Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How does Password Protection work? Do I need to eneter my password everytime I use ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: memory cleaning for pearl

Advertisement

How does Password Protection work? Do I need to eneter my password everytime I use the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Yes, the memory cleaner is only available with content protection on (Password Protection on).

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

Wow great find!

As to it wiping the address bok mine has a Yes/No option titled "Include Address Book" if you have it on No it does not appear to clean out your address book (haven't tried it with Yes but I'm assuming it wipes it then).

As to having to put your password in each time you'll notice an option called "Security Timeout". It has multiple values you can set it to up to 1 hour. After that timeout occurs by performing no actions with the phone you WILL have to input your password next time you go to use your phone.

Simple solution is if you just want to wipe your memory, turn "Content Protection" On, put a simple password in, wipe memory then turn "Content Protection" Off. Although at the top there is an option callled "Password" that can be set to Enabled/Disabled that might make it so there is no "Security Timeout" if you have it to Disabled - haven't tested that yet.

Bill

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

This is in OS64 too. I turned it off a couple weeks back to help speed up my Pearl as any type of encryption only slows things down.

It does not fix the memory leaking and the best fix is still to pull the battery once a week.

Also by turning Content Protection on it messes up the names for your CID in some instances. Just read the help and thats probably why not many turn this on and if someone has CID problems they are told to turn it off.

wayne_d no está en línea Stack level 1

When looking to see how memory is being used under Status, there is the File Free and File Total. The latter is ~64K and the former is 0. I assume File Total = free memory. True? What is File Free, used memory?

kenau_reveas no está en línea Stack level 2

Nice work man..its working for me now...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

wayne_d

File Total = total memory available on the device. Free = the amount that is still available for use FREE = 0 means you need to do a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in), then do something to reduce the memory being used.

Used Memory will be File Total - File Free.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I wish this would clean the cache too

wayne_d no está en línea Stack level 1

rcbjr, tx. i figured free=0 was an issue. The device is only a day old and was only used for a few hours before this happed (the only mod made was I loaded Yahoo Go V2). After a a cold start, it is now registering 13M available. This still seems really low (this ain't Windows Mobile ;-)... a few follow up questions

1. Where can I find what is using memory and how do I identify what I can nuke and then how do I nuke these things? I did find the database size, and its only 650K. I assume there is application (and config file) space being used and then data space, how do I figure this stuff out?

2. Where are items like under Status:free file and under SMS: number of previous items get defined? I looked in the user manual and that is not so good.

Btw, you folks do a great job here. RIM should be giving you folks free stuff as you are Customer Service IMHO.

W.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One of the things you can do is to delete any unwanted Language Support Apps, either using the Apps Loader in Desktop Manager or directly from Options/Advanced Options/Applications. As to the Number of Previous Item, that is in Options/SMS Text.

From the Options/Status, clicking the menu button will give an option to View the Databases.

You might want to browse through some of the links on the BB FAQ and Guides for more tips and suggestions.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

johu65 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24470e33
    wipe handhelp will erase my address book but it will still be on my sim card and easy to load back right?
    PIN: 24470E33

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Yes, the memory cleaner is only available with content protection on (Password Protection on).

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

thats not correct. i use memory cleaner on my 8130 and i have content protection disabled. i think what your trying to say is you cant disbale memory cleaner *when* content protection *is* enabled. :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12