Hello, I am new to Pinstack and I just bought my 8100 Pearl yesterday. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dwearnest no está en línea Stack level 1

Media Player: Loading MP3 through Device Manager

Advertisement

Hello, I am new to Pinstack and I just bought my 8100 Pearl yesterday. I was hoping if someone on here could help me out with loading mp3 onto my Pearl. I tried to just go to my documents/mymusic/... then any song like DaveMatthewsBand.Crash for example to load it, but then I was told by the device manager that song exceeds the limit for loading mp3, looks like it cant be over 2kb or something.

1) Is there a way to lift the limit so I can put the whole song?

2) If not, how do I make the file smaller so I can load a bunch of mp3 to listen to them instead of using my iPod?

3) Also, I do not yet have a SD card, can you only use a 1 gb card, I have heard that 2gb cards will not work? True

Thanks a lot for anyones help,

Dave

jonnyedge no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204dc23d
    right now the pearl doesn't support 2gb, but rumor has it that there is a version of software coming out that will support the 2gb but thats completely hearsay. but a 1gb will work out just fine. you would need a memory card to load music on to the pearl using your device manager. the device manager is there to add smaller files such as ringtones or pictures, etc. if you want to compress your music to put it on your device through the device manager you might want to try to convert it to a .3gp file. that compress files to be so small. i know its a video file but i know on the motorola phones it works, and it might work on the blackberry's as well. but beware converting to a .3gp file does sacrifice the quality of the sound of your music.
    Jonny Edge
    PIN 204DC23D

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Welcome to Pinstack! Currently there are other carriers OS available that DO support 2GB cards, such as the O2 operating system which can be loaded onto your Pearl. Keep in mind, Pinstack isnt responsible if things get messed up while trying this, but we'll be more than happy to try to help you fix it if you do!There are some threads here that explain how to do this. Lemme see if I can dig them up.
    Again welcome!
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MP3 files on the internal system memory are limited to ~400 KB.

You will require a microSD card to put anything larger on the Pearl.

And, stick with the 1 GB and your carrier's default OS. You will likely void their support if you alter the software on the Pearl.

Thanks a lot guys, looks like I will have to go out tomorrow and by a miniSD card to put my iTunes songs on my phone.

Also, just to make sure, you are saying that when I buy this miniSD card, will that raise the limit of the file size that I want to load onto the phone? Because I know I need more room, and I have it right now, it just says that it is limiting it to a certian size, I blieve 200kb or something right now, so when I install the miniSD card, will it raise that limit to like 600kb?

Thanks again

Rob O no está en línea Stack level 1
    No limitations on files size when loading to MicroSD card, except for the size of the card. I just loaded 982MB of music to a mSD card, with tracks ranging from 3MB to 15MB in size ... no issues whatsoever.

Awesome, thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by dwearnest
    Thanks a lot guys, looks like I will have to go out tomorrow and by a miniSD card to put my iTunes songs on my phone.

Also, just to make sure, you are saying that when I buy this miniSD card,
    Be sure you buy a MicroSD card, not a MiniSD card or you'll be disappointed when it doesn't fit.

NinjanickC no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B2903
    For some reason I can't load mp3 through device manager because I can't find where to tell it where the microSD card is, so I just use my pearl as an external memory device and drag and drop my music,
    All though I have to change the name of the file to some thing under 13 characters including the file extension. ~via BBu think I just have to keep it from turning it self in to the external devise, I know where the setting is. I LOVE MY PEARL!
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjanickC
    All though I have to change the name of the file to some thing under 13 characters including the file extension.
    Why do you ahve to change it to something under 13 characters?

For example, one of my songs (which I loaded onto the memory card like you did...going through explorer rather than DM) is Alicia keys - You dont know my name.mp3 which is 35 characters including spaces, plus the 3 character extension.

Or are you not using extended file name support in Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    Why do you ahve to change it to something under 13 characters?
    2nd! I have a number of tracks with titles over 30 characters, such as this one (randomly grabbed from what I could see in the DM at the time of posting): Foo Fighters - Times Like These (Acoustic) ... 40+ characters, including spaces.