on my 8100 under options>security>memory cleaning what is this and should I be worried?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jrob6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

memory cleaning

Advertisement

on my 8100 under options>security>memory cleaning what is this and should I be worried?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob6 View Post
    on my 8100 under options>security>memory cleaning what is this and should I be worried?
    No, this is actually a cool new feature, especially for our current devices where we're always looking for ways to free up some memory. Doesn't seem to make too much of a difference with regard to file space, but it's still a nice little utility to run regularly, along with clearing out old e-mails, event and call logs, browser cache, etc.

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

that sux..i cant find that on my 8100

Quote Originally Posted by Ekzt1nr View Post
    that sux..i cant find that on my 8100
    Have you upgraded to 4.5?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ...and if you check the "show icon on home screen" you get an icon that you can execute from time to time to clean the memory. Be aware that on some 4.5 versions, if you reboot, it will reset memory cleaning back to "disabled" every time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

bluefairy1971 no está en línea Stack level 3
    It does free up space on my Curve, i use it every night when i recharge.
    "If You Don't Like Me Just Remember It's Mind Over Matter..I Don't Mind and You Dont Matter"

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    ...and if you check the "show icon on home screen" you get an icon that you can execute from time to time to clean the memory. Be aware that on some 4.5 versions, if you reboot, it will reset memory cleaning back to "disabled" every time.
    Yes, it does that on my device.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    I just did that.. Let's see if my phone runs smoother. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    If you're running a 4.2 OS (8100) you have to do a few steps first before you can access this feature, but it is there!

options --> security --> general settings --> content protection "enabled" ......when you do this it will tell you that your device will be password protected also, click "yes" --> back button --> click "save" and set your pw --> back all the way out of options then go back into it and in to security, you should then see "memory cleaner" --> click it and turn on the home screen icon --> go to home screen and click on the new icon.

to turn it back off (bc your phone will be pw protected and you'll have to type it in for everything you do, gets annoying) go back to options --> security --> general options --> password protection "disabled" and click "yes" to turn off content protection, save and you're done.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Yes, it does that on my device.
    GaryF originally told me about the memory cleaner reset with every reboot - the funny thing is that now, with the same OS, (but obviously some change I've made) I just noticed mine doesn't do that any more!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

cbeslash no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    26936cc9
    Mudshovel thanks for the clear and accurate instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel View Post
    If you're running a 4.2 OS (8100) you have to do a few steps first before you can access this feature, but it is there!

options --> security --> general settings --> content protection "enabled" ......when you do this it will tell you that your device will be password protected also, click "yes" --> back button --> click "save" and set your pw --> back all the way out of options then go back into it and in to security, you should then see "memory cleaner" --> click it and turn on the home screen icon --> go to home screen and click on the new icon.

to turn it back off (bc your phone will be pw protected and you'll have to type it in for everything you do, gets annoying) go back to options --> security --> general options --> password protection "disabled" and click "yes" to turn off content protection, save and you're done.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder, mud. I had forgotten this because of the password protection be so annoying, as you said!

kristenbooth no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel View Post

Thanks you so much.. my phone deletes text messages and calls before I even see them!!! I did what you said, so will this get rid of the problem?

Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    That's very neat! Make that BAD A$$!!! I love this forum and u guys rock!

~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Ok got a small issue tho. I don't have the 'Clean upon holstering' option enabled.
    But if I'm in the browser and need to set my phone down (which 4 me means putting it into the holster for a moment) it asks 4 a pw when I take it out. This is fine. However when I type in my pw I am not taken to the browser page where I left off. It starts loading the browser from scratch with my homepage.
    This sucks because I just had to retype this entire post lol. Anyone have ideas?? Maybe there's an exception I need to set.

My options right now are to set the phone NOT to lock upon holstering, or, set the browser to load the last page visited upon startup. The former can be risky as I could have a long conversation with nobody in China because keys are getting pressed. (lost my magnetic-clasp beltclip case so temp solution is the little pouch that came in the box)
    The latter option would still cause me to lose stuff that I'm working on, like a long post or email etc.

I did a test with notepad and contacts tho. When I unholster and enter the pw it takes me right back to where I left off even if I was in the middle of editing info.
    Thanks all!

~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~