Anyone ever seen the above error message when trying to browse the internet?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bfournier no está en línea Stack level 2

MDS Service Unavailable: ula

Advertisement

Anyone ever seen the above error message when trying to browse the internet?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Re: MDS Service Unavailable: ula

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Are you on a corporate BlackBerry device with BES?

If so, that means your company's MDS is not available. MDS is the server which allows you access to the internet/intranet through the browser.

Yes I am a corporate user. I converted from the BB 7290 which was also for corporate use. The Pearl is receiving my corporate emails just fine though...so I know it is working on the BB corp server.

additionally, I can get into My mMode and surf around. Not sure if this is different from going through the BB Browser or not...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I believe that the MDS is a separate service than the Push email and may not be available just because the email is working. I may be wrong, but that is my impression. I hope Someone will correct me if I am though.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

RC, you are correct.

B-Fournier, mMode is WAP, is it not? (I believe it is.) WAP browsing is completely separate from the Internet browser and the MDS browser.

I have noticed with the Pearl that the Internet and MDS browsers have been mind-melded together and neither work as good now! From what I read, the new 4.2 browser was supposed to be smart, but it's actually quite dumb.

Anyway, first, check your browser settings: Homescreen --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Browser, on this screen, ensure that your default browsers are selected, typically in this order: Internet, BlackBerry, WAP.

However, your BES may have restrictive policies on your Pearl.

And, just because something worked on your last BlackBerry means little now, there is so much difference between OS 4.1 and 4.2, I wouldn't assume that anything would be the same!

If that is what your settings are, then switch them and test it out.

If you're not attempting to access intranet, and you can't get it to work, I'm guessing that your default browser is set to BlackBerry, which is the MDS browser.

So, the MDS server may have been down, or it may be locked to only permit intranet browsing and not internet browsing. There are a few possibilities at work here.

Also check the Options on the browser itself. It may have an unwise setting which is limiting you. Just click into Options through the Menu key, then go through those three screens of options to make sure all is good there (make the default browser the Internet browser).

That's a start, if you still have troubles, then let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis

RC, you are correct.

B-Fournier, mMode is WAP, is it not? (I believe it is.) WAP browsing is completely separate from the Internet browser and the MDS browser.

I have noticed with the Pearl that the Internet and MDS browsers have been mind-melded together and neither work as good now! From what I read, the new 4.2 browser was supposed to be smart, but it's actually quite dumb.

Anyway, first, check your browser settings: Homescreen --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Browser, on this screen, ensure that your default browsers are selected, typically in this order: Internet, BlackBerry, WAP.

However, your BES may have restrictive policies on your Pearl.

And, just because something worked on your last BlackBerry means little now, there is so much difference between OS 4.1 and 4.2, I wouldn't assume that anything would be the same!

If that is what your settings are, then switch them and test it out.

If you're not attempting to access intranet, and you can't get it to work, I'm guessing that your default browser is set to BlackBerry, which is the MDS browser.

So, the MDS server may have been down, or it may be locked to only permit intranet browsing and not internet browsing. There are a few possibilities at work here.

Also check the Options on the browser itself. It may have an unwise setting which is limiting you. Just click into Options through the Menu key, then go through those three screens of options to make sure all is good there (make the default browser the Internet browser).

That's a start, if you still have troubles, then let us know.
    My setting are:
    Default Browser: BB Browser
    Default MDS Browser: BB Browser
    Default WAP Browser: mMode

I do not have an "internet browser" option in the drop down for the "default browser" setting.

Can I download Opera even though I can not access the internet? Is there a way I can download it through accessing it on my laptop and then snyc?

I will review my internet options and report back.....

I loaded the Opera Mini Browser. It also does not work. When trying to get to the internet an error reading "Error.An Error occurred."
    Last edited by bfournier; 11-03-2006 at 10:37 AM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Again, Contact your BB Admin to understand what limits they have imposed using IT Policies on your Corporate BES.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

B Fournier:

Do you have your BlackBerry registered and setup with an account on your carrier's BIS?

I suspect that you do not. You won't have an Internet browser without BIS. You will only have the MDS browser.

And as such it sounds like your BES admin has restricted internet access through the MDS. If this is the case, there is no way around this. Remember: it's the company's BlackBerry, not your own.