I got my 1 gig micro transflash memory card last week and its installed... I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

stormyone no está en línea Stack level 2

memory allocation

Advertisement

I got my 1 gig micro transflash memory card last week and its installed... I have downloaded a few programs onto the Pearl... my question is this, does the device automatically allocate memory or will I have to manually load programs onto the memory card so I don't overload the basic phone memory?

Thanks for the help....

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: memory allocation

programs can't be loaded onto the memory card. programs still reside on the device memory.

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    programs can't be loaded onto the memory card. programs still reside on the device memory.
    interesting... so other than songs, videos, and pics... everything else stays on the main memory....

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

You can transfer files onto the media card in "Mass Storage Mode" if you want to use it like a USB flash drive. But yes the Pearl only uses the songs, videos, and pics on the card. At this point in time, anyways. Maybe with future software upgrades, additional functionality will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    You can transfer files onto the media card in "Mass Storage Mode" if you want to use it like a USB flash drive. But yes the Pearl only uses the songs, videos, and pics on the card. At this point in time, anyways. Maybe with future software upgrades, additional functionality will be available.
    thanks that helps quite a bit.....

Zorn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D7152

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

By default the amount of memory is fine if you don't need to load songs/pics onto the device so with those things going on the card you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

By default the amount of memory is fine if you don't need to load songs/pics onto the device so with those things going on the card you should be fine
    I have made it a point to put songs and pics on the card.... haven't tackled the video clips yet.... still not sure how to do that, but I will learn....

jagjitg no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20500AC1

Today i went to http://www.google.co.uk/glm this is the site that downloads Google Maps onto the Blackberry 8100 Pearl, however, when i try and download, the device says insufficient memory. I have all my songs & pictures going to media card.
    Any ideas how i can point the downloads to Media card also ?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jagjitg, Welcome to PinStack.

First, Downloads like GLM are apps and as such won't work if placed on the Media Card. Try doing a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in) before trying to install GLM. You can also change the reserved memory for the Device Memory by doing the following.
    1. Open the Media App
    2. Open either Ringtones or Pictures
    3. Open the Menu
    4. Select Options
    5. Changes the setting for the Device Memory Limit and the Pictures Reserved Memory to lower settings.
    6. From the Menu, Select Save

After another cold reboot you should have more memory freed up.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr