Hey guys, I've had a Pearl 8130 for 4 months now, and have started running ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

BrianHeinemann no está en línea Stack level 1

Major problem with my Pearl

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I've had a Pearl 8130 for 4 months now, and have started running into some major problems lately.

About a month ago, my camera stopped being able to zoom and I started experiencing new calls and new messages that would disappear before I could see them. I cleared the memory and did a battery pull, and things seemed okay.

Today, then, I'm getting ready to leave the house and I go to send a text message... Half the keys don't work, the caps randomly turns on and off, and pressing certain buttons gives me different letters (pressing the "E/R" button always gave me a "qe" for some reason).

The trackball won't work going right any more, and an even more aggravating issue started--clicking the trackball opens the camera, no matter what. This is without changing any settings.

It gets worse. Tonight, I'm still unable to really use the phone, and I notice the flash go off in my pocket... I pull the phone out, and it's literally taking pictures by itself every 5 seconds. I honest-to-god set it down on the table and watched it take probably 50 pictures by itself before doing a battery pull.

It's still doing it. I can't use the phone at all. If I manage to get into keypad lock to stop the pictures, I can't unlock the keypad. If I get it out of picture mode somehow, it goes right back in before I can do anything else.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm planning on taking it right to Verizon tomorrow, but I'm curious if this is a common problem, or at least a known one.

Thanks!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    No problem I've ever heard of....it sounds possessed
    Seriously though if you're still under warranty, take it back and exchange it.
    This sounds like a hardware malfunction for sure.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    WOW I have NEVER heard of a phone doing things like that. Sounds freaky. Take it back and get it replaced ASAP

Possibly the weirdest thing of all...

For about an hour earlier, it worked normal, before freaking out again.

The last hour or so now, it's working normal again. I don't get it.

sishgupta no está en línea Stack level 1
    Dont take it back, call an exercist...

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Just watch, as soon as you bring it in, it will go back to normal.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Funny enough, the phone is working 100% normally today again...

This is really freakin' weird.

silvermoon no está en línea Stack level 3
    i would seriously consider taking it in and having them swap ya out for a different one!!!
    silvermoon

lilladyj313 no está en línea Stack level 1

Solution to your problem ")

Brian,
    Sorry to hear that you're having issues....but I do have the solution as I just got a blackberry pearl and within the first few days....it was doing the exact same thing. I could literally send myself a message from my husbands phone and watch it come in on the blackberry....the little star would show up for a millisecond and disappear....things were just vanishing. I contacted Verizon and they instructed me to remove the battery and re-register the phone....and after the 4th or 5th time, I was over that! The only solution is to get a brand new one. Don't settle for anything less. You will only be inviting more headaches into your life. Not to mention the time you spend waiting.....ahhhh... modern conveniences!! Anyway....

Before you take it in, and because I'm sure that you don't want to lose everything that you have on your blackberry, go to your computer and pull up your blackberry desktop manager. Click on "Backup and restore" your information. Then, when you have that done....and please make sure that you do your backup....click on the "Switch Device Wizard"...then click "Switch Blackberry Devices"....follow the prompts....it'll come to a place where it tells you that you need to hook up the new device.....FREEZE....this is where you stop and take your phone in....get the new one, (and you don't have to hang out to have customer service transfer all of your information for you....YOU can choose what you want to transfer over from your computer. Just make sure that you completed the steps above and that your phone is activated so that you can make a call if you need to)....bring it home, plug in the new one and continue. It is at this point that you will need some detailed guidance, which I'm more than happy to walk you through the backup/restore if you would like. It's a great way to start with a clean slate and without the possibility of problems from the prior blackberry. You can contact me through here or via e-mail lilladyj313@gmail.com and I'd be more than happy to help save you and anyone else the headaches. I know I appreciate the people who have posted helpful information. If it weren't for them, I'd have a few electronic devices that I would've beat with a hammer!!! ") Anyway...thru trial and error, I found solutions to the problems and now have an an awesome system that I enjoy..... and I knew absolutely NOTHING about blackberry's before.

Ah....and before I forget....I'd like to suggest that you....MAKE SURE THAT YOU WIPE ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION OUT OF YOUR BLACKBERRY BEFORE YOU LEAVE your carrier's store. ( *after you've done the above....to to menu, options, security options, general settings, menu key, wipe handheld, answer ?, and follow prompt. It will then begin deleting all of your information. When it's complete, make sure that it's empty by checking the address book etc. There is no reason for them to hook it up to anything to delete your information.....and safer if you do it yourself, given the current state of affairs with identity theft etc....)

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    any liquid damage to the device?
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I just saw this. Far be it from me to discount the opinion of so many beautiful women regarding daemonic possession ... but I have the same gut feeling as Jonny. Did you get any water/steam, or worse, alcohol, under the keyboard?!?

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge View Post
    any liquid damage to the device?
    That's the same thing I was about to ask- it happened to me with my 8100 - I went to a club and danced for hours with my Pearl in my pocket- sweated a bit and caused the demon possession that is alluded to in the original post - I took out the battery and went to town on it with the blow dryer on cool air setting for a while and let it sit in a big cup of rice over night and it got better- had permanent trackball damage but nothing I couldn't deal with until I got my 8130.

Good luck...

tcrockett no está en línea Stack level 1
    mine is doing the exact same thing. The picture taking really is rather comical! Called Verizon. New one is on the way.