Hi everyone, I'm a new Red Pearl user, and have a few questions regarding synchronization ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dperdo01 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Lots of Gmail sync questions!

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Red Pearl user, and have a few questions regarding synchronization with my Gmail e-mail account.

• I was annoyed with getting my sent messages back to me so I followed the filtering steps in another thread, where I went onto my carrier's (AT&T) BIS website and filtered "from" messages from my own e-mail address. However, will I no longer receive the e-mails I send myself (for example, I sometimes send myself an attachment or something I want to print out later)?

If so, would I get them in my regular Internet mailbox even though I've filtered them away from my Blackberry? If that's the case, then I'd be OK with it
    • Also, how do i separate it so that I get my SMS messages under "messages" icon and my Gmail only under the e-mail messages icon -- i.e. not get the e-mails under the same place as SMS, too?
    • I just sent an e-mail message from my Gmail on my laptop. It doesn't show up as a sent message in my Blackberry Pearl -- is this normal? Does the Pearl only show the messages I sent from it (i.e. not from a computer)?
    • And is there any way to sync the two so that when I've already read a message on my Blackberry, it doesnt's how up as unread in my Gmail on my laptop? Or vice-versa, when I've read it online, it doesn't show as new on my Pearl?
    • Finally, do you Pearl and Gmail users out there recommend using Blackberry's e-mail service or is the Gmail app better, more convenient? For now the big draw-back to using the app seems to be that it doesn't push my e-mails to me -- I need to check if I have any new messages. Any other drawbacks? Pros?
    Thanks for all the help in advance!
    Last edited by dperdo01; 07-13-2007 at 03:59 PM.

TheAtwookie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23feac94

Re: Lots of Gmail sync questions!

I actually have these questions as well lol. Hopefully somebody will answer.

tom_vachon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AE3FA5

here we go.

1. messages -> options -> general options -> hide sent messages -> yes

2. depends what OS you are running. Can you tell us and post it in your profile?

3. Yes it can be normal. Depends your client on your laptop. Yo should specifiy "keep a copy on the server" and you should get it on your BB too.

4. Not really. Gmail seperates their POP from web. If you download your emails from your computer and does not have "keep a copy on the server" then your BB wont get it, if you are fast enough. The web side doesnt do anything against the POP server.

5. Blakcberry's hands down. I still have the gmail app for whole mail box searches, but it does not do push. The app formats your mail a little better but otherwise I am all BB.

And welcome to Pinstack!

Well I answered the first question myself: after having filtered e-mails to myself through my carrier's website, I do not get those sent e-mail messages anymore in my inbox (but I can still see the SMS messages I've sent). If I send myself an e-mail with an attachment or link I want, I'll get in my online Gmail inbox not in the BB. This is fine for me.

-- Re: #2: How do I check what OS I am using? Is there a place I can find it under? For now, under Options > About, it says: "v.4.2.0.73 (Platform 2.2.0.41)" is that it?

-- Re: #5: I've decided to keep my Gmal sync'ed with BB's email service just so that I know when I have a news message, but I will manage, reply, write, etc. in the Gmail App I just really like how it's nearly the same as the Internet Gmail experience what with great search features, tabbing, etc.
    ---> I've found that I also like Google Maps App more than the Blackberry Maps, to anyone else who was wondering.

PIN/ID
    24AE3FA5

your os would be 4.2.0.73. I would recommend, if you are comfortable upgrading, the newer OS'es have SMS/MMS and email seperated. If you want I can talk you through it, you can PIN me or hit me up on AIM if I am on. That will solve that problem.

Also I agree on google maps, I think almost everyone does.

I'm glad you like your BB, and let me know if you need hlep on the OS upgrade.

Tom,

Wow, you're the epitome of helpful! Thanks for everything.

I have no idea how to upgrade, so your step-by-step help would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Before I message you though, you ought to know I use a Mac and don't have a Destktop Manager -- I have the PocketMac SyncManager. I also use AT&T as my carrier (if that makes any difference).

Let me know if you can still help me even though I'm not a PC user!

THANKS!

PIN/ID
    24AE3FA5

Well I am a mac user, but that poses a big problem. Do you have parallels or some othe Windows solution. The new OS'es are not carrier specific, but they are EXE files.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Do you have access to a PC? That's the easiest way to do the upgrade. You can download Desktop Manager and the OS package to the PC and run the upgrades. Unless you upgrade to .94 or higher, you won't be able to separate out your SMS messages from your inbox. There are also a few other bells and whistles that you would gain access to, in addition to a smoother, faster OS.

This link will show you all of the available OS packages and where to get them.

This link will give you a walkthrough of the process.

You can download any Pearl OS for your phone, regardless of carrier. You just have to delete a file in the download to make it work properly. The walkthrough will show you. Good luck and post back here if you get hung up on anything.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 07-13-2007 at 09:55 PM.