Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stackers, I've been browsing SEVERAL Palm Treo forums lately all because of threads like http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._bb_pearl.html ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Mass exodus – Treo users flee to new Pearl!

Advertisement

Stackers,

I've been browsing SEVERAL Palm Treo forums lately all because of threads like http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._bb_pearl.html and http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...appointed.html. It hasn't been totally shocking that a search for Blackberry Pearl on most Treo forums shows users switching or considering the switch to the BlackBerry Pearl.

I've notice the term "brick" being given to the Treo in comparison to Pearl as many users are finally grasping that owning a phone packed with EVERY feature that’s seldom used and sized like a brick makes little sense when you can purchase the BlackBerry Pearl, packed with just what you need daily - all at above par performance and stability - at half the size!

The only valid downside (there could be more), I found Treo users aren’t impressed with the "Task" application on Blackberry - neither am I. However, I think the BlackBerry "Calendar" application can be used for ALL task needs; at least in my case. Other Treo users rant... "No touch screen = No chance of them switching to BlackBerry" however Treo users defend the Pearl’s by saying that "the navigation and OS are so well put together than there's no need for the touch screen feature as it’s just one more feature that adds to the brick's size". Really though, it makes no sense for a touch screen on such a compact candy bar style smart phone in my opinion".

Here's long time Treo user oalvarez review of the Pearl after switching:
    "Just purchased my first ever T-Mobile product, the Blackberry Pearl. Observations so far:

-The T-Mobile in-store experience was the most pleasant of any cell provider store ever visited. The staff handle both sales and tech related questions, there are no "sign-in" ques or stations. I was out of there in less than 10 minutes.

-The Pearl has an amazing form factor, i like it better than the Q (i own that too, along with a 700w) as it is easier to hold in hand and less big in pocket (it's only 2in wide) and it weighs only 3oz. the black/chrome is a nice touch as well but it does smudge up.

-coverage in my area appears better than that of Sprint's. i live a short hop outside of downtown los angeles.

-browsing/downloading speeds is not as fast as EVDO on VZ. the websites are robust (pictures and the like) but take a little bit more time to download completely. the nice thing is that you don't have to adjust for desktop/column/etc.....if you LOVE TO BROWSE this device isn't for you. it does display pics and does a good job of organizing content on the web page.

-op system/functionality/keyboard: i'm a past Blackberry user so it works for me out of the box. the op system isn't anywhere as "neat" and "orderly" as windows, but at the same time, it's actually more simple if that makes any sense. as for the keyboard? it is a very small device, so larger fingers won't like it. ordinary in e-mail typing is a breeze but it becomes more difficult when having to type in an unknown web address (only my first day using the smartkey keyboard system). my spouse can navigate thru it as fast as i can on my treo given that she uses a blackberry 7100 at the moment (co. issue). i'm not much of a 3rd party app guy so i don't miss the flexibility just yet. if you like simplicity then you will like this device.

-GSM: that speaks for itself, especially for the business traveler

-the ringers are darn cool...right out of the box

OK: i don't miss the form-factor of the Moto-Q one bit, this one is much preferred. starting to come down to the operating system for what I NEED the device to do (handle a grazillion emails, allow phone/data anywhere, and internet....office docs? only a laptop/desktop could handle those). love the smallness in pocket and the simplicity of the device, that is what i like so far. i keep asking myself: why would i want to carry a treo ever again? all i need is email/phone/contacts/internet/camera and to view docs....so far so great

-Trackball: ingenious, i love it....especially at night when it's lit up, adds to the coolness factor.

-customer service over the phone: on par if not better than verizon...t-mobile stands for service

-SMS: THREADED SMS and that seems to be important to many of you out there

-pdf's, word docs, sheets can be viewed

-SCREEN BRIGHTNESS: is brighter than my 700w or WX and on par with the Q

-BATTERY LIFE: incredible....had it receiving EVERY bloomberg/email message (on the treo i would have only certain emails delivered/forwarded because of poor battery life) and it had 4 out of 5 battery bars left (4am-5pm)....UNBELIEVABLE! if i had the treo receiving every transmission the battery would have not lasted beyond late morning-noon (4am start)."

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Mass exodus – Treo users flee to new Pearl!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I love the review. I agree with the tasks function, but I use the calendar now, it shows up on the today plus main screen!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

One comment (while reading over on that site) is "one thing that will keep me from blackberry is no touch screen".

If I am not mistaken, touch screen devices, you actually touch the screen right?

Before you make some comment like "DUH", this is what I mean.

Obviously on Blackberry, the screen itself isn't exposed where it can be touched.

But on the Q and touchscreen devices, you are actually touching the screen itself right?

So if the screen get scratched, then you are scratching the actual part of the screen itself, where as with a Blackberry, if you decide you want to take a nail to the "screen" and write all over it, all you need to do is simply switch casings correct?

Also would think this would help a little bit in actually helping protect the screen, seeing that there is a buffer zone between the screen itself and the housing.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Very nice review. Nothing revealing from what has been said before, but it confirms what most people like or love about the Pearl.

I know someone who bought a Treo about three months ago. She put her hands on my Pearl then looked depressed as she then picked up her Treo [which before the Pearl was pretty darn cool].

And I think that glowing trackball sucks people in. Hypnotizes them into running to a T-Mo store or going on line to buy one.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

So if the screen get scratched, then you are scratching the actual part of the screen itself, where as with a Blackberry, if you decide you want to take a nail to the "screen" and write all over it, all you need to do is simply switch casings correct?
    Yup good point N8. I just swapped my 8700g front case today (you really have to pry that thing open don't you! wow ). The screen was untouched but I cracked the clear cover through and through :S

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I had to replace the casing on my 7105t, the screen was unharmed!

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

The Pearl brought my Dad back to the BB world from the Treo crashfest!
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    if you decide you want to take a nail to the "screen" and write all over it, all you need to do is simply switch casings correct?.
    Well, N8...I guess we all know what you wanna do to YOUR BB when you get mad...keep the nails away from him!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    Well, N8...I guess we all know what you wanna do to YOUR BB when you get mad...keep the nails away from him!
    I abuse my BB like it's Tina and I'm Ike.

One comment (while reading over on that site) is "one thing that will keep me from blackberry is no touch screen".

If I am not mistaken, touch screen devices, you actually touch the screen right?

Before you make some comment like "DUH", this is what I mean.

Obviously on Blackberry, the screen itself isn't exposed where it can be touched.

But on the Q and touchscreen devices, you are actually touching the screen itself right?

Also would think this would help a little bit in actually helping protect the screen, seeing that there is a buffer zone between the screen itself and the housing.
    Touchscreens on cell phone/PDAs is a dead technology.

Touchscreens even failed to capture the attention of notebook and PC users. [recall notebook "tablet" pcs that did not sell well, notwithstanding Gates' efforts].

I predict that the Pearl's use of a lighted trackball will become the technology of choice for PDA and cell phone manufacturers. [touchscreens and joysticks will fade away].

Of course, PDA sized cell phones [Treo, Ipaq, and other "bricks"] and dedicated PDAs are history. I read that PDA manufacturer's sales are tanking as everyone migrates to PDA use on small cell phones [like the Pearl].

My own experience confirms this. I have a nice, like new Dell Axim X50V PDA. Sweet item, but since I got a 7100t 18 months ago the Dell has sat next to a computer monitor, unused.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-12-2006 at 05:18 PM.

I abuse my BB like it's Tina and I'm Ike.

chadgrice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f5bcde

i wish we had the pearl in canada. so i could pry my girlfriend away from her Treo.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

pearl all the way

LaZyBoYx15 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30481A4C

The pearl is by far the best phone I've ever had. But maybe you should go check it out in person cause everyone has different opinions on what they want and need.
    Love my first BlackBerry (Pearl)!
    PiN 204B103B

JiveRobot no está en línea Stack level 2

I just got my pearl today.. will charge it overnight to see how it goes.

I am a Treo 650 user so I'd have to say most of the points are valid regarding the phone itself. Touch screen is nice though and you can get a protector for it no problemo.

As far as T-Mobile customer service... a big 3 day fiasco and headache.. lazy CSR reps... etc etc.. I do not like T Mo customer service at all. Not one bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast