whether any apps are running in the background? Like I said I try and close apps from the menu. I know, it probably doesn't matter, but now I'm curious how the thing works.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    hold dowm the alt button and then press the back button that gives you a list of apps running
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    hold down alt and press the back button. make sure you keep alt held down. this will allow you to see what apps are running. remember that home screen, browser, bb messenger, phone and messages will be there regardless.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    forgot to mention keep holding alt to scroll across the list sorry
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Thanks. I guess some don't close like I thought. But stuff like bb411 and Maps take very little memory, they basically run off the browser. What's up with the big log you get with alt lglg?

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Also it depends on what language the program was written in. C++ seems to have memory leaks where if the program was written in java it won't leak as much.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    What's up with the big log you get with alt lglg?
    That log us useful in trouble shooting problems, if you can access it and if you know what it means. As it uses an ALT code to access it, it was probably designed for the RIM Techs to use, and not for users. If you BB is working, deleting it periodically will be no problem.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

portal no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2052E55D
    You can also turn off the log.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    i don't think you can turn it off. You can only hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by portal
    You can also turn off the log.

lightsoutlon no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell108
    Depending on what is running the memory will increase and decrease usually. It should come back after your reset the phone. Unless you absolutely need the free space I wouldn't worry about minor changes.
    I agree. Not worth the potential hassles.

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5
    After a hard reset, my Pearl has about 43 MB free. After 3 days, it was down to about 38 MB.

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3
    The only time I ever had alot a lot of my memory vanish was when I was new to the Pearl , I think I even posted here looking for help, and thought I was exiting programs but really they were still running in the background.

Also if you someone doesnt have a MicroSD storage card, 3-4 pics or 1-2 MP3's can quickly eat up 1 meg easily. Just one MP3 I found last night was about a meg in size.

Remember you only have 64/65 megs total and about half of that is for the system if you didnt delete a lot of unneeded language files and stuff to free up extra space like some do.

Now that I use the on/off timer nightly it seems to clear everything away and when I wake up I start fresh.

I also do a full reset by pulling the battery if I load and delete a lot of programs. Sometimes I get bored and add everything I can find just to try them, then I delete 99% of them.